Correct order for seeking Post?

Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

asde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Correct order for seeking Post?

Hiya all..im looking for some initial general advice about where to start..every couple of days i figure ive got things worked out then ill see something else which makes me doubt what i had been thinking.Im looking to move out to Queensland some time this year(asap) and seek a post-i currently an RMN 37yrs with 15 years experience mostly in Acute and latterly Rehab-however i qualified before P2000 and so do not have a Diploma.I meet the points requirement for the Skilled Independent Migrant Visa 175 which im assuming is the best visa to apply for.
So far i reckon for me its best to not go through an agency but seek out a post direct.
I thought i had it figured out as 1st Register with Queensland-Register nationally-seek out post direct-apply for a visa(probably a pr visa) but some recent reading has made me doubt this and i feel like im tying myself in knots.
I feel confident in which forms/transcripts/police/med checks i need done and where/how to get and forward them but its the most efficient and prompt order i keep tripping up on(and even to some extent which type of visa i should be looking at)

Whats best to start with?...seek out a job offer from Queensland before doing anything..or Register with Queensland first then seek out a job offer..or apply for a Visa 1st- then Register(Queensland and Nationally(?))- then seek out a post?and where does the Registering Nationally part fit into the process?
Any advice from those who have been through or started the process would be much appreciated.
Also..i have some concerns surfacing about not having a Diploma and what this would mean re. having to submit to competency tests and the like..is this something i should be concerned about?
Regards to all
Andrew.

Last edited by asde; Feb 12th 2008 at 1:50 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:42 pm
ab uno disce omnes

PJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nice
Default Re: Correct order for seeking Post?

Originally Posted by asde
Hiya all..im looking for some initial general advice about where to start..every couple of days i figure ive got things worked out then ill see something else which makes me doubt what i had been thinking.Im looking to move out to Queensland some time this year(asap) and seek a post-i currently an RMN 37yrs with 15 years experience mostly in Acute and latterly Rehab-however i qualified before P2000 and so do not have a Diploma.I meet the points requirement for the Skilled Independent Migrant Visa 175 which im assuming is the best visa to apply for.
So far i reckon for me its best to not go through an agency but seek out a post direct.
I thought i had it figured out as 1st Register with Queensland-Register nationally-seek out post direct-apply for a visa(probably a pr visa) but some recent reading has made me doubt this and i feel like im tying myself in knots.
I feel confident in which forms/transcripts/police/med checks i need done and where/how to get and forward them but its the most efficient and prompt order i keep tripping up on(and even to some extent which type of visa i should be looking at)

Whats best to start with?...seek out a job offer from Queensland before doing anything..or Register with Queensland first then seek out a job offer..or apply for a Visa 1st- then Register(Queensland and Nationally(?))- then seek out a post?and where does the Registering Nationally part fit into the process?
Any advice from those who have been through or started the process would be much appreciated.
Also..i have some concerns surfacing about not having a Diploma and what this would mean re. having to submit to competency tests and the like..is this something i should be concerned about?
Regards to all
Andrew.
Hi Andrew,

If you know you want to go to QLD then apply for registration now. I waited until after I had been offered a job, then waited until they sent confirmation of the offer in writing. The process was a bit out of the blue for me, as I sent an email making a general enquiry, was offered an interview, attended and was offered a job. We were only at the stage of thinking about going one min then offered a job the next. Not that I'm slow timing this process or anything, but it has been almost 12 months from sending out the email and I am still waiting for people to provide references. I moved around a bit over the last 5 years so have had to contact a few people who I have not been in contact with for some time to request references. So I would recommend applying for your registration ASAP. Don't worry to much about not having a Diploma, you have a far more valuable commodity in your 15 years experience. Send an email expression of interest to QLD or any other area and apply for registration. Have a look at the web sites for what info they need. Once registered you will then need to apply for skills assessment with ANMC. By already being registered you will save quite a bit of cash as you may be able to go for the shorter assessment. The visa thing will depend on if you have a job offer or are going as an independent.

If others want to add to this their experience or offer different advice, then please do so.

At the end of the day there is a National shortage of experienced Mental Health nurses, you will have no problem.

Good luck.
Paul
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

jack89 will become famous soon enough

Follow Pauls advice and u can't go wrong.
Its excellent
Old Feb 12th 2008, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Thx for the response Paul,that and writing stuff down in black and white has clarified things a bit.
One thing i was wondering is that in order to help speed things along a bit would it be quicker(tho more expensive) in terms of applying for a Visa to first get skills assessment from ANMC completed as i think i follow that you must have this done before you can apply for Visas?Or have i misread/misunderstood the info. from Immigration pages?
Originally was going to go down the sponsored/agency route which seemed to be fairly rapid progress but now definitely want to go independent/175 ways and the time scales some folks seem to be experiencing re. Visa processing seems quite a bit longer...hence me wanting to nash on fast and make up for the lost time hummin and hawin.Anyhows thanks so far.
Regards.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Heh...can i check another couple things with anyone?
The NMC Verifications Dept. guy said that i should send off my skills assessment application and copied documents to the ANMC BEFORE they send out their verification that i currently registered to practise..that sound correct?
Also as regards references...in the past 5 years ive worked in 2 different units but in same hospital/same nhs trust...however both charge nurses have now left(have a new one in current unit starting next month)....being as how my employment history is going to show 2 C/Ns/Units over a 5 yr period...can i get away with listing the CSDM(H grade) as my reference to cover this period?...1 reference for the 2 units seeing as how he Manager for both?The terminology on the guidance notes is throwing me "..reference from your Nurse Manager or immediate supervisor"...and provided i get 1 reference with dates does that then mean that employment statements from HR are no longer required?
Id like to try and swing it this way or else i foresee having to get employment statements from HR which in my experience is often a nightmare.
Again any info. from whomevers done it already much appreciated.
Regards.

Last edited by asde; Feb 14th 2008 at 11:17 am.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:52 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by asde
Heh...can i check another couple things with anyone?
The NMC Verifications Dept. guy said that i should send off my skills assessment application and copied documents to the ANMC BEFORE they send out their verification that i currently registered to practise..that sound correct?
Also as regards references...in the past 5 years ive worked in 2 different units but in same hospital/same nhs trust...however both charge nurses have now left(have a new one in current unit starting next month)....being as how my employment history is going to show 2 C/Ns/Units over a 5 yr period...can i get away with listing the CSDM(H grade) as my reference to cover this period?...1 reference for the 2 units seeing as how he Manager for both?The terminology on the guidance notes is throwing me "..reference from your Nurse Manager or immediate supervisor"...and provided i get 1 reference with dates does that then mean that employment statements from HR are no longer required?
Id like to try and swing it this way or else i foresee having to get employment statements from HR which in my experience is often a nightmare.
Again any info. from whomevers done it already much appreciated.
Regards.
you will the employment statement for your visa anyway, ask for it now this is what took the longest. Once reference will do