Getting jobs as newley qualified

Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Verndownunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting jobs as newley qualified

Hi All

Can any one advise on below.

We have visa 175 on hubby job.

But when looking in to cost of living, realised we needed two good jobs to have the same standard used to in uk.

I always wanted to do my nursing, so started it in Sept and plan on moving to perth as soon as hopefully qualify sep 2012.

Percepterships are becoming harder to get now over here, what are my chances is Australia in adult general???

I know I have to transfer registration etc, but do I also have to get job over here first to obtain references etc???

I am worried that I may put myself through all this for nothing and if so, would rather just move and try and get administration and stock control that I have lots of experience in.

Please advise!

Thanks

Vern
Old Jan 25th 2010, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

kicking_k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting jobs as newley qualified

Hi Vern,
Are you doing your nurse training in Aus or in the UK?? In Australia once you qualify you do another year as a graduate RN, basically that means for a year you are rotated around usually 2 different wards / specialities with a graduate mentor, support and competencies! If you are training in the UK one possible option is to apply for a graduate programme, all states / private hospitals run them usually once / twice a year and try to get on that. One of my friends did this and came straight to Aus as a NQ.

You can probably use your personal tutor as a referece plus another reference from your mentor / ward from your final management placement, that should be enough. You will also need ref for your nursing reg, ANMC skill assessment?? But other posters should be able to answer this as i am here on a WHV (applying for PR once i return home next month)

Glad to hear things are just the same in the UK, i have been qualified 3yrs and remember my first job on the ward, no preceptor, just handed the keys and a caseload of pts - sink or swim!! I would say keep doing your nursing as it might proove useful as you can work a varitey of hours and in diff places, agency, nights etc.

k
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, to OP, you wont need the ANMC skills assessment as you already have your visa. You will just need to qualify, register with NMC and obtain references as above has stated, so that you can register as a nurse where you are going to be living. You will also need to obtain a verification from NMC that you are indeed on register. It is pretty straight forward.

Good luck with your training
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Great

That sounds reassurring.

I like the sounds of the 12 months to find your feet.

I take it you do get paid for those 12 months??

Thanks for the good luck.

Tracey
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Babycoach is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you do - stick to nursing - I have for thirty years.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:26 pm
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

Don't forget the IELTS. Horrible, horrible IELTS.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lyx
Don't forget the IELTS. Horrible, horrible IELTS.
Yes, I agree horrible.

I will do this when I reach my final year. They last for 2 years so I won't leave until last moment. Its a bit naf having to prove your english speaking when born and bread in the UK isn't it.

Oh well

Bye for now

Thanks for your comments

Tracey
Old Feb 15th 2010, 10:11 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

I think somebody already said it, but apply for the New Graduate Programme. Applications go in for the public system in June/July every year and for private hospitals a few weeks after. I did mine last year. Was rotated around 4 specialities and then got a job at the end of it in the speciality I chose. Pay is great...and the support is always there....well it is in the private hospital I am in...not sure about public!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 10:37 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

With loading and other extras I got paid approx $48K as a first year new grad
Old Feb 21st 2010, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Welshie
With loading and other extras I got paid approx $48K as a first year new grad
Thats great.

We plan on moving over after christmas when qualified, so that will give me time to get pin etc sorted, my husband sorted in work and the kids settled.

Thanks

I just need to pass the course now.

Tracey
Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Babycoach is an unknown quantity at this point

Having been here 23 yrs an RN and midwife, I moved over as a nurse too, but I would advise you to wait till you have a year at least post qualification.
It is very different nursing here than UK at first anyway.
So to land here 'green' would not be easy and would not give you $48000 day 1 !
I work with many UK nurses who have come here being promised jobs / conditions that over glamorise what you end up with.
Yes it is quite good here but like everything, experience counts.

What type of nursing were you hoping to go into on landing?

Because you may not qualify for a first year 'Graduate program' which you will need to practice.... so double /triple check. It was much easier when I came because RN from UK was looked up to - not anymore.