Aussie style CV?

Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

IRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really nice
Question Aussie style CV?

Hi,

I've been reading some of the threads and some people have mentioned updating their CV to Aussie style. What does this mean? Do they prefer shorter CV's?
Anyone out there please help! I am planning to go over in Feb and will try to set up interviews when I get there, so need my CV to be very Aussie looking!

Thanks, Andrea
Old Jan 16th 2007, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie style CV?

Originally Posted by IRBaboon
Hi,

I've been reading some of the threads and some people have mentioned updating their CV to Aussie style. What does this mean? Do they prefer shorter CV's?
Anyone out there please help! I am planning to go over in Feb and will try to set up interviews when I get there, so need my CV to be very Aussie looking!

Thanks, Andrea
Apparantly they like them longer.

I personally don't think it's that necessary, the main thing they want is to see relevant stuff just like in the UK. Upside to it is that when you're in the UK you try to cram everything in to 2 pages whereas here you don't need to

Some good info on CV's on www.seek.com.au
Old Jan 16th 2007, 12:29 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IRBaboon
Hi,

Thanks, Andrea

Depends on your occupation and what they require... I do my occupations selection criteria and stick to UK style CV and always get interviews... may not always get the job but you have to get to interview to have a chance and they've worked so far... .
Old Jan 16th 2007, 12:52 pm

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

Hi,
I posted my UK CV on the QLD health authority website and got a job offer from that.My agent insisted I do my CV ozzie style too ,and it was basically a longer version with details of why we were moving and explanations of the companies I worked for.It also had info about my partner and kids too.
Andy
Old Jan 16th 2007, 11:50 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Mines just a very detailed CV what I did, when and where and what I achieved etc... its 8 pages long, but the hospitals i have emailed it to so far seem ok with it.

jackie
Old Jan 17th 2007, 12:08 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Mines just a very detailed CV what I did, when and where and what I achieved etc... its 8 pages long, but the hospitals i have emailed it to so far seem ok with it.

jackie
mine is only 3 pages long...........maybe thats where i am going wrong. i have changed it and gone off the seek/my career lay out, but, maybe thats not enough. i have only every worked for 4 companies in my career. judging by what others have said, do i need to lengthen my cv? i am not even getting interviews, even for mundane jobs. do i also need to mention my family? i didnt want to give them any ammunition to say no from the offset, so have not mentioned by nationality or the fact that i have 2 young children.

i dont particularly want to pay someone to 'do it' for me, but after all the jobs i have applied for with nothing back, i must be doing something wrong. so, i figure it is maybe the cv?

to the O/P, if you go on the websites mentioned, it does give you advice on how to lay it out. i would try and get it done before you leave the UK, whilst you are sitting kicking your heels, rather than the pressure on you when you get to australia of trying to find employment (together with all the other stuff you have to do). good luck.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
mine is only 3 pages long...........maybe thats where i am going wrong. i have changed it and gone off the seek/my career lay out, but, maybe thats not enough. i have only every worked for 4 companies in my career. judging by what others have said, do i need to lengthen my cv? i am not even getting interviews, even for mundane jobs. do i also need to mention my family? i didnt want to give them any ammunition to say no from the offset, so have not mentioned by nationality or the fact that i have 2 young children.

i dont particularly want to pay someone to 'do it' for me, but after all the jobs i have applied for with nothing back, i must be doing something wrong. so, i figure it is maybe the cv?

to the O/P, if you go on the websites mentioned, it does give you advice on how to lay it out. i would try and get it done before you leave the UK, whilst you are sitting kicking your heels, rather than the pressure on you when you get to australia of trying to find employment (together with all the other stuff you have to do). good luck.
I'll have a look at it for you if you want
Old Jan 17th 2007, 1:55 am

mine is only 3 pages long............
I never mention my family it's got stuff all to do with the people I want to work for.

I give my personal details including address, visa status and driving license, general educational background including all occupation relevant large courses over the years. Give them general background of jobs, who with, how long and title & salary/grade.

Then I do little mini essay about how wonderful I am in case they haven't noticed... .
Old Jan 17th 2007, 7:00 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'll have a look at it for you if you want
would you wendy? do you want to pm me your e-mail address, so i can attach it to an e-mail? you're a star
Old Jan 17th 2007, 7:02 am
Never going back

Originally Posted by annqldau
I never mention my family it's got stuff all to do with the people I want to work for.

I give my personal details including address, visa status and driving license, general educational background including all occupation relevant large courses over the years. Give them general background of jobs, who with, how long and title & salary/grade.

Then I do little mini essay about how wonderful I am in case they haven't noticed... .
well, thats what i thought, i never have done before. my family has nothing to do with how well i can do a job. i have never mentioned my visa status though?.................maybe that is something i can add on to the cv? got the driving licence bit on.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 7:21 am

well, thats what i thought, i never have done before. my family has nothing to do with how well i can do a job. i have never mentioned my visa status though?.................maybe that is something i can add on to the cv? got the driving licence bit on.
They are not supposed to discriminate because of your family standing so you may be giving them information that causes them to involuntarily do so ie. she has kids will be off all the time etc.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 7:47 am
Never going back

Originally Posted by annqldau
They are not supposed to discriminate because of your family standing so you may be giving them information that causes them to involuntarily do so ie. she has kids will be off all the time etc.
thats what i always think, if they get 2 cv's much the same, but one has 2 small children and the other is single, although they are not meant to, most employers would go for the singleton every time.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:28 am

thats what i always think, if they get 2 cv's much the same, but one has 2 small children and the other is single, although they are not meant to, most employers would go for the singleton every time.

Yes the singleton is hardly going to put no children but party animal who takes drugs drinks and takes every Mon off and every Friday if going out... .
Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:53 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Sleeping Beauty;4292107]mine is only 3 pages long...........maybe thats where i am going wrong. i have changed it and gone off the seek/my career lay out, but, maybe thats not enough. i have only every worked for 4 companies in my career.

I think thats why my CV is so long, I have worked for the NHS for 22 years and moved about quite a bit!

Oooh I have just noticed we have new smilies!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:32 am

[QUOTE=Mrs JFW;4293282]
mine is only 3 pages long...........maybe thats where i am going wrong. i have changed it and gone off the seek/my career lay out, but, maybe thats not enough. i have only every worked for 4 companies in my career.

I think thats why my CV is so long, I have worked for the NHS for 22 years and moved about quite a bit!

Oooh I have just noticed we have new smilies!
yes we have, I liked the old ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.