Job Interview

Old Feb 7th 2007, 5:46 am
dcm
Account Closed

dcm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Interview

Well after having some time out (well 7 months actually I thought I had better make an effort and look for some part time work. I have a job share practice nurse interview tomorrow - I know it is a bit late but does anyone have any advice they can give me on what's relevant as a PN here in Queensland? Are these interview usually very formal?

I have lots of relevant UK quals but obviously no Australian experience.

Many thanks for any help you can give

Debbie
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:18 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice
Default Re: Job Interview

Hi I also have just started as a Practice Nurse in Kawana. Last did that job in..............1982! Since then in ICU and School Health. This job entails ( been there 2 weeks!) basic treatment room stuff, dressings immunisations, ear syringing, ecgs, baby checks! Nothing too brain taxing! In fact I did not even have a formal interview, just went for a look around, met the nurses etc. Took in my CV and a couple of references which to be honest were not even checked as they offered me the job 2 hours later! Just be honest, ask questions, tell what experience you have etc. When I questioned the fast pace of me getting the job was told that they are desperate for nurses!
Which job are you going for, ther seems load of PN around. Keep in touch and let me know how you get on! Good luck!!!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:45 am
dcm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by vivi
Hi I also have just started as a Practice Nurse in Kawana. Last did that job in..............1982! Since then in ICU and School Health. This job entails ( been there 2 weeks!) basic treatment room stuff, dressings immunisations, ear syringing, ecgs, baby checks! Nothing too brain taxing! In fact I did not even have a formal interview, just went for a look around, met the nurses etc. Took in my CV and a couple of references which to be honest were not even checked as they offered me the job 2 hours later! Just be honest, ask questions, tell what experience you have etc. When I questioned the fast pace of me getting the job was told that they are desperate for nurses!
Which job are you going for, ther seems load of PN around. Keep in touch and let me know how you get on! Good luck!!!
Hi thanks for the reply
the job is with a GP surgery in Maroochydore - right next to the shopping centre (my husband is concerned!!!!) - I have spoken briefly to the nurse i will be sharing with and she sounds very nice ( a bit concerned that I was over qualified though)
I am a well qualified PN and OH nurse but as I don't have local experience I would like to test the waters a bit first - and it does sound like a nice job

deb

Last edited by dcm; Feb 7th 2007 at 9:02 am. Reason: missed a bit
Old Feb 7th 2007, 9:20 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Yes I know the one, I think it is the 7 day one bulk billing. I was going to go for that one ( seems to have been vacant for a while) but got put off as it involves weekends. Anyway let me know how you get on, and good luck again!: Have you worked out here at all yet or is this your first Ozzie experience? thumbup:
Old Feb 7th 2007, 9:26 am
dcm
Account Closed

Hi
Its a Monday to Friday job (I'm not keen on weekend work!!) - but as it is job share it's 2 days per week - maybe 3.
I've been a lady of leisure since I got here in August so I need to do something more than the Buderim coffee shops now!

Deb
Old Feb 7th 2007, 9:56 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to wish you good luck for your interview! Let us know how you get on!

jackie x
Old Feb 7th 2007, 10:14 am
dcm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Just want to wish you good luck for your interview! Let us know how you get on!

jackie x
ta very much - I was a nursing officer in the raf for 20 years - i left 2 years ago but was asked to go back as a civilian advisor -which i did. so this is my first 'civvy' interview since 1985!!!!
deb
Old Feb 7th 2007, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice

Originally Posted by dcm
Well after having some time out (well 7 months actually I thought I had better make an effort and look for some part time work. I have a job share practice nurse interview tomorrow - I know it is a bit late but does anyone have any advice they can give me on what's relevant as a PN here in Queensland? Are these interview usually very formal?

I have lots of relevant UK quals but obviously no Australian experience.

Many thanks for any help you can give

Debbie
Good luck with the interview, sure you will be fine, Jackie
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:31 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Job Interview

Good luck Debbie, you'll be fine, let us know asap how you get on.
Clairex
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:10 am
dcm
Account Closed

Hi all
thought i'd give you some feed back - might come in handy for someone else.

well I had the interview. It lasted about 15-20 mins - no clinical stuff - just basic questions about teamwork - (am I willing to empty the bin?), experience, family committments!! (who will look after my daughter while i work!!!), nothing special really. They were very nice and it was quite a relaxed interview but i did get the impression they wondered why I was applying and that I was maybe over qualified (they didn't say as such but just the way the questions were phrased). I tried to explain that the job sounded great and the hours were perfect so we'll see what happens.

When they asked me about my experience it was obvious that I was used to working in more of a nurse practioner role they explained that the doctors do most things - including all cervical cytology- so anyone like me who likes to be fully involved might have a bit of a shock.

someone in the system already is probably better placed than me to know what really goes on, but felt like they just like treatment room nurses.

As i worked really hard to get my MSc I don't want to pretend I haven't done it just to get a job so I am going up the uni next week to see what else I could do (maybe teach).

anyway thanks for all your messages of support and good luck to anyone else searching for that perfect job.

debbie