Wikiposts

Losing confidence

Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:19 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of
Red face Losing confidence

I am a bit of a low ebb just now, and feel the older i get instead of being this self assured 40 something, i feel i am losing confidence at work. Therefore the thought of working in Aus makes me feel sick.

Perhaps its a new job here i need to boost my confidence.

I see all these confident, young nurses and think why don't i feel like that, after all i have been doing it since i was 17, or perhaps am just burnt out
Old Jun 11th 2006, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

parentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Losing confidence

Originally Posted by Margaret2
I am a bit of a low ebb just now, and feel the older i get instead of being this self assured 40 something, i feel i am losing confidence at work. Therefore the thought of working in Aus makes me feel sick.

I see all these confident, young nurses and think why don't i feel like that, after all i have been doing it since i was 17, or perhaps am just burnt out
Hello Margaret,

Sorry to hear that you are feeling so low. I am nearly 41 and, like you, I have been nursing since I was 17. I don't have a degree or a diploma either. I work in a small paediatric ward in a general hospital, but have decided that if we ever get to Melbourne, I am going to apply to work at the children's Hospital.

I sometimes feel very unconfident at work (I had a year off for maternity leave recently) and sometimes younger nurses make me feel inadequate. But then I remember something I have that they don't - experience. Not only have we got the nursing experience, but we also have life experience, which is very important. If I was an employer I would rather have you or I in my ward than a young (but confident) 20 year old!

The ward sister wrote me a reference for my skills assessment and even though I think I go to work, do my job, then go home again, she obviously didn't as it is a smashing reference. have faith in yourself and be whoever you want to be. and remember to have the confidence to move to the other side of the world at our age (and with a young family) takes some guts!!

Sorry for waffling on, but hope it all makes some kind of sense.

Take care, Karen
Old Jun 11th 2006, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean im feeling scared about going back to work, i havent worked in a hospital for over 9 years . I have worked in nursing homes in the mean time on and off, but even had to stop that 4 years ago. I want to work but know that being an EN it's a no go for hospitals, so will try nursing homes again. I have very liitle confidence in my own abilities, i struggle with OU course work and barely scraped a pass to get my diploma. I see all these highly educated nurses doing what i would consider doctors roles.
I think oz will be good for you, a new challenge and from what i can gather you will be highly thought of if you are a nurse from the UK. As they are behind the UK for new practice.
You have a lot to offer Margaret all that experience since you qualified. Keep your chin up lass .
Mandy
Old Jun 12th 2006, 6:58 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with some (but not all) of the younger nurses is that they are over confident....when the shit hits the fan - they haven't got a clue what to do. You know that saying....ignorance is bliss??? Yes I have seen this often where I work!

Keep your chin up mate .....come drink with me!

Jackie x
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

Jackie- that is SO true! I am currently working part time for the hospital bank after a 3 year break on extended maternity leave. I was a G grade before that, but am a D grade for the bank. Without fail when the shit hits the fan I am the one who ends up taking charge.

Margaret you have so much experience and there isn't a diploma or degree that could hold more worth. Have you ever spoken to any of these young nurses about how they really feel, I suspect alot of them are feeling abit out of their depth most of the time.

Take care

Wren x
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:57 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Thanx all for the replies.

Think i just feel stuck between a rock and a hard place just now, have been theatre nursing for around 20 years and never really got anywhere on the career ladder, as i do come over underconfident

Am just sick of it and wish i had went into some other nursing field years ago now, but as you are all probably aware you get into a money trap that restricts your choices

I also feel a little unsure of myself as all seem to have diploma's or degree's nowadays and am just an old fashioned nurse. I would go on to do a degree now, but am of to oz

Mind you some of the younger ones do make me laugh, i feel like am working with my teen and want to kill them half the time

Thanks Karen for saying you'd employ me, , little things mean alot
Old Jun 12th 2006, 8:23 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Let me tell you, these newly qualified nurses are not always young! Ive just qualified at 39 and I would rather work alongside mature experienced nurses any day. I admire and respect you all and wish I had the knowledge and expertise that you all have. Whenever I come across a dilemma or need advice, I always turn to the more senior nurses for advice. Dont feel inadequate because its us juiniors that aspire to your depth of knowledge and expertise!

Diane
Old Jun 12th 2006, 8:23 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx all for the replies.

Think i just feel stuck between a rock and a hard place just now, have been theatre nursing for around 20 years and never really got anywhere on the career ladder, as i do come over underconfident

Am just sick of it and wish i had went into some other nursing field years ago now, but as you are all probably aware you get into a money trap that restricts your choices

I also feel a little unsure of myself as all seem to have diploma's or degree's nowadays and am just an old fashioned nurse. I would go on to do a degree now, but am of to oz

Mind you some of the younger ones do make me laugh, i feel like am working with my teen and want to kill them half the time

Thanks Karen for saying you'd employ me, little things mean alot

Don't let it get you down Margaret. Why not have a change in direction when you get to Oz. What about a nice little day surgery job? Wouldn't mind one myself lol.

One of the best sister I ever worked with hasn't got a degree or diploma and she is in her 50's now and refuses to do it. She has been denied promotion cos she didnt do a degree. She has been an F grade for the past 10 years yet runs the ward like clockwork. G grade manager hasn't a clue what to do!
Your one in a million Margaret... and when you leave your colleagues will realise just how bloody brilliant you are!

Love Jackie. .....now come drink with me????
Old Jun 12th 2006, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

SCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Losing confidence

If it is anything like where I work hun the look confident because they don't actually know a lot! We loose our confidence as we understand the consequence of our actions! I feel the same too. Hope it all works out for you hun.

Regards
SCooper
x
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Don't let it get you down Margaret. Why not have a change in direction when you get to Oz. What about a nice little day surgery job? Wouldn't mind one myself lol.

One of the best sister I ever worked with hasn't got a degree or diploma and she is in her 50's now and refuses to do it. She has been denied promotion cos she didnt do a degree. She has been an F grade for the past 10 years yet runs the ward like clockwork. G grade manager hasn't a clue what to do!
Your one in a million Margaret... and when you leave your colleagues will realise just how bloody brilliant you are!

Love Jackie. .....now come drink with me????

That's part of the trouble Jackie, I worked in DSU for 8 years , then went bac to main theatres (been there for the last 18 months), to update my skills for oz and feel like a piece of crap, where in DSU i was left running the dept often and loved it , but now not even trusted to organize a tea-break

Right Jackie lets go tae the pub now
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:54 pm
Living the Dream!

That's part of the trouble Jackie, I worked in DSU for 8 years , then went bac to main theatres (been there for the last 18 months), to update my skills for oz and feel like a piece of crap, where in DSU i was left running the dept often and loved it , but now not even trusted to organize a tea-break

Right Jackie lets go tae the pub now
Right....18 months is long enough to update your experience. Go back to what you know and love! I am currently working in general HDU but may go back to cardiac surgery after a while.

Right, what ya having?
Old Jun 13th 2006, 4:09 am

Right....18 months is long enough to update your experience. Go back to what you know and love! I am currently working in general HDU but may go back to cardiac surgery after a while.

Right, what ya having?

Hello all , feeling much better this afo, went to work and spoke to my manager (forgot she is actually really nice and human), and we have worked out a plan for me One of them is she says she is coming to aus with me
No she was brill, and i just feel so much better

Nice LARGE glass of dry white wine, ta, infact just get the bottle
Old Jun 13th 2006, 6:17 am
Living the Dream!

Hello all , feeling much better this afo, went to work and spoke to my manager (forgot she is actually really nice and human), and we have worked out a plan for me One of them is she says she is coming to aus with me
No she was brill, and i just feel so much better

Nice LARGE glass of dry white wine, ta, infact just get the bottle

So pleased to hear that you are feeling better Margaret. Its amazing how a little chat can change things. I bet she told you how fantastic at your job you are and how she will miss you when you are gone!

Cheers!
Old Jun 13th 2006, 9:08 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Right, what ya having?
Hey Mrs JFW, I work in Cardiac Surgery ITU, where abouts are you going to live in Oz? Just wanted to knoww if you know some major hospitals with large Cardiac Surgery Units like where I work?

Diane
Old Jun 15th 2006, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

atkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of light

its been really interesting in reading all the replies. I am 44 and looking forward to the challenge that Oz will bring I too am scared, but I figure what have i got to loose. Only thing I'm worried about is going back to shift work, now in management and work 9-5 mon-fri so the s*** will hit the fan when i get on the ward. But I'm going to do some banking before we go. I keep saying to myself once a nurse always a nurse.
good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.