Clinical Nurse in Aus anyone who is did you??

Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:08 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Clinical Nurse in Aus anyone who is did you??

Hello to anyone who is already a Clinical Nurse/level 2 in Aus.

Did you find you had to take a staff nurse job and work your way up or did you manage to talk yourself straight into Clinical Nurse position?
Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of
Default Re: Clinical Nurse in Aus anyone who is did you??

Originally Posted by annqldau

Did you find you had to take a staff nurse job and work your way up or did you manage to talk yourself straight into Clinical Nurse position?

Blagged myself a Clinical Midwife/level 2. They just happened to advertise at the right time. I would have been happy to go for a level 1 but there were none. So, I applied because I wanted a permanent post.

Rachel
Old Nov 11th 2005, 7:20 am

Cheers Rachel...yes I incorporated your selection criteria into mine just took the babies out.

I have temporarily accepted the staff nurse job and am going to argue the top re pay and try to get top level 1 seen as I was level 2 in UK.

Think you may have the edge being a Midwife as can argue babies or born the same way all over where with me they may go on about systems etc. and cultural differences... .

Noticed England the people who changed jobs the most whether good or crap moved up the ladder fastest , so will adopt that approach here.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:21 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked as a level 1 for 12 months....but that was mainly because i wanted a very local job at first while i settled my family in. Found it easy to get a level 2 when i decided to look, there seem to be plenty around.
Good luck,
Michaela
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:27 pm

nikkers will become famous soon enoughnikkers will become famous soon enough

I started as a level 2 in Oncology yr 4(top of that grade) They were advertising and seem to always want experienced nurses.

I was a H grade in the Uk and do have an MSC in Oncology.

I was put in charge after 2 shifts though and it was stressful as everything is done differently here.

Now though 8 months on I feel very confident and the Drs know me better and I'm enjoying my job so much more.

I work at the Mater private and would recommend anyone to work there if you want more details pm me.

I have also managed to get a set rosta in fact they have been everso nice to me.

When the London bombs happened (I worked in London) I had 3 phonecalls fronm managers asking if I was ok,Did I want to phone the UK from work?or if I need time off they were lovely.

They also keep saying if I get bored or want a more challenging job to talk to them

I have sort of gone back 15 years in the job front but I never really came here as a Career move more a lifestyle move so at the moment its good.

I do think I've been lucky! I looked around another Hospital prior to the Mater and I really didn't like the way the staff were hanging around the desk it felt really clicky and the patients looked miserable I also didn't like the manager as soon as I looked round the Mater it felt nice and friendly and the managers are so nice. I'm really very happy there.

I do feel its important to see the wards etc.I do worry about all the nurses having Telephone interviews as its such a gamble.I don't think its hard to get a job every where is so desperate and you can always work as a casual to find out what the different hospitals are like before commiting.

Nikki x
Old Nov 12th 2005, 12:07 pm

Thumbs up Re: Clinical Nurse in Aus anyone who is did you??

The job I have accepted at the moment does say I have 4 weeks to try and bump my pay up so will try to get top of Level 1. But, also feel that after all my training in UK I'm sort of selling myself short by taking Level 1 when I was a G in UK and have done lots of courses to back that up. Feel skills and courses are relevant and transferable.

Starting at any level will be strange and new but like you have both said you soon get into the swing of things in any new job. I think I will keep trying for the Clinical Nurse posts problem is with a 10 year old don't want to do loads of lates or night shifts as he would be on his own with no family support so have to pick and choose a bit what I put in for.

Thanks for your support though has cheered me up to know it can be done and given me the incentive to carry on trying.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Noticed England the people who changed jobs the most whether good or crap moved up the ladder fastest , so will adopt that approach here.
The best advice I was given, just as I was qualifying in the UK, was

"if you want to get up that career ladder, stay nowhere more than 18 months. Go in to the post, make changes, leave something behind - and I don't mean your cardigan !!! If you can't make changes in 18 months you'll never do it. Stay too long in one place and people will wonder why"

Hopefully I have left some very positive changes behind in my career

Gill.... now where is that cardigan?
Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:04 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for seeming a bit thick...would you mind explaining what the level 1 and 2 nurses are? thanks
Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:15 pm

Level 1 is same as D to F in UK and level 2 is G up over then there are more levels after that for more managerial clinical roles same as UK.

If new here they try to give you bog standard level 1 if application is for staff nurse then you have to argue for higher grade. Otherwise you are back to approx 16,000 quid before tax UK equivilant.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:25 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Level 1 is same as D to F in UK and level 2 is G up over then there are more levels after that for more managerial clinical roles same as UK.

If new here they try to give you bog standard level 1 if application is for staff nurse then you have to argue for higher grade. Otherwise you are back to approx 16,000 quid before tax UK equivilant.
Thanks for the info. Will bare that in mind.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:50 am

Have decided to take the staff nurse job if I have to and to continue to apply for Clinical Nurse at least that way I can pay the rent... .

If I get plenty of applications in before the 22nd need not even mention my dabble with Blue Care as technically wasn't working for them at time of application... .
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:13 am

I am assuming PaulB is going to apply for clinical nurse posts as well anyone know?