drug calculations for nurses

Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

sarahhartopp will become famous soon enoughsarahhartopp will become famous soon enough
Default drug calculations for nurses

i am just going through a drug calculation self assessment form that my place of work has posted to me ( i start on monday and have to sit a test of some sort ) the questions are manly about calculating mg into mcg and mcg/kg/min

do you think they would expect you to remember the formulas off by heart or would they give them you plus dose anyone know if you would be allowed calculators, as i am sure once on shift you are allowed to use them.

also i am practising the drip rate fomulas by long division, again dose anyone know if i will be asked about drip rates ( you give infustions through pumps, you dont free drip apart from blood ) and will i need to work them out in long divison or by calculator ?

i am giving myself a headache just thinking about it. i know we use drug calculations all the time at work in uk but i am used to using a calculator plus you have work collegues to figure it out with as all iv drugs are checked by two nurses.

i am worried that the test will be hard and i will fail and look a ****.

is there anyone out there who has sat a test resently that knows so i can stop stressing

Brisbane bound
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: drug calculations for nurses

Originally Posted by sarahhartopp
i am just going through a drug calculation self assessment form that my place of work has posted to me ( i start on monday and have to sit a test of some sort ) the questions are manly about calculating mg into mcg and mcg/kg/min

do you think they would expect you to remember the formulas off by heart or would they give them you plus dose anyone know if you would be allowed calculators, as i am sure once on shift you are allowed to use them.

also i am practising the drip rate fomulas by long division, again dose anyone know if i will be asked about drip rates ( you give infustions through pumps, you dont free drip apart from blood ) and will i need to work them out in long divison or by calculator ?

i am giving myself a headache just thinking about it. i know we use drug calculations all the time at work in uk but i am used to using a calculator plus you have work collegues to figure it out with as all iv drugs are checked by two nurses.

i am worried that the test will be hard and i will fail and look a ****.

is there anyone out there who has sat a test resently that knows so i can stop stressing

Brisbane bound
Hi Sarah, here is a link to your last post about drug calculations http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653170
I posted the drip claculations on here and and it is quite straight forward if you remember whats for blood and whats for fluids. Also, infusions are NOT always given via pumps. I give infusions day in day out and have rarely used a pump. Im sure you will be fine. Stop worrying and lots of luck for your test
Old Mar 20th 2010, 1:24 am
A roo in my top paddock!

Dreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: drug calculations for nurses

Hi Sarah,

I have just started working for Queensland Health (worked in the private sector for 18 months previously) and on my orientation week we had to do a drugs calculation test.We could use calculators and the questions were pretty easy if you know your formulas.Saying that i still made some silly mistakes as you do!
At work we use calculators all the time to calculate rates (i work in theatres) but i have to say we "free drip" a lot in theatres - mainly because we cant stand the alarms going off all the time on the pumps!
Anyway,dont stress im sure you ll be fine.
Janice.