Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Letter from Australia

Originally Posted by RAG62
Marie,
Have sent you a PM as am intersted in your views on Brisbane v Perth

Richard
Hi Richard,
I've PM you back, hope it helps but it's only our opinion, so will differ alot from what others may say.
Good luck
Marie
Old Jan 16th 2005, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

ecando will become famous soon enoughecando will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Is cleveland coastal? How far from Brisbane city is it - do you recommend or is it too early to say?

When do you start work? Has Laura started already or are you having a break 1st? I think when me and Marc arrive we will try to time things to give us a month off if the employers will let us - it gives time to get organised and settle in.

Thats nice that you and Nikki are close to each other - good to have some familiar support when you need it.

Lynn
Hi Lynn .... definitely coastal ... was sitting yesterday on Nikkers' jetty, with my feet in the water, sippin an ice cold beer, with the sun blazin' ... thinking of you all! TRUE I WAS!!!

Cleveland is wonderful ... expensive but wonderful. It's about 45 mins on the train, 20 km by car, but your would never know a major city was so close!

I'm still job hunting, but will keep you all updated, Laura has a job (she gone for part-time), but has another hospital phoning after her, so she's gonna phone them tomorrow.
It's GREAT having Nikki just down the road, and hopefully they feel the same about us! We get on great, and the kids do too, which is also nice.

Jez
xxx
Old Jan 16th 2005, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Well, I thought it high time that I took a few mins out of my busy (?????) schedule, and gave you all an update ....

The weather first ..... sun

Oh, drove through a real downpour last Saturday, but noting since.

Temperature? HOT!!!!!!!!

We junped in the car with friends today, and traveled northside (you have northsiders, those north of the river, and southsiders ... work THAT out for yourselves! LOL) and visited Redcliffe .

We drove through here last week (downpour) and thought it looked ok, but came back for a visit and saw the sea, and the lagoon, and spent the day ... bloody nice it was too!
Well worth a visit.

We then drove and had a look at Nudgee Beach, which is great for those of you wanting to amble up and down a estuary ...

We have really settled here now, and even with everything we still need to do (me get a job for one!) I can't see us even wanting to come back to Blighty. My youngest (12) is even wanting to start school! I was to say the least.

That's all for now .... there is steak and corn on the cob waiting for me to BBQ (the cooker remains unused in the house!), so best get cookin'.

Take care, and wrap up warm (sorry, can't resist it!), and can't wait to meet more of you who are brissy bound.

Jez
Jez
Old Jan 16th 2005, 4:51 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm so jealous of you!!!!! It has done nothing but pour down with rain and gale force winds here - Blizzards are forecast for tomorrow too!!!

Your posts just make me look forward to moving though - I guess this year I should get 2 summers!!!

Nikki has a jetty!!?? That sounds cool - watch a big shark dosen't come though and bite your leg off when you are dangling it tastily in the water

You get bull sharks in the canals around Brisbane

Keep the beers chillin and watch they don't go out of date before November!

Lynn
Old Jan 16th 2005, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

RAG62 will become famous soon enoughRAG62 will become famous soon enough

Jez,
Thanks and keep it up (as the actress said to the Bishop)! I hope you didn't get too much sand in your beer can. Makes me want to spit! LOL Bet your missing a pint a English real ale in an oldy worldy pub with the log fire burning brightly in the corner, snow outside and the children throwing snowballs at each other. Come on be honest - tell me it's horrible - it will save me a fortune id I don't have to emigrate

Seriously - what do favour at the moment - North or south of Brissie?

Richard
Old Jan 16th 2005, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keep the beers chillin and watch they don't go out of date before November!

Lynn
Lynn ... there is NO chance of them going out of date!

Old Jan 16th 2005, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wink Re: Letter from Australia

Originally Posted by RAG62
Jez,
Thanks and keep it up (as the actress said to the Bishop)! I hope you didn't get too much sand in your beer can. Makes me want to spit! LOL Bet your missing a pint a English real ale in an oldy worldy pub with the log fire burning brightly in the corner, snow outside and the children throwing snowballs at each other. Come on be honest - tell me it's horrible - it will save me a fortune id I don't have to emigrate

Seriously - what do favour at the moment - North or south of Brissie?

Richard
OK ... Rich it's really really horrible ... I'm sat on the floor in the study (no furniture in here yet ! ), looking out of the window at 08:17 ... and the bloody sun is shining again .... and there's hardly a cloud in the sky ... AGAIN ... and it's warm .... AGAIN ... and a gentle breeze .... AGAIN .... and I'm just sat in shorts ... AGAIN .....
It's torture .... torture I tell you ..... don't do it ... dont do it.

On the other hand .... get your house on the market, and get the heck over here as soon as you get your visa .. it's brilliant!

Yes the beginning is a little tough ... ok for me it was real tough, but that's long forgotten, and I've learnt and grown stronger from it. The whole family has.

Southside V Northside .... I am NOT getting into that little debate! (Others may be watching!) I love the Southside, only because I'm here, and sort of know my way around the tiny area I'm calling home for now. We went Northside yesterday ... 'cause it is nice too...

It's a real tough one ... you can get advice from loads of people about nice/not so nice areas ... the ONLY way to know is to turn up, and travel around a bit. Sorry, not helpful I know, but don't want to give you bad advice .. of course I'd say come to Cleveland, casue it's bloody nice, Nikkers is here, and of course I'm here, which should be all you need in life!
LOL

Jez
Old Jan 17th 2005, 11:14 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm confused South of what? South of the Brisbane river?

Silly Lynn
Old Jan 17th 2005, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

RAG62 will become famous soon enoughRAG62 will become famous soon enough

Jez,

The thought of you sat in your shorts has just made me feel rather queasy -LOL.
Okay I get the picture, I can read between the lines - I think you like it where you are!!!

By North v South, Lyn, I was meaning Sunshine Coast (north) v Gold Coast (south), and was asking Jez to come off the fence. But he gave a very diplomatic answer (and I have to admit the right one). Just take lots of photos Jez,of the "real" Brisbane. You know the everyday sort of thing - not just the things the tourist offices want you to see, and get them where we can gawp and admire and dream of being there so we can see what it is really like. (Just in case there are any children looking at the site - keep yourself out of the frame ).

Keep us informed Jez. Slip Slop Slap.

Rich
Old Jan 18th 2005, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

txmogga is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I know I am green with envy
I was in Cleveland briefly in October. Went through there with a friend to catch the ferry to North Straddie for 8 magical days of camping. I cannot think of too many better times in my life than that was : camping just off the beach, sitting round the fire late at night, music playing, plenty of cold ones, looking at the stars, listening to the waves, ahhhh it's heaven on earth.

Also saw a bit more of Redcliffe, and it is definitely in the top 5 of possible places to settle. It would be helpful for me if you could tell more about Redcliffe and the nursing employment situation (or any other info) there. Thanks for the link too.
txmogga
Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm confused South of what? South of the Brisbane river?

Silly Lynn

Hi Lynn ... yep south of the river ..

Jez
Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: Letter from Australia

Originally Posted by txmogga
Well, I know I am green with envy
I was in Cleveland briefly in October. Went through there with a friend to catch the ferry to North Straddie for 8 magical days of camping. I cannot think of too many better times in my life than that was : camping just off the beach, sitting round the fire late at night, music playing, plenty of cold ones, looking at the stars, listening to the waves, ahhhh it's heaven on earth.

Also saw a bit more of Redcliffe, and it is definitely in the top 5 of possible places to settle. It would be helpful for me if you could tell more about Redcliffe and the nursing employment situation (or any other info) there. Thanks for the link too.
txmogga
Redcliffe area?? Sorry, I don't know anymore than the road in .. the road out, and a nice beach and big pool for everyone to play in! Will definitely be going back ...

Nursing in redcliffe? Sorry don't know that either, but if it's the same as elsewhere, then there will be no probs ... although expect there to be a LOT of casual work available, (bank work I think it's called), rather than perm positions, although there are always lots of ads ...

Talking of which ..... info snippet of the day!

www.careerone.com.au This site has a HUGE pullout section in the Courier Mail paper on a Saturday ... well worth the $1.60!

Jez
Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

txmogga is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ecando
Redcliffe area?? Sorry, I don't know anymore than the road in .. the road out, and a nice beach and big pool for everyone to play in! Will definitely be going back ...

Nursing in redcliffe? Sorry don't know that either, but if it's the same as elsewhere, then there will be no probs ... although expect there to be a LOT of casual work available, (bank work I think it's called), rather than perm positions, although there are always lots of ads ...

Talking of which ..... info snippet of the day!

www.careerone.com.au This site has a HUGE pullout section in the Courier Mail paper on a Saturday ... well worth the $1.60!

Jez

Thanks for that.
Casual work is my favorite....I've always liked the variety.
I will be watching for your next update.
txmogga
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

can I just add it 22:00, and 28 Centigrade ... or 81 F!
and

Pictures are available here if anyone is interested in Bayside ... If you want to be added to the 'mailing list' for updates when new pictures are added, then just send an email or PM through!

Cheers

Jez
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

primrose will become famous soon enoughprimrose will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ecando
can I just add it 22:00, and 28 Centigrade ... or 81 F!
and

Pictures are available here if anyone is interested in Bayside ... If you want to be added to the 'mailing list' for updates when new pictures are added, then just send an email or PM through!

Cheers

Jez
Jez,

Thanks for sharing your photo's, it looks great.

Lisa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.