Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations
Reload this Page >

any nurses working in education?please read - i need your thoughts...

any nurses working in education?please read - i need your thoughts...

Old Jan 9th 2005, 10:51 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default any nurses working in education?please read - i need your thoughts...

just a thought, but have any nurses worked in nursing education and used this as work experience?
The reason i ask is because I work on a casual basis for a college who run supported distance learning courses for HCA/auxillaries who work in the community, marking their written coursework. im very busy with marking at the moment, and have about 75 students i mark for. thing is, as i use my nursing qualification and experience to do this, could i include it in my work experience \( im thinking on the lines of how many hours a week i do...and putting this forward with my main visa application to satisfy the dimia rule of 20 hours + a week)

anyone have any experience/know anyone who might know/any ideas??

cheers guys.......

sue
Old Jan 9th 2005, 11:38 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any nurses working in education?please read - i need your thoughts...

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
just a thought, but have any nurses worked in nursing education and used this as work experience?
The reason i ask is because I work on a casual basis for a college who run supported distance learning courses for HCA/auxillaries who work in the community, marking their written coursework. im very busy with marking at the moment, and have about 75 students i mark for. thing is, as i use my nursing qualification and experience to do this, could i include it in my work experience \( im thinking on the lines of how many hours a week i do...and putting this forward with my main visa application to satisfy the dimia rule of 20 hours + a week)

cheers guys.......

sue
Sue
I was a Nurse educator but did not use my nursing background to apply for a visa.

I do not see any reason why teaching should not be counted as experience. You need your nursing skills to do it and it is a valid part of nursing practice I would have though otherwise Nurse Tutors would be ineligible.

You should check this out further but I am afraid I can't really help.

I am sure the college would provide evidence of your teaching so there must be some mileage in it.

Good luck

G
Old Jan 9th 2005, 1:08 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: any nurses working in education?please read - i need your thoughts...

cheers guys.......

sue
Sue

I think you have a very valid case. Surely the only way to find out for sure would be to phone DIMIA and discuss this with a case officer? I'm not sure maybe a good migration agent would know as well? Try Alan Colett at go matilda (he has a very good reputation). Better to try and find out 1st before risking all that money on a visa application.
I really hope that it works out for you - don't give up I have a good feeling about this.

Lynn
Old Jan 9th 2005, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

charlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant future

cheers guys.......

sue
Hi there Sue Happy new Year

I am a Practice Educator, and although I work F/T (sorry) I did use the infromation within my application. They should surely take it into concideration. Do you have a teaching qual i.e. ENB 998 or C.G. 747 . For your info the TAFE college are where the Enrolled Nurses are trained. As I have said before very different from our own. But you would have transferable skills to teach. They are also always on the look out for teachers to take their 'English as a second language' courses. Bare that in mind.

Charlie
Old Jan 10th 2005, 10:17 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie63
Hi there Sue Happy new Year

I am a Practice Educator, and although I work F/T (sorry) I did use the infromation within my application. They should surely take it into concideration. Do you have a teaching qual i.e. ENB 998 or C.G. 747 . For your info the TAFE college are where the Enrolled Nurses are trained. As I have said before very different from our own. But you would have transferable skills to teach. They are also always on the look out for teachers to take their 'English as a second language' courses. Bare that in mind.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,
happy new year to you too
Thanks for this! I read your timeline...Was your anmc and visa application based on your work as a nurse practice educator? if so it has given me enormous hope, as i do about 8-10 hours a week marking (unfortunately i dont have a teaching qualification), which along with my nhs 13.5 hours a week contracted hours would take me up to 20+ and will satisfy the employment rule!! I can easily space my marking so i do a regular 7+ a week to keep it consistent over the next couple of months..... I can get an employment reference along with a statement of employment that states these hours, and that my nursing qualification is used for the work i do.

Thanks Charlie!

*deep sigh* lets hope this is the solution!

sue
Old Jan 10th 2005, 10:29 am

Grayling and Lynn - thanks for the words of encouragement!!
My main concern was whether the teaching/marking was eligible to count towards my current experience and so enable me to use the hours I do to bump up to '20hours+ a week' I need to work to satsify the employment rule. I was unsure if the ASCO code for RGN encompassed such employment, or if it would be under a different code, in which case I probably wouldnt be able to use it as im not a qualified teacher per se. Although they are healthcare assistants i mark work for, and it is nursing work i mark, im not qualified in it......?
Ah well, I shall seek professional advice, and see what they say.
thanks for the help everyone!

sue
Old Jan 10th 2005, 11:18 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Grayling and Lynn - thanks for the words of encouragement!!
My main concern was whether the teaching/marking was eligible to count towards my current experience and so enable me to use the hours I do to bump up to '20hours+ a week' I need to work to satsify the employment rule. I was unsure if the ASCO code for RGN encompassed such employment, or if it would be under a different code, in which case I probably wouldnt be able to use it as im not a qualified teacher per se. Although they are healthcare assistants i mark work for, and it is nursing work i mark, im not qualified in it......?
Ah well, I shall seek professional advice, and see what they say.
thanks for the help everyone!
sue
I think you are def sorted but seek some professional advice. Let me know how you get on asap......the suspense is killing me already.
To me this is still nursing work (ie the marking you do requires a trained nurse to do it) I am sure this will count as part of your 20 hour working week - do you have the 12 months of that behind you or do you still need to work a little longer?

Lynn
Old Jan 10th 2005, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
I think you are def sorted but seek some professional advice. Let me know how you get on asap......the suspense is killing me already.
To me this is still nursing work (ie the marking you do requires a trained nurse to do it) I am sure this will count as part of your 20 hour working week - do you have the 12 months of that behind you or do you still need to work a little longer?

Lynn

hi lynn,
i still have to work a bit longer to catch up the 12 months worth, but should only take a couple of months. think i will also do some agency to make up the hours should it not be ok. There just arent enough hours in the day/week to fit it in!!

sue