Anyone experienced problems with Oz nursing agencies?

Old Oct 7th 2004, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

nursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anyone experienced problems with Oz nursing agencies?

Originally Posted by glittababe
Hi there,

Anyone had any probs with oz nursing agencies eg unexplained costs, no work, visa probs etc Presently going through probs cos of an agency in brisbane! All they promise in London just doesn't come true eh??? Cheers X
Ever get a feeling of de ja vu? Ah how I can sympathise with you! I had the unfortunate experience of coming across Oxley (and Samios) last year and everything you've said is SOOOOOOO right! Promises the world, delivers nothing! She tried to give me a crummy job in Collinsville? Ever heard of the place? Its basically a mining town in the middle of nowhere where incest, alcoholism and domestic violence rule! She told me I'd be perfect for the job (I'm sure I didn't give her that bad an impression). She did the same to me, never indicating I'd have to foot the bill for everything! Came as bit of a shock I can tell you! G and Stef are right, they're recruitment agents and have no concern over you or your family. Samios thinks shes trapped you and you have to stay (well she made me feel like that), trust me shes got nothing on you! I never complained as I didn't want the hassel, but I met loads of nurses that couldn't stand her. She was always unprofessional, stunk of fags, lied through her teeth (actually if I can recall she was missing them) and was just fake! Listen I hope it all goes ok, I'm doing fine now but it cost me a fortune to get back on my feet after what they'd done to me. Be warned guys, Oxley is not all its cracked up to be. Samios will keep saying they're the preferred supplier to hospitals, actually theres a number of other agencies that are preferred suppliers, and who don't lie, Acclaim recruitment and Maddox are both really good, but after my experience I'd say go independent! Good luck with it all, be thinking of you!
Old Oct 8th 2004, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Oh Dear
I remember we talked about this before you left.
I would suggest that you take the opportunity while you are there of going to various hospitals and make yourself known and see what work is available.
Could one of them sponsor you on a temporary visa (up to 4 years) while you sort things out?
You should have no problem getting a visa independently but it will take time.

Hope it works out for you

Best wishes

G

PS. I have had dealings with the agency concerned in the past.
Unfortunately they all seem the same.
Thanks Nancy. Someone else who understands! Had the meeting with the Oxley MD and he was great, very diplomatic, professional and listened properly to everything we had to say. The bottom line is we are responsible for all costs! If we want to proceed and go with the temp visa then we have to pay the $170 fee. I don't think I'll ever come across anyone quite like our Ms Samios and nor do I want to ever again! Hard decisions to make now, do we stay, or do we go? The thought of the UK turns my stomach, yet we'd have to go back eventually to apply for PR and sell the house. Its a hard call. The kids are happy here, Mark and I are happy here! I know G's and JAJ's thoughts on sponsorship, and they are valid, the only people who can make the decision are us, unless we have a poll? Thanks again for your support XX
Old Oct 9th 2004, 4:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The thought of the UK turns my stomach, yet we'd have to go back eventually to apply for PR and sell the house. Its a hard call. The kids are happy here, Mark and I are happy here! I know G's and JAJ's thoughts on sponsorship, and they are valid, the only people who can make the decision are us, unless we have a poll? Thanks again for your support XX
You can normally apply for skilled independent PR while in Australia - just make sure you meet the requirements. You will have to go offshore for visa grant (usually to NZ for a week or so) but otherwise you don't have to 'go back to the UK to apply' - is that what you thought?

Even if you take sponsorship as a short term fix, it's just that - a short term fix. If you want a future for yourselves and your kids in Australia, you need to sort out your PR preferably asap, no ifs or buts about that.

In the meantime be very careful about your existing visa status. If you've become unlawful (eg your ETA has expired) without lodging a new visa application, then effectively you will need to sort out the situation from offshore. If you are refused a 457 onshore while holding a bridging visa, you're also effectively prevented from lodging *any* visa application while still physically in Australia.

Jeremy
Old Oct 30th 2004, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You can normally apply for skilled independent PR while in Australia - just make sure you meet the requirements. You will have to go offshore for visa grant (usually to NZ for a week or so) but otherwise you don't have to 'go back to the UK to apply' - is that what you thought?

Even if you take sponsorship as a short term fix, it's just that - a short term fix. If you want a future for yourselves and your kids in Australia, you need to sort out your PR preferably asap, no ifs or buts about that.

In the meantime be very careful about your existing visa status. If you've become unlawful (eg your ETA has expired) without lodging a new visa application, then effectively you will need to sort out the situation from offshore. If you are refused a 457 onshore while holding a bridging visa, you're also effectively prevented from lodging *any* visa application while still physically in Australia.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy,

Getting it all sorted but do have to return to UK to get documents together! Such a pain and expensive! Have compared the costs temp v's permanent residency and PR is cheaper! People always assume that 'sponsorship' is the cheapest option, they don't realise they'll end up footing the bill for everything! Just very glad I kept hold of the medicals and didn't hand them into DIMIA, otherwise it'll be another £400 we'll have to fork out for!

Many thanks and looking forward to getting back to Uk to see family, friends etc
Best wishes X
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 9:58 am
Just Joined

andrecat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jeremy,

Getting it all sorted but do have to return to UK to get documents together! Such a pain and expensive! Have compared the costs temp v's permanent residency and PR is cheaper! People always assume that 'sponsorship' is the cheapest option, they don't realise they'll end up footing the bill for everything! Just very glad I kept hold of the medicals and didn't hand them into DIMIA, otherwise it'll be another £400 we'll have to fork out for!

Many thanks and looking forward to getting back to Uk to see family, friends etc
Best wishes X
Oh, I wish we had seen all these sites before we came out here! We came on a sponsorship visa, and its such an expensive thing to do. Get your PR, even if it means going home! Its not just the cost of the visas, its the fact that you are subject to different taxation rulings. You cant borrow money at all, we even struggled to get a mobile phone on contract! We were attracted by what we though was the cheaper option, shame we didnt know better!
Never mind, you live and learn as they say!
Good Luck, hope you are here in Aus soon!
Cathy
xxx
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by andrecat
Oh, I wish we had seen all these sites before we came out here! We came on a sponsorship visa, and its such an expensive thing to do. Get your PR, even if it means going home! Its not just the cost of the visas, its the fact that you are subject to different taxation rulings. You cant borrow money at all, we even struggled to get a mobile phone on contract! We were attracted by what we though was the cheaper option, shame we didnt know better!
Never mind, you live and learn as they say!
Good Luck, hope you are here in Aus soon!
Cathy
xxx
Hi Cathy,

We return to the UK end of the month and we're looking forward to it as we can finally get PR sorted, earn some ££££££'s and sell the house! Will miss this place but its made us more determined to get back here asap! We're aware of all the pitfalls and have had it pretty tough! We actually worked out the costs involved for PR v's temp and its cheaper to go for PR, as with a temp you have to pay for medical insurance which is pretty steep! 457 visa is so not worth all the hassel! Learnt our lesson the hard way, should have listened to the free advice given by Grayling and JAJ - they were right after all! Anyway thanks for your advice and support, fingers crossed for getting PR! Take care Annie