Back in the hospital and loving it!!!!

Old Jun 29th 2005, 10:50 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough
Post Back in the hospital and loving it!!!!

Hi all Marie here,

just thought I would update you on my transfer from the community to the hospital, now that I have been working in the hospital since June 6th.

If any of you can remember me saying I was fed up with community nursing here in Sydney not being what I call professional and all that. Well, the girls from my ward invited me out for a night prior to me starting, and what a night that was, someones hen night, and nightclubbing after, strange meeting all the people you will work with together in one night, a kind of try before you buy, we had a great time though.

Just what I needed as I was feeling a little isolated working on my own in the private sector, working from home and desperate for a girlie night out. They also have regular nights out.

The ward is far busier than I had anticipated, but with my altogether 26 years of experience I am getting through this slowly but surely, I need to learn all the medication, as here in Australia all medication has about 5 or so different names and the doctors will use each one of them ( I am sure the UK had only one to concentrate on). Back to IVs and drip calculations and I'm going for a canulae study day soon so that I can learn how to canulate.

The girls on the ward are very friendly, nothing is a problem, they would rather you asked if not sure, take the time to explain ect so that mistakes don't occur. They are a very friendly bunch. I have between 6 and 8 patients to look after usually with assistance from an AIN (assistant in nursing-auxillary nurse), or EN, they do the showers, make beds and do the obs. The meds are in the patients rooms in a locked draw, we are responsible for all the care, we write our notes in the same place as the doctors, no seperate notes for us, physios, OTs ect do the same. There are some ENs who can medicate and they will take 4-5 patients themselves.

Anyway the NUM ( Nurse unit manager), sister to you, is from London, the nurse educator for the ward is from Manchester, there are Scotish and Irish nurses everywhere, the usual cry is oh no not another pommy nurse!

I really feel I have made the best choice going back to the hospital after 14 years of community nursing, I just couldn't put up with another day over here, and I think working in cardio/respiratory will be the sea change I am looking for. Hoping to do the coronary care course asap.

I must also add you need to prove when it comes to your pay circumstances that you have done the x number of years as a nurse that you say you have, take all the evidence you can with you, otherwise they pay you as a first time nurse until you can supply them with the evidence or sign a statutory declaration. In NSW anyway, I don't know or anywhere else.

I know the saying goes that once a community nurse always a community nurse, I thought I was destined to continue with that in Australia, however it just wasn't for me.

Good luck to all those still trying!

Marie
Old Jun 29th 2005, 11:01 am
playing the angel

tinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in the hospital and loving it!!!!

Marie,

It's so encouraging to hear of some positive feedback on nursing in Australia.
I am so glad that you have found somewhere to work that you really enjoy.

I am also planning on working within the hospital setting, not quite sure where yet, but your words have given me inspiration and something to look forward to.

Hope everything continues to go well for you

Best wishes

Tinkaxx
karma sent
Old Jun 30th 2005, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Nice to hear someone who is loving their work, good for you!
Old Jun 30th 2005, 9:09 am
Just Joined

strongbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Back in the hospital and loving it!!!!

What sort of ward do you work on? whats your shift pattern? Staffing levels?
It does sound good and enjoyable!
Strongbow
Old Jul 6th 2005, 8:33 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by strongbow
What sort of ward do you work on? whats your shift pattern? Staffing levels?
It does sound good and enjoyable!
Strongbow
Sorry it's taken an age to reply, but I have been sooooo... busy!

The ward is cardio/respiratory and very busy due to the winter pressures.

I work 2 mornings and 3 evenings one week then 3 mornings and 2 evenings in the next, night duties are few for me as I have requested not to do these if possible, just not a night time person, we self roster, which means you put your request for each shift you want to work on the roster in pencil. You will see if the request has been granted when the roster is typed, usually it is. There are some staffing problems like any major ward, however, they are recruiting and hope to be fully staffed soon.

I have cottoned on to this roster business as I was not putting requests in on my first weeks on the ward and found split days off ect. However, having had this pointed out to me I now make sure I request days off and other requests such as appointments ect. We get an ADO day (day off) rostered every fortnight I think, but because I am not entitled to a holiday until I have worked 3 months I have ellected to take them altogether so that I can have a weeks holiday with my sister when she comes over to see me at the end of this month.

Yeh! It's quite a good ward to be on, although a little bit more adventurous than I had anticipated for me, I think it will take a short time to get fully into the swing of things as there is so much to take in, but I am finding it more enjoyable each day as each day is different, busy but rewarding.

Marie
Old Jul 6th 2005, 10:03 am

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

SOUNDS FAB - Just what i was looking for - but wrong area!!! minor point!! thanks for some posistive feedback, much needed and much appreciated
thanks
amanda
Old Jul 18th 2005, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Milo
Hi all Marie here,

just thought I would update you on my transfer from the community to the hospital, now that I have been working in the hospital since June 6th.

If any of you can remember me saying I was fed up with community nursing here in Sydney not being what I call professional and all that. Well, the girls from my ward invited me out for a night prior to me starting, and what a night that was, someones hen night, and nightclubbing after, strange meeting all the people you will work with together in one night, a kind of try before you buy, we had a great time though.

Just what I needed as I was feeling a little isolated working on my own in the private sector, working from home and desperate for a girlie night out. They also have regular nights out.

The ward is far busier than I had anticipated, but with my altogether 26 years of experience I am getting through this slowly but surely, I need to learn all the medication, as here in Australia all medication has about 5 or so different names and the doctors will use each one of them ( I am sure the UK had only one to concentrate on). Back to IVs and drip calculations and I'm going for a canulae study day soon so that I can learn how to canulate.

The girls on the ward are very friendly, nothing is a problem, they would rather you asked if not sure, take the time to explain ect so that mistakes don't occur. They are a very friendly bunch. I have between 6 and 8 patients to look after usually with assistance from an AIN (assistant in nursing-auxillary nurse), or EN, they do the showers, make beds and do the obs. The meds are in the patients rooms in a locked draw, we are responsible for all the care, we write our notes in the same place as the doctors, no seperate notes for us, physios, OTs ect do the same. There are some ENs who can medicate and they will take 4-5 patients themselves.

Anyway the NUM ( Nurse unit manager), sister to you, is from London, the nurse educator for the ward is from Manchester, there are Scotish and Irish nurses everywhere, the usual cry is oh no not another pommy nurse!

I really feel I have made the best choice going back to the hospital after 14 years of community nursing, I just couldn't put up with another day over here, and I think working in cardio/respiratory will be the sea change I am looking for. Hoping to do the coronary care course asap.

I must also add you need to prove when it comes to your pay circumstances that you have done the x number of years as a nurse that you say you have, take all the evidence you can with you, otherwise they pay you as a first time nurse until you can supply them with the evidence or sign a statutory declaration. In NSW anyway, I don't know or anywhere else.

I know the saying goes that once a community nurse always a community nurse, I thought I was destined to continue with that in Australia, however it just wasn't for me.

Good luck to all those still trying!

Marie

Hi,
I have just come across this thread. Glad to hear that you are enjoying it on the wards. You are right about what you say in relation to proving experience. I emailed my future ward manager and asked about pay etc. I giot an email from HR the other day saying that I would be starting on $17 an hour which is the lowest pay grade. I have to get a letter from my current manager stating experience etc. I don't know what difference that will make to my wages but it must be better than what it looks at the moment.

The shift pattern sounds good. That's the only thing putting me off my job. It's 8 hour shifts whereas I currently do 12 which I much prefer. I was shown a copy of the rota while I was there for a visit last year and they do earlys, lates and nights in the same week . I don't know how long I will be able to sustain that.

Apart from the pay and hours it seems like a really good unit and I can't wait to get there.

I hope they are as friendly and sociable where I 'm going. Sounds like fu

Tracey