BSc RMN

Old Feb 23rd 2016, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

northeast25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BSc RMN

Dear All,

This is my first post and would like to tank you in-advance for any advice/ support.

I completed my advanced Dip in mental health nursing in 2011. Since then have worked one year as a community mental health nurse (CPN) band 5. Then moved to crisis home based clinician band 5, then secured my band 6 as a crisis assessor for the last 2 years.

In between qualifying I have completed a BSc in Practice Development, making my mental health nursing qualification a full degree. I have just returned from a Down Under Live event which has left me with more questions than answers...

I am 41 years old, with a mental health degree. Got mixed information saying my 5 years experience has been removed as just got my top up degree in Dec 2015. The show visa advisers weren't sure if I could secure the points required? Not sure where to turn for solid advice so thought I would start here.

Could someone point me in the direction as to what order I need to do things to move forward? Feeling a little lost? Many thanks.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

mgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BSc RMN

You need to decide what visa you want, you mention points so I assume you want a 189 permanent residence visa.

Points come from age, language, education and work, as well as a few other places but you probably won't have any here.

You need to work out accurately how many points you will get, if you can't do this yourself then it will be best to consult a migration agent.

With regards to work experience points these have to be post qualification, in your case a nurse needs a degree, and thus post qualification is not until you obtained your degree. It does not matter if the work before you got your degree was the same or even a higher level it simply has to be post qualification.

Assuming your degree is assessed by ANMAC as similar to an Australian degree and relevant for nursing then you would get 15 points here.

I would assume you are going to need to sit IELTS/PTE-A and get very high marks to secure 20 points for language. You will get 15 points for your age.

So far you have 50 points and you need a minimum of 60, to make up the gap you need a minimum of 5 years post qualification work experience to gain 10 points.

When did you get your degree? If you can claim 3 years work experience and 5 points, then you could top up another 5 points through state sponsorship and go for a 190 visa.

Edit: please don't take all of this as set in stone, this is all based off my experience with the process! A registered migration agent can give you proper information.

Last edited by mgreaves; Feb 24th 2016 at 9:05 am.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Hi mgreaves.

Thanks for your reply. I will seek an appointment with consult a migration agent as willing to get out to oz and nurse asap.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Hi All,
Had a lengthy discussion with an agent. One point I am hoping for some help with.... At the time of me qualifying the highest I could achieve was a advanced diploma with commendation. There was no degree option. So in between upgrading my qualifications to a full degree I have 5y post registration. How can I seek confirmation regarding points. Seems odd that I would have no points as the degree dated Sept 2015. Is there any leeway? Who would I need to call? I would think I would not be the only one to have this issue.

Thanks again for any advice/support.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

mgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond repute

All work experience is post qualification, there is zero leeway as I lost points here. For a nurse qualification is strictly degree so work experience only counts from after your degree date.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 11:09 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northeast25
Hi All,
Had a lengthy discussion with an agent. One point I am hoping for some help with.... At the time of me qualifying the highest I could achieve was a advanced diploma with commendation. There was no degree option. So in between upgrading my qualifications to a full degree I have 5y post registration. How can I seek confirmation regarding points. Seems odd that I would have no points as the degree dated Sept 2015. Is there any leeway? Who would I need to call? I would think I would not be the only one to have this issue.

Thanks again for any advice/support.
Before they changed the qualification requirements you would have got points for your experience, BUT, they uplifted the qualification requirements to a minimum of degree level, so after that uplift only experience gaind post degree can count, and yes it caused a great number of problems for people wanting to move, but then again the immigration people aren't there to make it easier, they are just wanting to improve the standards in the country.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks mgreaves and Mikelincs.