Does it get any better ??

Old Oct 24th 2005, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice
Default Does it get any better ??

Just wondered to those of you who have been here in Oz for a while, How long does it take to get over the shock of how different things are particularly in midwifery, and does it get better. Most nurses and midwives i know who have recently arrived are not enjoying being part of the caring profession here in OZ. But then again we possibly didnt enjoy it in the UK either and thats why we are here.

Just had a bad day I suppose but I am beginning to doubt my own sanity sometimes

I am wondering if its easier to just de programme and re programme.

Or I wonder how many of us just call it a day and go to Woolies instead

As Scarlet O'Hara said tomorrow is another day (or something like that ) but then again she only had a civil war to deal with !!
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Does it get any better ??

Originally Posted by marysidey
Just wondered to those of you who have been here in Oz for a while, How long does it take to get over the shock of how different things are particularly in midwifery, and does it get better. Most nurses and midwives i know who have recently arrived are not enjoying being part of the caring profession here in OZ. But then again we possibly didnt enjoy it in the UK either and thats why we are here.

Just had a bad day I suppose but I am beginning to doubt my own sanity sometimes

As Scarlet O'Hara said tomorrow is another day (or something like that ) but then again she only had a civil war to deal with !!
Depends who you ask, but for me NO. I hate nursing over here, but a jobs a job and I still have the rent to pay so there's nothing else for it just now.
Another quote that springs to mind every day for me is click , click of the red shoes "There's no place like home ".
All the best ,
Tass (unfortunately somewhere over the rainbow living the "dream" ! )
Old Oct 24th 2005, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

How would you compare nursing and attitudes in the UK to nursing in Oz.
Boopy

Originally Posted by Tass
Depends who you ask, but for me NO. I hate nursing over here, but a jobs a job and I still have the rent to pay so there's nothing else for it just now.
Another quote that springs to mind every day for me is click , click of the red shoes "There's no place like home ".
All the best ,
Tass (unfortunately somewhere over the rainbow living the "dream" ! )
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Hi Mary, I know just how you feel. I've been here 9 months and still find it all very frustrating. I can't de-programme and re-programme because I am too pig-headed. I refuse to drop my standards. I wasn't satisfied in the UK either, but took the midwifery profession for granted.

Having said that, there is a lot of push for change here and things will change - eventually. Also, career-wise I have more options. Because I have more skills, experience and qualifications than most midwives here - I have more choice. I plan to be out of the clinical area within a year - possibly research or lecturing, maybe woolies.

I think it helps if you only work part-time (do you work full-time?) I only work 2x 12hrs a week. I can put up with any amount of sh*t because my days off more than compensate. I've just completed my scub diver - open water course. Something I would not have done in the UK.

Keep your chin up and don't re-programme. Force them to re-programme.

Rachel
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boopy
How would you compare nursing and attitudes in the UK to nursing in Oz.
Boopy
I can only speak from my experience in a maternity ward with midwives. Many of the midwives I work with see themselves as nurses. They are unable to work from the basis that most the women and babies they care for are not ill. They also follow guidelines, drs orders etc without question. Don't get me wrong - they are all lovely and I have made some good mates. But, they think I'm weird and odd-ball because I won't follow stupid guidelines, or won't wake a baby to do it's temp (I fit any necessary obs around the mother and baby). I take the p**s out of them for blindly following orders and they take the p**s out of me saying 'don't ask her to do that - she's not a nurse'.

Rachel
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:31 am

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RReed
I can only speak from my experience in a maternity ward with midwives. Many of the midwives I work with see themselves as nurses. They are unable to work from the basis that most the women and babies they care for are not ill. They also follow guidelines, drs orders etc without question. Don't get me wrong - they are all lovely and I have made some good mates. But, they think I'm weird and odd-ball because I won't follow stupid guidelines, or won't wake a baby to do it's temp (I fit any necessary obs around the mother and baby). I take the p**s out of them for blindly following orders and they take the p**s out of me saying 'don't ask her to do that - she's not a nurse'.

Rachel

reading all this fills me with two things.

1) dread for the crap i have to follow - i feel in the uk approaching 6 yrs post qualification, i have jumped through the hoops and learnt one hell of alot, i suture, cannulate, scrub, IVs etc etc and the thought of doing it all again, fills me with dread

2) the challenge of it all, i am gobby and like to play devils advocate, however when i moved hospitals 2 yrs ago, i felt beaten down with trying to change things and it got me down..........................i felt i was fighting a loosing battle...............

i have a friend who has moved to perth and she has wrote me a letter full of things she has to do, for ??? reason! such as measuring ladies urine for 3 days post delivery ?????????? things like this i would find extremely difficult and a waste of my time when i could be supporting, encouraging and being with the patients.........

we will have to wait and see!! i am not too proud to admit i am ignoring these things at the moment and burying my head!!!! have too much to do at the moment! However i will only be working part time in oz so perhaps being part time i will have the strength and determination to change things...............for the better i hope............

amanda
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Jacs will become famous soon enoughJacs will become famous soon enough

no Im not enjoying it, in my area i feel like a tea maid however I start a new job monday which will hopefully give me more satisfaction

i loved my job in the uk, but as I am getting paid to be a glorified receptionist here the money isnt bad

I think it will take a while to get used to as long as we dont compromise our standards

fingers crossed for everyone keep smiling and laughing

Jackie
Old Oct 29th 2005, 11:24 pm

nikkers will become famous soon enoughnikkers will become famous soon enough

Hiya

I've been working for 7 months now and it feels better.

I've stopped comparing and now notice the nice things about working here.

At the end of my shift I walk away and don't think about work.My days off are so great like being on holiday in the sun.

The life is such a slower pace here I feel more relaxed. Work is such a small part of my life now.I think thats the big difference.

The surgeon I worked with in the UK emails me about the patients and the NHS and its a reality check.Recently they have stopped the surgeons operating cancelling one list a week for them all as the trust is so overspent.He is so frustrated with it all.Goverment targets etc its nice to be away from that.

I do miss my work colleagues. Its so medical led here.I find that the hardest thing.

Nikki x