Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations
Reload this Page >

How does working in Oz compare to UK - you who have made it?

How does working in Oz compare to UK - you who have made it?

Old Dec 29th 2004, 1:08 pm
ad4ozz

Question How does working in Oz compare to UK - you who have made it?

Hiya....

Anyone who has made it down under how does it compare to the UK working conditions? ie. hours, holidays, slave masters or layed back and working conditions in general.

I have flexi time here, was about to get extra holidays for 10yrs plus service ... don't expect to get all that over there but just wondered what the real world there was like... :scared: so I can prepare myself.

Old Dec 29th 2004, 4:44 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How does working in Oz compare to UK - you who have made it?

Originally Posted by ad4ozz
Hiya....

Anyone who has made it down under how does it compare to the UK working conditions? ie. hours, holidays, slave masters or layed back and working conditions in general.

I have flexi time here, was about to get extra holidays for 10yrs plus service ... don't expect to get all that over there but just wondered what the real world there was like... :scared: so I can prepare myself.
good question honey, I would be interested to hear others perspective on this too. I think I may have the rose tinted specs on from time to time, but keep shaking them off as realise that work in Oz will throw up the same bitchy nurses and work problems as anywhere else :scared:

Lynn
Old Dec 30th 2004, 7:15 am
ad4ozz

Yep sure the twisters and the back stabbers will be moving over to but if we can find a nice little community job maybe we can avoid the worst of them... . Think the community may still be worth a pay drop just for the extra freedom it entails.

Old Dec 30th 2004, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

" was about to get extra holidays for 10yrs plus service ... "

My husband and I both worked as nurses in the NHS for 10+ years and had never heard of this until we came to OZ ...............but of course we don't qualify for it here because we're newbies !!!

With regard to wages , we only had to show them intial entry to the UKCC and they payed us according to that and experience in jobs before.
It's different in every state I believe and even , as in the UK , between hospitals. My advice , if you're going for P.R. , suss it out before you come , do the phone interview bit if you want , but don't agree or sign anything until you get here because until you're here , you don't really know what you're getting.Does that make sense ? There is loads of work out here , you could probably shop around to find exactly what you're looking for. Can't give you any useful links because we appear to be the only nurses that came to NSW , everyone else going to Brissy , Perth ,Adelaide and of course Jez down in Melbourne !
All the best , Tass.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

purple swatch will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ad4ozz
Hiya....

hiya
do you work for BMI by any chance?? we have just had our hols reviewed and i now get an extra week for 10ys+ service,i think they have been diddling us for ages,imagine all that money they've saved!!
debs
Old Dec 30th 2004, 11:23 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by purple swatch
hiya
do you work for BMI by any chance?? we have just had our hols reviewed and i now get an extra week for 10ys+ service,i think they have been diddling us for ages,imagine all that money they've saved!!
debs
It is agenda for change that is giving everyone with 5 years + service and 10 years + service extra hols. I have 4.5 years service so just miss out and get absolutely a big fat 0 extra days off Seems very unfair for some to get it and not others, I thought they were meant to be trying to retain E grades like me!?

Lynn
Old Dec 30th 2004, 5:55 pm
ad4ozz

Wink Re: How does working in Oz compare to UK - you who have made it?

They are only giving us the extra holidays to keep us in UK but 'to late was the cry' ...should have done it years ago and they want us to be Doctors now without the Doctors wages.

I'm a nurse prescriber and get nothing at all for doing it can you see a Doctor doing that....b*gger it i'm off to Oz if I can.

Can't be any worse than this country as it's going down the pan.... .

Can you tell i've been to work today... .