Employer sponsored visa or PR

Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Lorraine Bryan is on a distinguished road
Question Employer sponsored visa or PR

Sorry to ask another question but not sure of the best process to get to Oz . I looked up a web site just looking up jobs on offer at www.genevahealth.com who contacted me a few days later by phone a few days later. They told me they are interviewing over the new couple of months and can help me get employment in Australia. Once I have employment I can get a employer sponsored visa. Then with the visa they will assist me through all the next stages ie police checks, medicals, and applying to Nursing boards for me and my family. Apparently this process can be a quick as 6 months!!! (Some employers have relocation packages too). All sounds too good to be true and pretty :scared: . Is this the best way or shall I opt for the slower PR route?? Anybody been assisted by Geneva?? Are there Pros and cons to either??? Any help gratefully received

Lorraine
Old Jan 12th 2005, 6:16 am
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all
Default Re: Employer sponsored visa or PR

Originally Posted by Lorraine Bryan
Sorry to ask another question but not sure of the best process to get to Oz . I looked up a web site just looking up jobs on offer at www.genevahealth.com who contacted me a few days later by phone a few days later. They told me they are interviewing over the new couple of months and can help me get employment in Australia. Once I have employment I can get a employer sponsored visa. Then with the visa they will assist me through all the next stages ie police checks, medicals, and applying to Nursing boards for me and my family. Apparently this process can be a quick as 6 months!!! (Some employers have relocation packages too). All sounds too good to be true and pretty :scared: . Is this the best way or shall I opt for the slower PR route?? Anybody been assisted by Geneva?? Are there Pros and cons to either??? Any help gratefully received

Lorraine
Hi Lorraine
This has been answered by a few people before so you can try a search to get more info. However if you got an employer sponsored visa and the job was awful etc you are a bit stuck unless someone else takes over your sponsorship. However if you go for skilled independant (136) PR you are then free to move how you want AND join up with Geneva and another agency if you want too. The PR route is not necessarily slower because you are a nurse it will get fast tracked. We can give you hand with regards to questions. Firstly decide where you want to go, then decide on the visa, then apply to that state nursing board for a licence, then do ANMC modified skills assessment when all papers are back. In the mean time send off for police checks, medicals etc send it all in and voila within 12 -16 weeks one PR visa (all being well). Hope this helps a bit. Geneva aren't too bad i used to work with them in the UK before i moved to Mayfair. People on the forum will help with other routes and ideas. Lucy
Old Jan 13th 2005, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rob&lucy
Hi Lorraine
This has been answered by a few people before so you can try a search to get more info. However if you got an employer sponsored visa and the job was awful etc you are a bit stuck unless someone else takes over your sponsorship. However if you go for skilled independant (136) PR you are then free to move how you want AND join up with Geneva and another agency if you want too. The PR route is not necessarily slower because you are a nurse it will get fast tracked. We can give you hand with regards to questions. Firstly decide where you want to go, then decide on the visa, then apply to that state nursing board for a licence, then do ANMC modified skills assessment when all papers are back. In the mean time send off for police checks, medicals etc send it all in and voila within 12 -16 weeks one PR visa (all being well). Hope this helps a bit. Geneva aren't too bad i used to work with them in the UK before i moved to Mayfair. People on the forum will help with other routes and ideas. Lucy
Cheers Lucy Thank you for all your advice, it's now 05:47 been up all night reading the threads....lol very very addictive!!

Lorraine
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

purple swatch will become famous soon enough

Cheers Lucy Thank you for all your advice, it's now 05:47 been up all night reading the threads....lol very very addictive!!

Lorraine
hi Lorraine
i have been offered a job at Greenslopes hospital in Brisbane through Ramsey Healthcare(i saw them in Manchester for a "look see",emailed my cv and had telephone interview 2 wk later!)after much deliberation we decided not to go sponsered and opted for pr,they respected our decision and i just need to email them when time is nearer to see what vacencies they have.what bothered me about sponsered was what if i don't settle and also working full time for 2 yrs especially in foreign climes,will have childcare for a 4 yr old to sort out first so would rather go part time and do adhoc hours on top.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:07 am
ad4ozz

We went for PR for freedom of movement as you might not like the state never mind the job and can move elsewhere.

Plus, from what I have seen before if you go sponsored you have to do all the form filling etc. again in 2 years which is a bit of a prat about. If we get there as still waiting for our PR visa medicals we want to be applying for citizenship in 2 years anyway.

Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

primrose will become famous soon enoughprimrose will become famous soon enough

Definitely go for PR, it gives you the choice of where you want to live and work. The visa's are being granted much quicker post July (generally) anyway.
If you have read most of the posts in this section, you will see in Ecandos posts in "letter from Aus", that they went to Melbourne didn't like it and have now moved to near Brisbane. With a PR visa you have the flexibility to do that.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all once again for all your support and advice . Having been up all night (bed after daughter went to school ) reading thread after thread and all of your responses here I now belive that a employer sponsor visa is not the best way forward. We have enough points to get to Oz on a skilled independent visa and know the benefits in the long run will be better. Now all we have to do is decide where abouts we want to go and apply.....Cheers everyone

Lorraine
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

primrose will become famous soon enoughprimrose will become famous soon enough

Thank you all once again for all your support and advice . Having been up all night (bed after daughter went to school ) reading thread after thread and all of your responses here I now belive that a employer sponsor visa is not the best way forward. We have enough points to get to Oz on a skilled independent visa and know the benefits in the long run will be better. Now all we have to do is decide where abouts we want to go and apply.....Cheers everyone

Lorraine
Lorraine,
I think the QLD nursing board is quickest, so it may be worth your while having your skills assessed with them, and then deciding in the future where in Aus you want to work, you can register with any nursing board once your skills have been assessed.

Lisa
Old Jan 14th 2005, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by primrose
Lorraine,
I think the QLD nursing board is quickest, so it may be worth your while having your skills assessed with them, and then deciding in the future where in Aus you want to work, you can register with any nursing board once your skills have been assessed.

Lisa
Oh really Lisa thats great news....so if I apply to QLD nursing board get my skills assessed I can then choose where I want to register anywhere else in Oz and it won't be a problem? Does it slow the overall process down say for instance I want to work in WA applying in QLD or am I getting it all wrong lolol sorry. Also you don't happen to have a link for QLD or WA to get an application form?

Lorraine
Old Jan 14th 2005, 7:54 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Oh really Lisa thats great news....so if I apply to QLD nursing board get my skills assessed I can then choose where I want to register anywhere else in Oz and it won't be a problem? Does it slow the overall process down say for instance I want to work in WA applying in QLD or am I getting it all wrong lolol sorry. Also you don't happen to have a link for QLD or WA to get an application form?

Lorraine
Once you have registered in one state you can then register in any other through the Mutual recognition agreement.

However, if you are applying for a PR visa based on your skills you will then need to apply to the ANMC for a modified skills assessment.

If you apply to the ANMC first you will need to do a full skills assessment which is far more expensive. You will have to register in a state anyway so you may as well do that first.

G
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:03 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Lorraine
Hi
Lisa was meaning Register in Queenland 1st (queensland nursing council) then you only have to do a quicker 'modified' skills assessment with the ANMC. As Grayling says If you apply for Skills assessment 1st at ANMC you have to do a 'full' skills assessment which is far more expensive than the modified assessment (ANMC don't broadcast that you can do it this way - they must be making a fortune). You can save a fortune by registering 1st in the state you want to work in. I can't remember where you want to work but Lisa was just pointing out that registering in Queensland has been very quick (my registration was turned around in a couple of days) whereas registering in NSW has been much slower - see RAG's posts on nursing forum. Makes sense to register in Queensland then do what Grayling has talked about (have the boards share your registration info through mutual recognition). I hope this has helped. If you want to know anything else just ask as I was very confused before as well and am now the proud owner of registration in Queensland and have a modified skills assessment (valid for 2 years)

Good luck!
Lynn
Old Jan 14th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Lorraine

I too was as confused as you but this forum cleared things up for me.

Register in Queensland (if you want to work anywhere else, its easy to get registered in another state in the future)

You can then get a modified assessment with the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council, (cheaper than full assessment)

Then apply for the visa. Then you can decide about medicals and police checks, and when to do them.

This is the simplest and cheapest way, but be sure you are not the only one confused. Keep watching the forums, I find them invaluable.

Paul
Old Jan 14th 2005, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of
Question Re: Employer sponsored visa or PR

Originally Posted by ad4ozz
We went for PR for freedom of movement as you might not like the state never mind the job and can move elsewhere.

Plus, from what I have seen before if you go sponsored you have to do all the form filling etc. again in 2 years which is a bit of a prat about. If we get there as still waiting for our PR visa medicals we want to be applying for citizenship in 2 years anyway.
Why 2 years to apply for PR?
Old Jan 15th 2005, 3:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisbane bound
Why 2 years to apply for PR?
There is no specific rule that says you have to wait that period of time (unless you're on a SIR visa). However some employers impose time periods like this before they are willing to sponsor - it's generally better to come to Australia on a PR visa from Day 1. Whether that PR visa is points tested or employer sponsored.

Jeremy