Getting to Australia as a nurse?

Old Oct 28th 2004, 9:02 pm
Boop Boop De Doop

Betty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud of
Default Getting to Australia as a nurse?

I am a nurse planning to emmigrate to Oz next year. I would like some advice about the best way to get there ie. use an agency or sort it out myself?
If an agency is the best way, what are the best one's?
Also, I currently work in Neurology, and I can't seem to find much info re: neuro nursing. Is this not an option?
Old Oct 29th 2004, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

rumbletum will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Getting to Australia as a nurse?

Originally Posted by Betty Boop
I am a nurse planning to emmigrate to Oz next year. I would like some advice about the best way to get there ie. use an agency or sort it out myself?
If an agency is the best way, what are the best one's?
Also, I currently work in Neurology, and I can't seem to find much info re: neuro nursing. Is this not an option?
Welcome to the forum, you will find so much information on here. Just do a search for neurology and you may get some answers either on the nursing forum or the main one.

I didnt use an agent, but spent a lot of time researching on here and visiting the ANCI website etc for information. I think as a nurse you dont really need to use an agent at the moment. Although the MODL changes, nurses are still supposedly being fast tracked through the process.

My visa was processed very quickly, I have gone into it in other threads but if you want specific advice re time etc, then feel free to send a pm. We have been here for 4 months now and the whole application process and the waiting seems like a lifetime ago now

Good luck and remember to ask lots of questions on here, it really is a very valuable site
Old Oct 29th 2004, 1:15 pm
Boop Boop De Doop

Betty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud of
Red face Re: Getting to Australia as a nurse?

Originally Posted by rumbletum
Welcome to the forum, you will find so much information on here. Just do a search for neurology and you may get some answers either on the nursing forum or the main one.

I didnt use an agent, but spent a lot of time researching on here and visiting the ANCI website etc for information. I think as a nurse you dont really need to use an agent at the moment. Although the MODL changes, nurses are still supposedly being fast tracked through the process.

My visa was processed very quickly, I have gone into it in other threads but if you want specific advice re time etc, then feel free to send a pm. We have been here for 4 months now and the whole application process and the waiting seems like a lifetime ago now

Good luck and remember to ask lots of questions on here, it really is a very valuable site
Thanks so much for your reply. I may take up your offer of sending a pm.Will be in touch soon

Lisa
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Get a permanent (migration) visa, not a temporary one. The Australia immigration forum is the place to ask about visas.

That way you can easily change jobs if things don't work out and not find yourself in a total mess being tied to a job you might hate.

There are a range of other benefits of permanent vs temporary residence.

Jeremy
Old Oct 30th 2004, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

I would agree with Jeremy dont be tied if you can avoid it they are cr ying out for nurses just as the UK are so go for a skilled independent 136 visa there are hurdles to jump through but its worth it first step is getting your qualifications recognised and it can take up tp 12 weks so best to get started with that bit now while you get booklet 6 fro m the DIMA site and start looking into it
once you apply to DIMA you will be fast tyracked and this forum is great for helping alo ng the way
I only wish i had found it earlier good luck Mary
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 11:10 am
Boop Boop De Doop

Thumbs up Re: Getting to Australia as a nurse?

Thanks Mary. All this info is really so useful.

Lisa
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 9:46 am
Just Joined

andrecat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mary. All this info is really so useful.

Lisa
Totally agree, dont come on a temporary visa. We did and it was a BIG mistake. Not only are we tied to the same employer for another 2 years at least (making 3 + in all), but as the visa is in my name i have to work full time. We arent entitled to benefits, or even to claim take back on our private health care (at a loss of $1000). Luckily I like my job, but not everyone does. Plus we now have to pay for everything again to get our residency. It takes longer to do it through a permenent visa to start with, but you win in the long run.

Cathy
xx
Old Nov 5th 2004, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

ireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud of

Hiya where in oz are you going a friend of mine got a job in Sydney and that was for neuro they have a lot of specialized areas there try the Prince of Wales hosp. in Sydney and they will sponsor also if you are RN level1 love ireland
Old Nov 5th 2004, 1:38 pm
Boop Boop De Doop

Originally Posted by ireland
Hiya where in oz are you going a friend of mine got a job in Sydney and that was for neuro they have a lot of specialized areas there try the Prince of Wales hosp. in Sydney and they will sponsor also if you are RN level1 love ireland
Hi ireland. We haven't definately made our minds up yet but we are seriously thinking about Brisbane.
Will bear this in mind though if we change our minds

Lisax
Old Nov 5th 2004, 11:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrecat
Totally agree, dont come on a temporary visa. We did and it was a BIG mistake. Not only are we tied to the same employer for another 2 years at least (making 3 + in all), but as the visa is in my name i have to work full time. We arent entitled to benefits, or even to claim take back on our private health care (at a loss of $1000). Luckily I like my job, but not everyone does. Plus we now have to pay for everything again to get our residency. It takes longer to do it through a permenent visa to start with, but you win in the long run.

Cathy
xx
If you get permanent residence, you will be able to leave your employer immediately, unless you do so via the RSMS route,

Jeremy
Old Nov 6th 2004, 4:32 am
Just Joined

andrecat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you get permanent residence, you will be able to leave your employer immediately, unless you do so via the RSMS route,

Jeremy
Yes, thats the route we chose to go down, we like where we work and so thats fine for us. In retrospect, Id have applied for PR before I came, and we are lucky that we are happy!

Cathy
xx
Old Nov 9th 2004, 5:44 pm
Boop Boop De Doop

Originally Posted by andrecat
Yes, thats the route we chose to go down, we like where we work and so thats fine for us. In retrospect, Id have applied for PR before I came, and we are lucky that we are happy!

Cathy
xx
I'm glad that you are happy.
Looks like I will be going for PR then.

This has been so useful, thanks

Lisa xx