Help to decide

Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Nightingale12 is just really niceNightingale12 is just really niceNightingale12 is just really niceNightingale12 is just really niceNightingale12 is just really niceNightingale12 is just really niceNightingale12 is just really niceNightingale12 is just really nice
Default Help to decide

I am a theatre nurse with over13 yrs experience. I have passed my RN exams and hv been waiting since 2006 for U.S immigration to open its retrogression but till now no news. Meanwhile I completed my Msc Nursing and now am tempted to go Australia as many of my friends moved ... I have a family with 2 kids 8 and 4 year old boys... Husband is equally confused like me to make a decision... We are looking for good weather and good life. Can anyone suggest what is best, is it worth waiting for u.s or will I be able to have an affordable life in Australia ?
Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:48 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help to decide

Originally Posted by Nightingale12
We are looking for good weather and good life.
What do you mean by that?

Surely those things are personal to you. We all have different opinions.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 11:10 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a theatre nurse with over13 yrs experience. I have passed my RN exams and hv been waiting since 2006 for U.S immigration to open its retrogression but till now no news. Meanwhile I completed my Msc Nursing and now am tempted to go Australia as many of my friends moved ... I have a family with 2 kids 8 and 4 year old boys... Husband is equally confused like me to make a decision... We are looking for good weather and good life. Can anyone suggest what is best, is it worth waiting for u.s or will I be able to have an affordable life in Australia ?
This would probably be better in the nursing forum? They would be able to advise you on pay scales etc..
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

Nightingale12
Were in the same position as you my wife is a RN and is waiting for her priority date to become current and it seems that average wait time is 6 years!

From the research I've done so far it definitely goes without saying Australia is more expensive than the US to live in and it also looks like the hospitals don't help out with expenses in getting there (correct me if I'm wrong) like they do in US. Which means its alot to take on but many have done it successfully.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Nightingale12 is just really niceNightingale12 is just really niceNightingale12 is just really niceNightingale12 is just really niceNightingale12 is just really niceNightingale12 is just really niceNightingale12 is just really niceNightingale12 is just really nice

Well, I know it's my personal decision but if anyone working in Australia could guide me on this, it would help me to make My decision of my move to ausi easier . I hv been reading this forum abt expences in ausi and its a bit dissapointing as it sounds very expensive. So if i find a job there, is it worth the quality of life i am longing for?How is clinical educators role in ausi? Any ideas anyone?
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lanyu
Nightingale12
Were in the same position as you my wife is a RN and is waiting for her priority date to become current and it seems that average wait time is 6 years!

From the research I've done so far it definitely goes without saying Australia is more expensive than the US to live in and it also looks like the hospitals don't help out with expenses in getting there (correct me if I'm wrong) like they do in US. Which means its alot to take on but many have done it successfully.
Thanks... Ya I understand so... But and that's why I am reluctant to wait for U.S to open its gates... Weather is tempting in Australia but not sure abt quality of life...
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:20 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

?How is clinical educators role in ausi? Any ideas anyone?
What do you mean by clinical educator. Roles have different titles and meanings here.

Bear in mind that your previous experience may mean very little to start with. Most nurses who come here start on the bottom level unless they have a specific job lined up regardless of their position in the UK.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:38 am
Bitter and twisted

Do you mean educator for qualified staff of for undergraduates?

Working with undergraduates (which is what I do) is very difficult to get into unless you are established here. There is usually a long wait for people wanting to do and it is mostly casual work paid for by the university although many hospitals are appointing their own, usually on temporary contracts during term times.

Jobs working as educators working with trained staff are very difficult to get unless you are known within a hospital...again there is a lot of competition and jobs do not come up too often.

Applying for and getting one from outside the country would be very difficult but there is no harm in trying.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
Do you mean educator for qualified staff of for undergraduates?

Working with undergraduates (which is what I do) is very difficult to get into unless you are established here. There is usually a long wait for people wanting to do and it is mostly casual work paid for by the university although many hospitals are appointing their own, usually on temporary contracts during term times.

Jobs working as educators working with trained staff are very difficult to get unless you are known within a hospital...again there is a lot of competition and jobs do not come up too often.

Applying for and getting one from outside the country would be very difficult but there is no harm in trying.
Thanks for that information..... I am going to attend a conference on moving to ausi soon and might get more information on those issues . Will post what I gather from there latter....
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:53 am
Bitter and twisted

Thanks for that information..... I am going to attend a conference on moving to ausi soon and might get more information on those issues . Will post what I gather from there latter....
Just be aware the agencies who may offer to sponsor you will be looking for RNs to fill gaps in services...ditto hospitals.

If you want a job at a more senior level then you will have to apply for it and compete for it.....you would need to be pretty unique or particularly well qualified to compete with locals.

Go for an independent visa and then you have the freedom to work where you want.

Who is running the conference you are going to?
Old Feb 21st 2012, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
Just be aware the agencies who may offer to sponsor you will be looking for RNs to fill gaps in services...ditto hospitals.

If you want a job at a more senior level then you will have to apply for it and compete for it.....you would need to be pretty unique or particularly well qualified to compete with locals.

Go for an independent visa and then you have the freedom to work where you want.

Who is running the conference you are going to?
Yes I understand.... Well i am not sure as its been through a friend who is a doc and is moving to canbera .... He told me about this and I tot of giving it a try. I will not go thru any agency but until I am ready to make the commitment of working in aus , I am researching on all facts before I start impeding for the jobs. Thanks for your advice.
What is living and working in Sydney like? I live in manchester (u.k)
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Yes I understand.... Well i am not sure as its been through a friend who is a doc and is moving to canbera .... He told me about this and I tot of giving it a try. I will not go thru any agency but until I am ready to make the commitment of working in aus , I am researching on all facts before I start impeding for the jobs. Thanks for your advice.
What is living and working in Sydney like? I live in manchester (u.k)
Never worked in Sydney....be aware Sydney is an expensive place to live.

You are far better off going to a city than a rural location as there will be a much bigger choice of hospitals and, if you have an independent visa, you will be able to move around as jobs arise without having to move house.

It is possible to move up the ladder if you are well enough qualified but local experience and contacts are great assets....don't underestimate their value

good luck