ANY MIDWIVES WHO HAVE HAD A TELEPHONE INTERVIEW??

Old May 11th 2009, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough
Default ANY MIDWIVES WHO HAVE HAD A TELEPHONE INTERVIEW??

HELP!
I have my first telephone interview tomorrow morning (Tue) at 8am and Im getting really nervous.

Has any other midwives had a telephone interview, and if so, what was it like and what did they ask you?

Please reply!

Thank you.
Karen
Old May 12th 2009, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

exhaused1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ANY MIDWIVES WHO HAVE HAD A TELEPHONE INTERVIEW??

Hi Karen,

How did the interview go? I have a telephone interview tonight (10pm) and really nervous! Will stay off the wine until then! Interview isnt for midwifery but as a Neonatal nurse.. hopefully they are feeling kind!

Claire
Old May 13th 2009, 11:38 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

How did the interview go Claire?
Old May 13th 2009, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Lyx,

I got the job! (subject to references of course) Im so pleased, something else off my mind now!

The job sounds great, on an extreamly busy unit!

Thanks for asking!
Claire
Old May 13th 2009, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough

Well done Clare! Where are you going?

My telephone interview went ok - 80 minutes, lots of scenarios etc. And then they told me I would need to do 3-6 months of nights a year so you can imagine my reaction to that.

Not had an offer or a bugger off you were rubbish e mail yet, but Im defo going to turn it down.

They said their Oz mw are encouraged to work a minimum of 6 weeks! Discrimination me thinks!

Karen
Old May 13th 2009, 5:32 pm
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

Claire, Well done you. Where is it. When you hoping to start?
Karen, Thats crap of them, still I would've been happy I prefer nights but if thats the treatment of overseas staff that they admit to, I'd be very worried as to how they'd actually treat you in real life.
I'm sure you'll find something better. There stills seems to be quite a lot of opportunities around for midwifes.
Old May 13th 2009, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Karen, Lyx...
The job is at the Mater Womans Hospital in Brisbane, on the (79 cot!!) Neonatal unit.. the interview went well, lasted 40mins, both interviewers were really nice, lots of development opportunities, rota system is a variety of days, nights, short and long shifts..they didnt mention having to do extra night shifts

Hoping to go by the end of the year/January, but "popping" over in September to house hunt so have arranged to meet with them to be shown around etc!

Karen, Ihope that you can find a job that suits soon! Are you looking in Brisbane?
Claire
Old May 16th 2009, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Hi Claire

No Im looking in Victoria. And I will be newly qualified so that limits my options too.

I will still keep plodding on but Im not holding my breath that I will find the right thing.

Karen
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

pringeli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Claire and Karen,

How did you go about getting your interviews? and what type of visa will you be going on?

I'm also a midwife and I'm looking at moving to Australia but a bit confused about visa types i.e would like to be there by the end of this year but don't want to go down the sponsorship route incase I hate it. I have applied for a job at the Mater hospital online so just have to wait and hear back i guess

Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Laura x
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pringeli
Hi Claire and Karen,

How did you go about getting your interviews? and what type of visa will you be going on?

I'm also a midwife and I'm looking at moving to Australia but a bit confused about visa types i.e would like to be there by the end of this year but don't want to go down the sponsorship route incase I hate it. I have applied for a job at the Mater hospital online so just have to wait and hear back i guess

Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Laura x
Hi Laura

If you have the points then you can go on a PR independent visa - I think it is 175/176? But these visas take longer to go through. When I spoke to an agent he was talking about a year for it go be processed, but dont know how true that is. I have a a couple of friends who went out on these visas last year and they took about 8-10 months.

We are going out on a 457, but only because I will be newly qualified, dont have enough points to do it independently and we want to get out there asap because my little girl starts senior school here next year and we would like to avoid that if at all possible.

If you have experience, I dont think you will have a problem getting a job offer.

Lots of luck, Karen
Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Laura,

We received our visa 175, 2 weeks ago! Was quite a lengthy process, took 11 months to actually be granted. However I do believe that if you can wait, then the 175/176 is proberbly the better option, really depends on your personal circumstance.

In respect of the job situation, I logged on to the Mater website, I had previously spoken to a representitive at Australia Expo last October so decided to have a look on line, I then sent an email with my CV attached , not thinking that I would hear anything for ages, about a week later I received an email asking if I was interested in a telephone interview. Had it the following week and was offered the job there and then! Have now received and returned contract of employment so really happy! Was so much easier than expected, or if I was just lucky:eek

Where are you looking at settling? Just have a look on line at all the local hospitals and start making yourself know to them, certainly wont do any harm!
Let us know how you get on!
Claire
Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Karen,

How are you getting on with your visa and job hunting? Hope the studies are coming along ok, I know how hard it is to do with children! It will certainly be worth it in the end!
Claire
Old Jun 7th 2009, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by exhaused1
Hi Karen,

How are you getting on with your visa and job hunting? Hope the studies are coming along ok, I know how hard it is to do with children! It will certainly be worth it in the end!
Claire
Hi Claire

With regards to my VISA application, I cant really do anything until I get my pin through which wont be until September.

Job hunting is going ok - Ive had 3 telephone interviews. The first two wanted to take up references but I declined because I felt they werent right for me. Waiting to hear from the third one, which would be a better option.

Studies are going ok. Just had some results come through which I was pleased with, so only 2 months to go, which I know are going to whiz by.

We are going on a 457, and I know this isnt the better visa, but like I said above my daughter starts senior school next year and we dont really want her to start over here. I will start my 175 process in Oz once Ive done my grad year out there. By that time I will have had 18 months experience.

Are you in Mater in Brisbane? If so, my friend has just stared there.

Karen
Old Jun 18th 2009, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

pringeli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I think I am going to go on the 457 visa option as its a cheaper and quicker option for me.

I have a telephone interview monday morning at 6am with the Prince of Wales private hospital in Sydney - can you give me any tips on what scenarios they gave you (claire and karen). Was it just like obstetric emergency scenario's? Did they ask you about yourself etc etc I am a midwife and have one and a half years part time experience (6 months contract and remainder on the bank). Feeling nervous about the interview ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so any help would be much appreciated.

Laura
Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pringeli
Hi there,

I think I am going to go on the 457 visa option as its a cheaper and quicker option for me.

I have a telephone interview monday morning at 6am with the Prince of Wales private hospital in Sydney - can you give me any tips on what scenarios they gave you (claire and karen). Was it just like obstetric emergency scenario's? Did they ask you about yourself etc etc I am a midwife and have one and a half years part time experience (6 months contract and remainder on the bank). Feeling nervous about the interview ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so any help would be much appreciated.

Laura
Hi Laura

They asked me about myself and my family and then they gave me scenarios, which were pretty straightforward (remember Im not quite qualified) - such things as:
1. what would you do in PPH situation;

2. what would you do if woman was having problems breastfeeding;

3. what would you do if a Doc said woman needed epidural and woman was declining, and Doc was insisting and said to get everything ready;

The good thing about a telephone interview is that you can have lots of prompts in front of you. Be warned, my two morning interviews both telephoned over an hour early!

Lots of luck, Karen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.