How to start?

Old Feb 15th 2007, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Alex1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to start?

I'm wanting to move over to Australia soon as a nurse, currently with 18 months experience although it will likely be two years by the time everything is sorted. I've sent of applications to a couple of agencies and fairly positive responses, and starting my application for registration in Victoria.

I was wondering whether anybody could offer me any advice with regards to finding a job, and in what order to do everything ie, Visa's etc. Would it be a good idea to contact a hospital directly rather than via an agency? And what are the interviews like? What kind of things am I likely to be questioned about?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alex.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

carolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: How to start?

Hi Alex,
I too am a Nurse moving over to Perth with my young family.
I can only give you my experience so far, as we are all different some of this mayn't apply to you.
First and fore most is your skills assessment by the ANMC (equivalent to our nursing body here). Its long winded and you have to collect various bits from training days, certificates and so forth. The form is available to down load from the Australian web site ANMC, under the international section. You also have to get in touch with London (our nursing body) to ask for a verification form. (all costs money!!) be prepared..
But as I say we are all going on different Visa's. I am going on a skilled 136, and not with any visa company.
My main advise is to read, read and read again until it starts to make sense and sinks in (and it will) Its mainly the Jargon I have found difficult!!
You also have to be very clear on the visa you are going in on is the right one for you..Migration experts can generally help with this free of charge for initial consultation (I found it helpful, it also made me think I could do it myself, with out their help!)
I would be happy to answer ant question you have or break the above down into some sense, but as I don't know where you are up to then I could be rambling rubbish all day...
Good Luck
Caroline
';
Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

SenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really nice
Default Re: How to start?

Originally Posted by Alex1985
I'm wanting to move over to Australia soon as a nurse, currently with 18 months experience although it will likely be two years by the time everything is sorted. I've sent of applications to a couple of agencies and fairly positive responses, and starting my application for registration in Victoria.

I was wondering whether anybody could offer me any advice with regards to finding a job, and in what order to do everything ie, Visa's etc. Would it be a good idea to contact a hospital directly rather than via an agency? And what are the interviews like? What kind of things am I likely to be questioned about?

Alex.

All depends on what type of visa you go for. For instance I got an ENS visa so didn't need a skills assessment from the ANMC, just needed to register with state nurses board. Couldn't apply for visa until hospital sorted their end out but didn't take long at all really. Most delay from reg board and DIMIA. Waiting for a case officer and then for another when mine went on holls!
I found going with an agency invaluble as loads of advice/support before, during and after emigrating. As I've said before, Healthstaff Recruitment are tops!
My interview with agency was by phone and all the usual questions. I didn't have an interview for my post, job offer made on basis of my CV. I insisted on ringing them though and having a chat with the unit manager to get a feel for the ward etc. Accepted the post and am very happy.

Good luck,

Jo x
Old Feb 21st 2007, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alex1985

Alex.
Forget the agencies.

You can apply for 136PR visa if you have been qualifed 12months and have been working for 12 of the last 18.

136 gives you much more flexiblitiy than the other visas. If you are going through an agency then it is highly likely that it will be via a 457 temp visa. Can be problematic. No medicare, buying house can be prob, time doesn't count towards citizenship, if you hate the empolyer and leave you could end up coming home. Works for some, doesn't work for others. With your experience then it should be 136 all the way. 457 is mainly for those just qualified and haven't got the required experience. There are other visas of course 134, Regional visas etc check out www.immi.gov.au

I reckon you should apply for state registration first, then get your skills assessed (as its cheaper) so if you are heading for Vic, check out the website to see how to register www.nbv.org.au

To find a job, google hospitals in Victoria and contact them direct. They will be happy to hear from you and deal direct rather than through an agency.

You RGN or RMN?

good luck

Ade S
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

SenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really nice

Originally Posted by adiestubbs
Forget the agencies.

You can apply for 136PR visa if you have been qualifed 12months and have been working for 12 of the last 18.

136 gives you much more flexiblitiy than the other visas. If you are going through an agency then it is highly likely that it will be via a 457 temp visa. Can be problematic. No medicare, buying house can be prob, time doesn't count towards citizenship, if you hate the empolyer and leave you could end up coming home. Works for some, doesn't work for others. With your experience then it should be 136 all the way. 457 is mainly for those just qualified and haven't got the required experience. There are other visas of course 134, Regional visas etc check out www.immi.gov.au

I reckon you should apply for state registration first, then get your skills assessed (as its cheaper) so if you are heading for Vic, check out the website to see how to register www.nbv.org.au

To find a job, google hospitals in Victoria and contact them direct. They will be happy to hear from you and deal direct rather than through an agency.

You RGN or RMN?

good luck

Ade S
Ade is right, I wouldn't bother with a temp 457 either though it has worked out well for some on here, depends on your situation. 136 is the most flexible but if you want to come out soon and not have too long a wait, an ENS visa allows you to do just that. There is a three year tie in, but as long as you make an attempt to work, you can leave before this and not lose your visa.

Whilst I would advise choosing an agency carefully, I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand. They cost nothing, are very helpful in finding jobs and as I said, are an amazing source of info and advice. My agency ensured I got an ENS PR instead of a 457 as originally offered.

If you are in no hurry and want to be completely flexible then def go for the 136. If (like us) you just want to get on and get here then other options are worth thinking about, but it really depends on your personal situation.

Whatever you choose, you'll get here in the end and I reckon you won't be disappointed!

Good luck!

Jo