Wikiposts

IELTS

Old Aug 25th 2007, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

erika is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down IELTS

Hi,
Has anyone done this test yet? Dont know about you guys but Im a bit miffed that Ive go to do this test:curse: Have just looked on their website and there are only certain dates available to do the test unless you want to travel miles around the country. There is an academic test or a general test. I suppose we have to do the academic test?? I have no choice though because without it I will lose 5 points taking me under the 120 required points.
I'm stressed now and just needed to have a little moan about this.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice
Default Re: IELTS

Originally Posted by erika
Hi,
Has anyone done this test yet? Dont know about you guys but Im a bit miffed that Ive go to do this test:curse: Have just looked on their website and there are only certain dates available to do the test unless you want to travel miles around the country. There is an academic test or a general test. I suppose we have to do the academic test?? I have no choice though because without it I will lose 5 points taking me under the 120 required points.
Hi Erika,
I know what you mean. I can't understand it myself. Some would say that some British people are unable to speak good English but surely anyone who has been through university and successfully completed a nursing or midwifery course must have a good grasp of the English language and so should automatically get the extra points.

One good thing though, we only need to do the general test

Mark
Old Aug 25th 2007, 8:19 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

There are four parts to the IELTS, reading, speaking, listening and writing. As native speakers you should breeze the listening and speaking parts. Just be sure to keep up with the listening as the tape will play only once. It will be easy for you, just don't let your mind wander.

The readings should also not prove too difficult as they are aimed at a general audience that has at least a secondary education.

The writing section is a bit different depending on whether you are doing the academic or general IELTS. The academic writing askes you to describe a graph, a chart, a diagram or some process. It isn't asking for your opinion, just asking for your ability to describe something in around 150 to 200 words. Just remember WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get).

The general IELTS writing segment consists of writing a letter of complaint or explanation about some situation e.g. 'the refrigerator in your rental unit makes too much noise'.

Both the academic and general will also ask you to write an essay of at least 250 words asking your opinion about some general interest topic. You will have an hour for both sections of the writing segment.

It's a pain in the backside and I think an unnecessary expense for native English speakers, but if that is one of the hoops you jump through to get where you want to go, don't sweat it. The IELTS shouldn't be too much of a problem. Don't get plastered the night before the test and give it a reasonable effort and you should end up with a satisfactory score.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cheshiremark
Hi Erika,
I know what you mean. I can't understand it myself. Some would say that some British people are unable to speak good English but surely anyone who has been through university and successfully completed a nursing or midwifery course must have a good grasp of the English language and so should automatically get the extra points.

Mark

Not always true!

On my course (mental health) we had quite a lot of students from africa (and for some reason, only in mental health, not the other nursing groups)

Im afraid to say that the standard of english for some was very poor, but I know that they did go on to pass the course!
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice

Originally Posted by adiestubbs
Not always true!

On my course (mental health) we had quite a lot of students from africa (and for some reason, only in mental health, not the other nursing groups)

Im afraid to say that the standard of english for some was very poor, but I know that they did go on to pass the course!
Hiya Adie,
That surprises me because at my University, and I assume they're all the same, they demanded a high standard of academic essay - losing points for minor spelling mistakes, grammar, use of 1st person notation, incorrect use of reference and citations. There was also the research module in which we had to read research papers and understand all about quantative and qualitive variables and interpret the the data and write our own conclusions backed up with evidence. I was on the adult branch of nursing but I assume the requirements for mental health essays was of similar difficulty.

Mark
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:43 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
yep, miffed too!!

sheffield hallam uni do it once a month ... but they havent finalised their dates for 2008 yet, said they would be putting them on the uni website in november some time.
as far as i know they have places available for dates in sept/oct/nov/dec - will let you know when they let me know which date i have got
sue x
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Hiya Adie,
That surprises me because at my University, and I assume they're all the same, they demanded a high standard of academic essay - losing points for minor spelling mistakes, grammar, use of 1st person notation, incorrect use of reference and citations. There was also the research module in which we had to read research papers and understand all about quantative and qualitive variables and interpret the the data and write our own conclusions backed up with evidence. I was on the adult branch of nursing but I assume the requirements for mental health essays was of similar difficulty.

Mark
Yes, that sounds the same.

The pass mark was only 40% though for exams/essays and you could re-take it until you passed, within reason.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Hi Erika,

Mark
Hi Mark,
Makes it a little better that we have to do the general and not academic test.Looked at some samples last night and whilst I'm sure i wouldnt have any probs doing academic test it did seem slightly more difficult, really had to think about answers and had to keep going back to the text as kept forgetting what i had read...or maybe that was just the wine
I just really begrudge having to pay the fee but I suppose its a small price to pay for a whole new world eh.

erika
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
yep, miffed too!!

sheffield hallam uni do it once a month ... but they havent finalised their dates for 2008 yet, said they would be putting them on the uni website in november some time.
as far as i know they have places available for dates in sept/oct/nov/dec - will let you know when they let me know which date i have got
sue x
Cheers Sue,
Keep me informed. I will let you know whwn i book mine too. Will be doing mine at Nottm Uni.
Erika
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by happynz
There are four parts to the IELTS, reading, speaking, listening and writing. As native speakers you should breeze the listening and speaking parts. Just be sure to keep up with the listening as the tape will play only once. It will be easy for you, just don't let your mind wander.

The readings should also not prove too difficult as they are aimed at a general audience that has at least a secondary education.

The writing section is a bit different depending on whether you are doing the academic or general IELTS. The academic writing askes you to describe a graph, a chart, a diagram or some process. It isn't asking for your opinion, just asking for your ability to describe something in around 150 to 200 words. Just remember WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get).

The general IELTS writing segment consists of writing a letter of complaint or explanation about some situation e.g. 'the refrigerator in your rental unit makes too much noise'.

Both the academic and general will also ask you to write an essay of at least 250 words asking your opinion about some general interest topic. You will have an hour for both sections of the writing segment.

It's a pain in the backside and I think an unnecessary expense for native English speakers, but if that is one of the hoops you jump through to get where you want to go, don't sweat it. The IELTS shouldn't be too much of a problem. Don't get plastered the night before the test and give it a reasonable effort and you should end up with a satisfactory score.
Hi Happynz,
Thanks for explaining IELTS...sounds a little less daunting now even though as you quite rightly point out an uneccessary expense.
Erika
Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:07 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Hi Happynz,
Thanks for explaining IELTS...sounds a little less daunting now even though as you quite rightly point out an uneccessary expense.
Erika
I've spent a good chunk of my working life the past few years teaching exam skills for getting a high band score on the IELTS. Any questions related to the exam itself fire away and I'd be pleased to help where I can.

So yeah, if you are a native speaker the speaking part should be a breeze, no preparation needed. It will take about fifteen minutes. The listening should also be easy, just be sure not to let your mind wander.

The listening is several parts. Follow along and you should get a top mark.

The readings are an hour long, but if you are a native speaker and are reasonably awake you should be able to answer all forty questions in less than the hour given.

The writing is broken into two parts. This is probably the most difficult part of the test. You will have an hour to produce two pieces of writing. The first piece will be descriptive writing (at least 150 words) and the second will be an opinion essay of at least 250 words. You might want to go back to your secondary school expository writing notebooks to review how to write an essay.

But really, as a native speaker, you should breeze it.

Good luck.

Old Aug 26th 2007, 3:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
DIAC only require general IELTS test. Assuming the ANMC will still not require an IELTS from U.K.-trained nurses, then you don't need to do the academic test.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by happynz
I've spent a good chunk of my working life the past few years teaching exam skills for getting a high band score on the IELTS. Any questions related to the exam itself fire away and I'd be pleased to help where I can.

So yeah, if you are a native speaker the speaking part should be a breeze, no preparation needed. It will take about fifteen minutes. The listening should also be easy, just be sure not to let your mind wander.

The listening is several parts. Follow along and you should get a top mark.

The readings are an hour long, but if you are a native speaker and are reasonably awake you should be able to answer all forty questions in less than the hour given.

The writing is broken into two parts. This is probably the most difficult part of the test. You will have an hour to produce two pieces of writing. The first piece will be descriptive writing (at least 150 words) and the second will be an opinion essay of at least 250 words. You might want to go back to your secondary school expository writing notebooks to review how to write an essay.

But really, as a native speaker, you should breeze it.

Good luck.

Cheers
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice

I am going to Western Australia and have contacted the NBWA to register there.

They also mentioned the test but they said that if I provide a letter from my primary or secondary school saying that I had completed my education in England then that is sufficient and I wont have to do the test.

Contacted the school but its holidays so dont know if they will get it yet and then hope their records go back to the 80s when I was a student there

Jackie
xxxxx
Old Aug 29th 2007, 1:08 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Sue,
Keep me informed. I will let you know whwn i book mine too. Will be doing mine at Nottm Uni.
Erika
hi erika
i will have a look at notts uni site ... i thought we had to do the academic test so that was the one i applied for (hallam uni do only academic in nov and dec)
sue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.