looking to get a graduate midwifery positon

Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

polkadot will become famous soon enoughpolkadot will become famous soon enough
Default looking to get a graduate midwifery positon

i was wondering if anyone can help me with finding out where i can apply for a graduate midwifery position for 2013 in melbourne?

i'm in my last year of studying my degree and my family and i already have validated visas for permanent residency. we intend to leave this time next year and although i know i should complete my preceptorship in the uk - which i would dearly love to do, limited jobs and family matters of teenage sons and schooling have contributed to our overall decision. basically, its now or never!

i have made a few inquiries and i'm getting rather conflicting advice... one agency said, no one will take me without 12 months experience, another said i must have 6 months experience and another said that's what a graduate programme is for and no experience needed, but obviously they cant guarantee if they will get the recruitment contract for next year (understandably).

at this point i'm perplexed and i like to be organised. is anyone able to put me in contact with someone albeit an agency or otherwise who might be able to steer me in the right direction please?

any advice or help would be much appreciated
Old Nov 13th 2011, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Caddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really nice
Default Re: looking to get a graduate midwifery positon

Hey Polkadot

Im a Midwife in Queensland and I reckon you should simply contact the hospitals directly. Bypass the agencies and contact the hospital directly. Agencies are handy but not essential for getting midwifery jobs - there is a massive shortage of Midwives and you will be welcomed with open arms.

Look for hospitals in your chosen area - public hospitals are best, find out who the Midwifery Director is and simply ask the question. Finding out who the NUM (Nurse unit manager) of maternity is also useful. Simply call the hospital and ask to speak with them. They work 9 - 5 Mon to Friday.
I guess that going through hospital recruitment is another option but I always find the NUM's really informative and keen to chat.

In QLD, new Graduate Midwives tend to start together and actually start on a graduate (1 year) programme. They are well supported and rotate through all midwifery areas. There are generally jobs for them at the end.
Try the Royal Melbourne Womens hospital but also have a look at Geelong and Sunshine hospital - both have great grad programmes.
Melbourne is very 'english' in its midwifery approach with loads of midwifery care models and home births. You'll love it

Good luck - just do it !!

Alison
Old Jan 9th 2012, 11:20 am
Just Joined

TheBuckos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Hope you dont mind me asking, but what visa's did you get? As I am currently studying Nursing, and I too want to emigrate once i qualify and wanting to get on a graduate nursing program, but am unsure about what visa I need to have?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TheBuckos
Hello,

Hope you dont mind me asking, but what visa's did you get? As I am currently studying Nursing, and I too want to emigrate once i qualify and wanting to get on a graduate nursing program, but am unsure about what visa I need to have?

my husband works in IT and we got our visas through his experience. i would have needed a years experience (i think) before i could have applied.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Caddy the cat lover
Hey Polkadot

Im a Midwife in Queensland and I reckon you should simply contact the hospitals directly. Bypass the agencies and contact the hospital directly. Agencies are handy but not essential for getting midwifery jobs - there is a massive shortage of Midwives and you will be welcomed with open arms.

Look for hospitals in your chosen area - public hospitals are best, find out who the Midwifery Director is and simply ask the question. Finding out who the NUM (Nurse unit manager) of maternity is also useful. Simply call the hospital and ask to speak with them. They work 9 - 5 Mon to Friday.
I guess that going through hospital recruitment is another option but I always find the NUM's really informative and keen to chat.

In QLD, new Graduate Midwives tend to start together and actually start on a graduate (1 year) programme. They are well supported and rotate through all midwifery areas. There are generally jobs for them at the end.
Try the Royal Melbourne Womens hospital but also have a look at Geelong and Sunshine hospital - both have great grad programmes.
Melbourne is very 'english' in its midwifery approach with loads of midwifery care models and home births. You'll love it

Good luck - just do it !!

Alison
thank you soo much for your reply alison, my apologies for not thanking you sooner, i meant to and got distracted by my dissertation writing! i had a feeling to contact the hospitals directly just as you said, and thankfully our friends on that side are on the lookout for the adverts in the local press.

thanks again
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:49 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Try contacting Werribee Mercy hospital, I know that have in the past taken UK trained midwives onto their graduate program and they are based on the west of Melbourne where property is reasonably priced.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

thank you so much for that info! i have looked them up and they seem to be very much like the hospital im training in. i think i may apply, however i would also be interested if there is anything on the east side nearer to mornington peninsula or in melbourne itself.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 11:16 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry, I live in Geelong and only know of Werribee hospital because a friend of mine (UK trained) got a grad position there. I'm unfamiliar with the hospitals further east.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Midwife99 is just really niceMidwife99 is just really niceMidwife99 is just really niceMidwife99 is just really niceMidwife99 is just really niceMidwife99 is just really niceMidwife99 is just really niceMidwife99 is just really nice

I would be very interested in this thread as I am an RM with 2.5 years experience currently looking for work in Melbourne or Geelong and welcome any advice and contacts regarding which hospitals are favourable to work in???
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 11:15 pm
Hussy

It's quite hard to get your foot in the door to the public hospital in Geelong unless you train here (so I am told) but you might have a good chance if you come over on a skilled visa, rather than a work sponsored one. The hospital here is run by Barwon Health and is called Geelong Hospital (imaginative name ) and it's a great place to work.

The private hospital here is run by St John of Gods and as far as I am aware they will sponsor your visa. However be prepared for a CS rate close to 50% and a very medicalised system.

For Melbourne hospitals the only one I know that sponsors visas is Werribee Mercy. Sunshine Hospital on Melbourne's West has a caseload/homebirth programme and a good reputation, although they have a lot of women with social problems as a result of the area they serve (drug issues, etc). Bear in mind I have never worked anywhere other than Geelong Hospital though.

HTH