help!! too many job offers!!!

Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

rachel118 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help!! too many job offers!!!

hello, hope someone/everyone can help! i have been offered 2 jobs but cannot decide between the 2! one is at sir charles gairdner and the other is at st john of god - murdoch. both surgical, both of which i would be happy working at. what is making me hesitate is one is public, the other a private hospital.
could anyone help with info re either of these hospitals specifically - what they are like to work for, access by public transport, and any general advice re differences in working in the public/private areas eg ?better support or education in private, level of acuteness etc.
any help would be greatly appreciated. my brain is beginning to ache with the frequency i change my mind!!!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

cheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant future
Default Re: help!! too many job offers!!!

Hi Rachel,

Congratulations on securing the offer of 2 posts in Perth
I can only comment on working for Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. I cant fault it in any way and would recommend it as an employer. Even been a patient as well
Lots of opportunities for development and promotion if thats what you want.

I drive to Charlies from SOR as to use the train and arrive in time for the early shift is not possible. You can get the train to Perth City centre but then have to get a bus out to Nedlands but I dont think that there is one early enough for the 7am start

Cant comment about the private hospital though, maybe someone else can offer some advice.

Good luck with your choice
CM
Old Feb 19th 2008, 5:27 am
Just Joined

Emma07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rachel118
hello, hope someone/everyone can help! i have been offered 2 jobs but cannot decide between the 2! one is at sir charles gairdner and the other is at st john of god - murdoch. both surgical, both of which i would be happy working at. what is making me hesitate is one is public, the other a private hospital.
could anyone help with info re either of these hospitals specifically - what they are like to work for, access by public transport, and any general advice re differences in working in the public/private areas eg ?better support or education in private, level of acuteness etc.
any help would be greatly appreciated. my brain is beginning to ache with the frequency i change my mind!!!
Hi Rachel

I've actually worked at both! Advantages to both places. A lot depends on where you live. Murdoch has much nicer grounds. Some of the wards at "charlies" are quite old - murdoch is only 12 years old.
Murdoch is on the new train line - so easy to get to now.

acuity on the wards will be similar. Education that's on offer will be similar. Pay rates are the same.

It's a hard decision, isn't it!!
Goodluck
Old Feb 19th 2008, 5:29 am
Just Joined

Emma07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Emma07
Hi Rachel

I've actually worked at both! Advantages to both places. A lot depends on where you live. Murdoch has much nicer grounds. Some of the wards at "charlies" are quite old - murdoch is only 12 years old.
Murdoch is on the new train line - so easy to get to now.

acuity on the wards will be similar. Education that's on offer will be similar. Pay rates are the same.

It's a hard decision, isn't it!!
Goodluck
should have added that I moved to Murdoch from Charlies. Personally - I'm happier at Murdoch - it's much friendlier.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:34 am
Just Joined

janeanddan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rachel!

Don't think i can be much help to you but thought i'd contact you anyway as i'm also trying to figure out where in Perth to get a job. I'm travelling to Perth on a working holiday visa and looking for short term work. I have an offer of an interview at Freemantle Hospital, heard both positive and negative fedback from here though. I've heard good feedback from both Sir Charles and St John of God. It's just impossible to know what to do for the best! Have you been offered a job on a surgical ward at SJOG or is it in DPU? Had a quick look at website and the only surgical service i could find was DPU.

Jane x
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

hello, thanks to all for advice. i have accepted the job at charlies - surgical.

at sjog - murdoch i was offered a post on the surgical floor. i have a friend at fremantle hospitial who says it is great - best place to work. offered job there too but might have to live north of perth so had to decline.

have you thought about working for an agency if you only want to work short term- then not stuck somewhere you dont like? good luck
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:39 am
Just Joined

janeanddan is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, have thought about agency but think i woud would feel more confident settling in one place. Sent an email yesterday to SJOG Murdoch and have been offered an interview! Congratulations on your job and hope it works out for you at Charlies. Silly question but if at the end of an interview you still have'nt made your final decision eg if you have another interview for another hospital lined up how do you ask them if you can get back to them with your decision without sounding ungrateful?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=rachel118;5955579]hello, thanks to all for advice. i have accepted the job at charlies - surgical.

Congratulations on your job, and all your offers! Would be interested to hear how you get on as we've requested info on working there. Not until early next year though.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

hello, with murdoch job offer i went through an agency, the hospital told them to offer me the post and i told the agency i didnt want it. with the other jobs - 2 offered immediately, i was unclear with the 4th whether they had offered me the post - end of interview they said i look forward to meeting me soon! job offer via email. i was going on holiday for 2 weeks following interview so said that i would be out of contact for 2 weeks and would let them know my decision then. did feel very awkward as half of it was i had other interviews - could hardly say i am going to wait and see if i get a better offer!!!! i would expect that they know people are going for more than one job and wont expect an instant decision. you can always blame the delay in decision on someone else - eg if have partner say you are waiting to find out where his/her job will be so that you can find work within good commute distance for you both and will know within a week!?
good luck