Can anybody recommend a nursing agency?

Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

nisa-bun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anybody recommend a nursing agency?

I am currently starting the process of moving myself, husband and 4 year old to Australia on a business visa as a nurse. There are lots of nursing agencies who all say they can get me work in Northern NSW/ Gold Coast area. Unfortunately I have been stung by an agency before so I would like to know whether there is anybody out there who knows and trusts one. I also wondered whether its possible to be sponsored directly by a hospital rather than go through an agency. Any tips would be helpful. I don't know anybody here in the UK who has any experience of this move.

Any general info on working in ITU in Aus would also be helpful.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:00 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anybody recommend a nursing agency?

Originally Posted by nisa-bun
I am currently starting the process of moving myself, husband and 4 year old to Australia on a business visa as a nurse. There are lots of nursing agencies who all say they can get me work in Northern NSW/ Gold Coast area. Unfortunately I have been stung by an agency before so I would like to know whether there is anybody out there who knows and trusts one. I also wondered whether its possible to be sponsored directly by a hospital rather than go through an agency. Any tips would be helpful. I don't know anybody here in the UK who has any experience of this move.

Don't do it!!

There have been loads of horror stories from Nurses working on temporary visas.

Go for PR in the first place and save yourself a lot of hassle.

G
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Can anybody recommend a nursing agency?

Originally Posted by Grayling
Don't do it!!

G
:scared:

Tell me more.

How do I get PR? Does it mean signing a contract for more than one year?
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm here on 457, working as a psyche nurse in Melbourne.
The post I was given was not what I asked for - in fact it was what I stipulated I didn't want - a nursing home.

The place is alright, as the staff are nice, but it is not where my skills lie.
I am now applying for PR - 136 Skilled Independant - and I would recommend you do the same - it will not take much longer, if at all - and you won't have to go through the hassle I have.

PM if you want any help or whatever.

Cas
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:34 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

:scared:

Tell me more.

How do I get PR? Does it mean signing a contract for more than one year?
For a Nurse PR will not take long.

If you have PR you can work where you want and can leave a job if you don't.

A temp. visa ties you to an employer and if yiou leave them you also have to leave the country unless you can find another sponsor quickly.

Be wary with agencies unless you are on PR as other's experiences have not been good.

Caroline could tell you more about this.

It is also fairly easy to get a job directly once you have your visa.

Good luck

G
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

afcno9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.
My girlfriend and i are just about to apply for working holiday visas. She is an RMN and i will be looking for work as a care assistant within mental health. My girlfriend seemed to think that applying for a temp visa was the best way to start as we werent sure where we want to ultimatley set up base so to speak. I thought that if you get PR then you have to stay in the same place for 1 year, which wouldnt be good for us as we wanted travel around a bit until we find somewhere nice and then apply for PR.

What do you think?

Would we be better of applying for PR at the beginning.

Many Thanks!!!!!
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:47 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by afcno9
Hi.
My girlfriend and i are just about to apply for working holiday visas. She is an RMN and i will be looking for work as a care assistant within mental health. My girlfriend seemed to think that applying for a temp visa was the best way to start as we werent sure where we want to ultimatley set up base so to speak. I thought that if you get PR then you have to stay in the same place for 1 year, which wouldnt be good for us as we wanted travel around a bit until we find somewhere nice and then apply for PR.

What do you think?

Would we be better of applying for PR at the beginning.

Many Thanks!!!!!
You are better off going for an independent skilled visa from the start.

You can then go where you you like for as long as you like.

Only certain visas tie you to an area. A temporary visa ties you to one employer who you may not like.

Nurse visas are processed quickly.

Check which visa you qualify for:

www.immi.gov.au

Good luck

G
Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
Don't do it!!

G
Thanks for advice. Unfortunately I don't think I can get PR because I am over 45 years old and don't qualify for any of the visas. Is there any way around this?
Old Apr 15th 2005, 8:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for advice. Unfortunately I don't think I can get PR because I am over 45 years old and don't qualify for any of the visas. Is there any way around this?

Yes there is. Find an employer in Australia to sponsor you and you can get PR that way. DIMIA are open to waiving the age limit for Employer Nomination.

You are more likely to find a hospital in Australia willing to sponsor if you look away from the major cities. I doubt many agencies will be willing to sponsor for PR.
http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/employers/index.htm

Jeremy
Old Apr 15th 2005, 8:40 pm
Bitter and twisted

Yes there are.
You will need sponsorship from an employer but it can be done.

The best thing would be to talk to a migration agent.

G