Any nurses have difficulty finding work?

Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:58 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any nurses have difficulty finding work?

Originally Posted by Karen72
Hi I know how you feel, my situation is similar, in the UK I basically worked for an appliance contractor managing a home delivery service for medical appliances. Any patients who had problems with their appliances I dealt with as I have advanced qual's in stoma, and continence but aside from that my skills are prob out of date as I did that for 5 years. I don't want to go back to hospitals for return to nursing stuff as really don't want shift work so for me I think a career change is a definate. I got QLD registration although they did query it alot and it took 6 months, but I'm feeling i need to refresh my skills and i don't think i fancy that route! As there's lots of similar positions to my old one in the uk i thought it would be the same here so this has thrown me, been out for work nearly 7 months now, but onwards and upwards . Karen.x p.s. glad you found the site, speak to you soon.
If they have given you a QLD registration don't go down the refresher part as you will find nursing here still more basic in most areas than UK so should be able to pick it up doing bank work easy. When I got first job in ED was just like being a student all obs obs obs and bloods at first nothing complicated at all till you got round to the resus side which you didn't do for a few weeks anyway.

Can see the point of career change if you wish to do it, as nursing is all courses now to get you what the management want so you might as well do a career change course to suit yourself instead.

I work at present with a physio doing temp cover who is a second year medical student and a social worker who is doing his law training so you wouldn't be the first one to think of it.

Have you thought of Social Work here Karen don't know if you would have to do the full course and it's much more a counselling role here.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:20 pm
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Just thought you would like to know a company called McKesson run a 24 hour nurse call centre thingy here in Melbourne and in WA. Hope it helps, just google McKesson, I don't work for them but had an interview and you can work from home after a while so long as you have an office or study at home away from the kids and other homely noises. Good luck Mel

Originally Posted by carolynbubble
Hiya all

Dont have any fancy pics or anything yet as quite new to this site and still trying to find way about.
Im in simmilar situation I think. Have applied to ANMC for skills assessment and WANA for registration (still waiting on both) still to apply for Skilled Independant visa 136 for me hubby and 2 kids.
My dilema is that I have not been face to face clinical since 2002. Iwas ITU nurse till 1995 then Health Visitor till 2002. Since then been NHS 24 H grade as Team Leader (still clinical but not face to face so V difficult to explain0 Also did a bit practice nursing for 6 months. Applying for practice nurse locum posts at present and also hospital bank as feel this may be required. Any thoughts on this welcomed.
Carolyn
PS looking to go to Perth but still looking at Brisbane and melbourne
Old Dec 13th 2006, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought of Social Work here Karen don't know if you would have to do the full course and it's much more a counselling role here.[/QUOTE]

hi anne, hope youre keeping well.

do you think they might consider anurse for S.W then? there are soooooooooooo many joibs available for them. i'd like to get out into the community if i could, child health, any tips?

thanks
deb
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:35 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by debbiemc
Have you thought of Social Work here Karen don't know if you would have to do the full course and it's much more a counselling role here.

hi anne, hope youre keeping well.

do you think they might consider anurse for S.W then? there are soooooooooooo many joibs available for them. i'd like to get out into the community if i could, child health, any tips?

thanks
deb[/QUOTE]

They might fast track you, school nurses do exist here but not my line so couldn't offer much advice on that one although they don't seem to ask for a definite kids qualification when advertising them.