Has anyone done nurse training in oz

Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Verndownunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone done nurse training in oz

Hi

A quick question.

Has anyone done or know anyone who is doing there nurse training in Oz?

Over in England you can get bursery, but looking in to the training over there, I think you have to pay??

Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance

Tracey
Old Jan 15th 2008, 10:34 pm
sjo
Forum Regular

sjo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Has anyone done nurse training in oz

Yep, I'm training here. You do have to pay uni fees, but if you have residency you can defer payment through the HECS scheme, whereby you don't have to start paying until you are working. At my uni it costs about $2,300 per semester (ie about $13,800 for the total degree).

But there are some really good scholarships available - many of my classmates receive $10,000 per year from the Government to study nursing. There are also grants of $500 (you can claim twice a year) to help with the cost of practicum. See http://www.rcna.org.au/site/scholarships.php

Another point is that, after 2 years residency, you may also be eligible to claim Youth Allowance (for those under 25) or Austudy (for the over 25's) from Centrelink. Austudy is a payment of about $700 per month, and I think that Youth Allowance works out about the same, but they can also claim money towards paying rent.

Many of the students in my year also work at nursing homes during the holidays to get a bit extra cash.

Studying in Australia worked out the best option for me.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Verndownunder
Hi

A quick question.

Has anyone done or know anyone who is doing there nurse training in Oz?

Over in England you can get bursery, but looking in to the training over there, I think you have to pay??

Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance

Tracey
Yes , you have to pay. Most people doing the training in this area complete the 2 year EN course, take a break,work as an EN for a year and then complete their RN training. Remember , Rules may be different depending on what visa you're on.
All the best,
Tass.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou for that

We are currently applying for residency visa under husbands profession.

I have 3 children (1 = toddler)

I am a little undecided on whether to start trainning over hear (England) then finish it in Aus or whether to wait for little one to be at school properly and settled and then start (i.e. after 2 years to claim financial help).

Thanks for your comments

Tracey
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add you need citizenship to defer fees.
Permanent residency you have to pay fees upfront in full each semester. Permanent visa aplicants are able to apply for scholarships though.

Temp visa and the fees are higher as classed as International student.

GEMS
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that

It looks like it may be worth me trying to do over here before migrating then!!

Hummm

Something to have a long think about...

Bye for now

Tracey
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Verndownunder
Thankyou for that

We are currently applying for residency visa under husbands profession.

I have 3 children (1 = toddler)

I am a little undecided on whether to start trainning over hear (England) then finish it in Aus or whether to wait for little one to be at school properly and settled and then start (i.e. after 2 years to claim financial help).

Thanks for your comments

Tracey

Check first !! the study you do in the UK may not count for ANYTHING and you will have to do it all in Aus. It's not easy doing your training and having a little one does add pressure. Nursing is such a rewarding career once you get through, give yourself the best chance of passing.

Gill
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

I really want to come to Aus asap.

I would love to do my nurse training over there rather than wait, plus something else always pops up at a later date that would put move back again.

How do people cope with child care when training?

My husband is a nurse so will be a shift worker - which may be a help or a hinderence.

Are the hours flexible, to suit homelife or do you just get what you are given?

All above makes a difference I surpose, as you tend to have a little family backup here which I wouldn't have in Australia.

Want my dream to come true so much - re Aus and nursing ASAPPP

Thanks alot for your views and help.

Tracey
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if you are aware, but Charles Darwin Uni do a Nursing degree in external mode. This means you do it distance learning.

Your want the bachelor of Nursing (Pre registration)

Also think the Open Universities does the same course. Think their may be other Universities doing external.

So this would fit around your kids.

Gems
Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Millie11 will become famous soon enough

Hi, Sorry for just jumping in I am thinking about doing the midwifery degree in Sydney and I was wondering if any of you would know how the typical school timetable looks like? I suppose a timetable for nurses - midwives would look similar.

Also distance learning in nursing - does the degree count as much as your standard degree? Just curious
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget, if you have PR, the cost of training is not real expensive, just a few thousand a year. (As opposed to "full fee paying" which can be $10-15K/year).
Old Apr 18th 2008, 10:07 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Millie11
Hi, Sorry for just jumping in I am thinking about doing the midwifery degree in Sydney and I was wondering if any of you would know how the typical school timetable looks like? I suppose a timetable for nurses - midwives would look similar.

Also distance learning in nursing - does the degree count as much as your standard degree? Just curious

I'm halfway through my 1st semester on a bachelor of nursing at Queensland University. At the moment my hours are 1-4, 9-1, 9-1, & 9-2 four days a week, but with the extra study at home I'd say i do about 40hrs a week actual study.

Paula
Old Apr 27th 2008, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

jorose is a jewel in the roughjorose is a jewel in the roughjorose is a jewel in the roughjorose is a jewel in the roughjorose is a jewel in the rough

Hi

This is something I have just started looking into. Can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to courses for International students coming on a student visa? i.e where, for how long and costs?

Thanks

J
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of courses? Which city/state? You may have to narrow it down! The best place to look would be the websites of the institutions you are interested in.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

jorose is a jewel in the roughjorose is a jewel in the roughjorose is a jewel in the roughjorose is a jewel in the roughjorose is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by augigi
What sort of courses? Which city/state? You may have to narrow it down! The best place to look would be the websites of the institutions you are interested in.
At the moment I am not bothered which city/state. I was just looking for generalised information that's all.

Thanks anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.