General Advise - Oz District Nursing and APHRA

Old May 31st 2011, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Laddymanc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General Advise - Oz District Nursing and APHRA

Hi

I am applying to district nurse in Melbourne and have a few questions as the process is all new to me.

1 - Does anybody know of any other community nursing organisations in Oz, particularly Melbourne? I am in touch with one organisation which is looking really promising on a employer sponsored visa but when talking to them I was given the impression by something that was said that suggested there were several different companies providing community nursing services?

2 - Employer sponsored visa - seems a lot cheaper the independent visa as the company pay for it but worry this option is less secure. Can you apply for independant visa once in Oz if I initially go on the employment sponsored one?

3 - Using agency to help with independent visa - good/bad? Would love to hear from people who have not used one and whether the process was difficult and successful - I have heard lots of horror stories where applications are refused and refunds are not given!

APHRA - the organisation which seems promising have advised me to start the process by registering with APHRA. I have begun doing this and I am currently completing the paperwork/collecting the info - however, really confused with the English thing and costs!

4 - Am I right in thinking that people living in the UK who have lived here all their life only have to demonstrate that they have had a secondary education and nursing course taught to them in English? BUT HOW?? Really dont know how to prove this??

Costs - I work it out to be $450 in total to APHRA (not including cert signing, NMC cost for statement etc) $115 app fee, $115 reg fee and $220 assessment fee - can anyone who has gone through the process confirm this to be correct?

Just want to get it right so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

vickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to all
Default Re: General Advise - Oz District Nursing and APHRA

Hi, I can help with a few things - you don't need an agent to do your visa application if it is straight forward - I did mine and you can get all the info from the www.immi.gov.au website for visas.

www.ahpra.gov.au for all the info for the skills assessment and any queries just post on here, everyone is helpful!
If it is not a straight forward application then some people use agencies eg. gaining consent from exs etc.

You do not need to sit the IELTS now, just need to prove you were educated at secondary school and uni in English. I had a letter from my secondary school stating that, I had obtained it for my skills assessment a few years ago, I did a statutory declaration stating I was born in England, lived all my life there, and was educated both at school and uni in English.

Anyway, good luck and any queries just ask on here
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Laddymanc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Guys

I assume your in Oz already then? What type of visa did you apply for? I rang the AHPRA last night and the guy I spoke to seemed to indicate a letter from my school and 6th form would be acceptable - how come you got the statutory decloration too - was you asked to provide it or were you playing safe? Also did you just download a template to fill in and I assumed you got it signed in front of a JP? My problem is the JP in my local town will sign but the charge is £25.00 per signature so I if I can help it I need to try and get as little signed as possible - obviously to provide a declaration in the way suggested on the net (signed by a JP) its going to cost me another £25.00 when I am unsure if it is def needed?

Cheers
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to all

Yes, I'm in Perth, arrived end Feb.
I applied for 175 visa as I didn't want to be tied to one employer, just incase I didn't enjoy the job and then have all the stress of trying to find another sponsor etc.
I got a stat dec done just to be safe as I didn't prove the uni bit was in English - you have to have a stat dec to declare other things as well so I just put them all onto one. JP here don't charge, when I was in Sheffield there was a £15 charge but they did as many signatures as you wanted - I had loads as I had been married, divorced,re-married, qualifications for nursing and midwifery etc ....I used the stat dec form on AHPRA's website for the criminal history and printed one off the internet for the others, think it was the police website, but there's loads on the internet.
If yours is a straight forward application, then you will be able to do it yourself. I found getting all of your paperwork together ie. transcripts and especially references etc. to be the hardest and most stressful part. I received references and although I had printed off what was required, sometimes it took 3 attempts for it to be in the correct format!
I didn't submit my APHRA application until here as I was still awaiting 2 references when we left!

Good luck
Vicky