Doing it alone

Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:45 am
Qualify in Sept!

mattyuk will become famous soon enough
Smile Doing it alone

Hi Guys,
Im Matt, Been dreaming of nursing in Oz now for a couple of years, im due to qualify as a nurse in september so decided too try emailing a few hospitals for info and how much experience is required, i learnet that Queensland do take on newly qualifieds doing a graduate programme.
I have applied for this position, i would be so happy if i got the post as the idea of nursing in Oz excites me but as i am doing it alone (well at least at present) i am feeling scared , anxious, nervous , happy , a real mix of emotions really.
Is there any guys on here that are doing it alone or have done it?

Matt
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Doing it alone

Hi Matt no I'm apart of a 'we' but good on you and hope it all goes well.

Donna
Old Feb 24th 2007, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Bobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really nice

Originally Posted by mattyuk
Hi Guys,
Im Matt, Been dreaming of nursing in Oz now for a couple of years, im due to qualify as a nurse in september so decided too try emailing a few hospitals for info and how much experience is required, i learnet that Queensland do take on newly qualifieds doing a graduate programme.
I have applied for this position, i would be so happy if i got the post as the idea of nursing in Oz excites me but as i am doing it alone (well at least at present) i am feeling scared , anxious, nervous , happy , a real mix of emotions really.
Is there any guys on here that are doing it alone or have done it?

Matt
Hi there, ive been qualified for eighteen months now and am just starting the visa application process.
Im almost going it alone, my little boy is coming too! I feel the same as you, nervous, excited, apprehensive. Im keeping an open mind though. I know im going to be miserable and home sick to start with. I think its important to be prepared for this!
Good luck
Bobbie
Old Feb 25th 2007, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Simone00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mattyuk,

I'm a student nurse at the moment, and hoping to apply to the Queensland health grad programme once I'm nearer qualifying. Just wondering how you're getting on, have you applied yet? Have you had any luck, feedback etc?

Simone
Old Feb 25th 2007, 5:40 pm
Qualify in Sept!

mattyuk will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Doing it alone

Hi Simone, All i have done so far is apply for the Graduate Nurse programme, I did this online, the position starts Jan 2008, This is the only Job a newly qualified nurse can get as far as i know, I dont qualify till september so i have been told my application wont be looked at till August this year.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going on my own. Well, as the only adult, am going with 2 kids.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Bobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really nice

Originally Posted by tracey.d
I'm going on my own. Well, as the only adult, am going with 2 kids.
Hi Tracy, how do you feel about taking kids on your own? How do the kids feel? Hope you dont mind me being so nosy! My little boy is 7 and is mostly really excited. Bobbie
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobbie
Hi Tracy, how do you feel about taking kids on your own? How do the kids feel? Hope you dont mind me being so nosy! My little boy is 7 and is mostly really excited. Bobbie

I feel really scared at times to be honest, then at other times I'm fine. Just like anyone else going I suppose.

The kids are really looking forward to it. In fact, I went through a patch a couple of months back when I wasnt going to go. That was because I was worried about taking them on my own. When I mentioned it to the kids my middle daughter said "what about us" I was really shocked as I didn't think they were that fussed on going, only going because I told them they were.

That really got me motivated and am looking forward to it again.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

parsonsjonny is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Doing it alone

Hi there,

I too am going it alone, same mixed bag of emotions as many of you have expressed, however all credit to those of you with little ones, pales my concerns into in significance really!

I'm currently an emergency dept nurse in Nottingham, qualified for 18 months now (almost). Have accepted a post at the Royal Melbourne hospital to start sometime in July/August. Travelling out on a 457 visa, which means I'll owe RMH some working hours (1.5 - 2 years) before considering moving elsewhere; to be honest I'll be happy to sit tight there for a while, its a large teaching hospita, I'm told there will be opportunities for professional development. Have heard mixed opinion regarding the 457 visa, but in my view its each to their own, although any views would be gratefully received.

Anyone off to Melbourne, let us know how things are going, anyone already there who can give me some idea of the work ethic, nursing style, and any other general aussie nursing stuff; I would be interested to hear from you.

Likewise, anything I may be able to help with, particularly for those newly qualified out there, ask away.

Cheers

Jonny.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parsonsjonny
Travelling out on a 457 visa, which means I'll owe RMH some working hours (1.5 - 2 years) before considering moving elsewhere
You really need to find out more about the conditions of your visa.

You can not just 'move elsewhere' if you are on a 457 visa.....you are tied to your sponsor for as long as they choose. If you leave that job and do not have another sponsor you will have to leave the country.

G
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers for the comment,

perhaps I should have emphasised the fact I may consider a move later on, in reality its unlikely I would want to move elsewhere for some considerable time, in particular if I can arrange some further professional development at RMH - which is out of the question in the cash strapped UK.

Besides, I'm on a mission to track down some long lost relatives, anyone know the Tapper family from somewhere in Mooroolbark?

Any other advice you have would be greatly accepted too.

Jonny
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

loulou_tropicana will become famous soon enoughloulou_tropicana will become famous soon enough

Cheers for the comment,

perhaps I should have emphasised the fact I may consider a move later on, in reality its unlikely I would want to move elsewhere for some considerable time, in particular if I can arrange some further professional development at RMH - which is out of the question in the cash strapped UK.

Besides, I'm on a mission to track down some long lost relatives, anyone know the Tapper family from somewhere in Mooroolbark?

Any other advice you have would be greatly accepted too.

Jonny
Hi there,
I'm going it alone, heading to melbourne hopefully towards the end of this year on a 136 visa which is being processed now. Really nervous, what is everyone going on their own doing for accommodation when you get there? Is there hospital accommodation available at some hospitals? - (not a big fan of hospital accommodation, but when needs must and all) I have 2 years post reg experience in acute medicine, haven't applied for any jobs yet but the Alfred hospital looks promising, anyone work there or going to work there? Would love to hear from you x
Lou x
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Lou,

I have a job lined up at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, emergency dept, will be 2 yrs qualified when I start - currently at QMC, Nottingham ED. Had my interview a month ago by telephone and it looks like I'm good to go (as long as I can download the damn contract on my slow ass laptop!) Have agreed to go out mid-july or soon after depending on Visa processing time, they are meeting me at the airport and are setting up some short term accomodation via there agent, which I'll have to pay for - apparently the staff digs they had was demolished not so long ago. I'm trying to sort out a place in a share house before I go via various Melbourne based letting agents.
Would be glad to keep in touch if you like and let you know how things go, I'm sure the Royal Melbourne Hosp will be looking to take other people on, I can give you a contact for recruitment there if you wish although I'd imagine the Alfred will be after your services too.

cheers

Jonny
Old Mar 5th 2007, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

loulou_tropicana will become famous soon enoughloulou_tropicana will become famous soon enough

Hi Lou,

I have a job lined up at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, emergency dept, will be 2 yrs qualified when I start - currently at QMC, Nottingham ED. Had my interview a month ago by telephone and it looks like I'm good to go (as long as I can download the damn contract on my slow ass laptop!) Have agreed to go out mid-july or soon after depending on Visa processing time, they are meeting me at the airport and are setting up some short term accomodation via there agent, which I'll have to pay for - apparently the staff digs they had was demolished not so long ago. I'm trying to sort out a place in a share house before I go via various Melbourne based letting agents.
Would be glad to keep in touch if you like and let you know how things go, I'm sure the Royal Melbourne Hosp will be looking to take other people on, I can give you a contact for recruitment there if you wish although I'd imagine the Alfred will be after your services too.

cheers

Jonny
Hi Jonny,
Thanks for the reply. Thats nice that they meet you at the airport! Are you going on a 457 visa? Congratulations for securing a job, how was the telephone interview? what sort of things did they ask you cus no doubt I will have to go through that shortly! I thought about house sharing, I've been looking on the net, so many of the rooms come unfurinshed unfortunately cus I think I'm just gonna want a bed to crash out after that flight, there are some furnnished so I will keep browsing. It would b great if you could give me a conact for recruitment at the royal melbourne. Thanks for your help and keep in touch x
Lou x
Old Mar 5th 2007, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Lou,

send me quick message at [email protected] and I'll answer all your questions, as best I can.

Chat soon

Jonny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.