IELTS for UK Nurses......Yes or NO ?

Old Feb 27th 2011, 9:27 pm
its only me..!

bayst is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS for UK Nurses......Yes or NO ?

Hi, have just come back from an Australian Immigration event here in the UK, I spoke to an healthcare employer who (in her words) was certain that IELTS was no longer required, if you could a) prove your secondary education was taken and taught in English and b)Your Nursing diploma/degree was also taken and taught in English.

I questioned this as it conflicts with a recent email I received from AHPRA stating that all International qualified persons must complete the IELTS test.

Everyone seems to have a different interpretation of the NMBA guidelines given to AHPRA.........Aaarrggghhhh!!!!!

Please, Please could someone with the right contacts either in Australia,Ahpra,NMBA or within the Immigration Dept.........get a definitive answer, as the current advice being given to Nurses within the UK is inconsistent at best and just plain wrong the rest of the time.

Im sure this is a bone of contention for many nurses and immigration agents alike, many of whom would also like to know the official/current interpretation.

If any others have recent communication from NMBA / AHPRA or experience of the process it would be good to hear from you and how you got on.

Kind Regards
Miss P Doff (pseudonym)

Keep Smilin'
Old Feb 27th 2011, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS for UK Nurses......Yes or NO ?

Originally Posted by bayst
Hi, have just come back from an Australian Immigration event here in the UK, I spoke to an healthcare employer who (in her words) was certain that IELTS was no longer required, if you could a) prove your secondary education was taken and taught in English and b)Your Nursing diploma/degree was also taken and taught in English.

I questioned this as it conflicts with a recent email I received from AHPRA stating that all International qualified persons must complete the IELTS test.

Everyone seems to have a different interpretation of the NMBA guidelines given to AHPRA.........Aaarrggghhhh!!!!!

Please, Please could someone with the right contacts either in Australia,Ahpra,NMBA or within the Immigration Dept.........get a definitive answer, as the current advice being given to Nurses within the UK is inconsistent at best and just plain wrong the rest of the time.

Im sure this is a bone of contention for many nurses and immigration agents alike, many of whom would also like to know the official/current interpretation.

If any others have recent communication from NMBA / AHPRA or experience of the process it would be good to hear from you and how you got on.

Kind Regards
Miss P Doff (pseudonym)

Keep Smilin'

Try the immi forum: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Maybe a mod can move this for you.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Kind Regards
Miss P Doff (pseudonym)

Keep Smilin'
Have a look at this :doucument. In Section 1 b) it states that an IELTS test must be taken for anyone who course was not taught 100% in English - it doesn't state an exemption, just a requirement.

It would not be the first time someone in bureaucracy states something completely different from the regulations.

I would email AHPRA again and point that section out to them.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Have a look at this :doucument. In Section 1 b) it states that an IELTS test must be taken for anyone who course was not taught 100% in English - it doesn't state an exemption, just a requirement.

It would not be the first time someone in bureaucracy states something completely different from the regulations.

I would email AHPRA again and point that section out to them.
And section 1 a) states that international applicants do need to take IELTS.

A UK nurse is an international qualified nurse and thus the IELTS is required.

We have been here quite a lot lately.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:21 am
ABCDiamond

Looking at the AHPRA rules logically ...
English language skills registration standard
This registration standard applies to all applicants for initial registration.

All internationally qualified applicants for medical registration, or applicants who qualified for medical registration in Australia but did not complete their secondary education in English, must demonstrate that they have the necessary English language skills for registration purposes.
http://www.medicalboard.gov.au/Medic...titioners.aspx
This seems to say that if you qualified in Australia AND completed secondary education in English, then you do NOT need to take the IELTS.

But other than that, you need to take IELTS.

Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

terrik is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Looking at the AHPRA rules logically ...
English language skills registration standard
This registration standard applies to all applicants for initial registration.

All internationally qualified applicants for medical registration, or applicants who qualified for medical registration in Australia but did not complete their secondary education in English, must demonstrate that they have the necessary English language skills for registration purposes.
http://www.medicalboard.gov.au/Medic...titioners.aspx
This seems to say that if you qualified in Australia AND completed secondary education in English, then you do NOT need to take the IELTS.

But other than that, you need to take IELTS.
Hi,
I am a UK qualified nurse and I am also applying for reg in Oz. I contacted APHRA and they said that if i could provide a letter from the university stating that I have completed my nursing degree in the English language I would not have to take the ilets test!

Terri.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terrik
Hi,
I am a UK qualified nurse and I am also applying for reg in Oz. I contacted APHRA and they said that if i could provide a letter from the university stating that I have completed my nursing degree in the English language I would not have to take the ilets test!

Terri.
Whereas their written guidance states that you do. It would probably help if the staff understood the rules, save a lit of confusion on this matter. I expect you haven't actually got skills assessmemt yet?
Old Mar 1st 2011, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

terrik is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Whereas their written guidance states that you do. It would probably help if the staff understood the rules, save a lit of confusion on this matter. I expect you haven't actually got skills assessmemt yet?
AHPRA said I dont need to have a skills assessment as I have provided a letter from uni stating that I have taken all my exams and assessments in the English language..

Hope this helps
Old Mar 1st 2011, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

allisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really nice

Is this the same for nz?????

It's so crazy the answer isn't 100% clear!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

allisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really nice

Have answered my own query after a bit more searching!

http://www.nursingcouncil.org.nz/ind...in-New-Zealand