Any Community Nurses moved to Oz?

Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

rayandjane is on a distinguished road
Default Any Community Nurses moved to Oz?

Hi,

I'm a Community Nurse looking to emigrate with my family to Australia (Brisbane area hopefully). Are there any other community nurses out there who have emigrated to Australia? I'm trying to find out the kind of demand for Community Nurses there and any advice regarding Private or Health Service employment.

Regards,

Jane
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Any Community Nurses moved to Oz?

Originally Posted by rayandjane
Hi,

I'm a Community Nurse looking to emigrate with my family to Australia (Brisbane area hopefully). Are there any other community nurses out there who have emigrated to Australia? I'm trying to find out the kind of demand for Community Nurses there and any advice regarding Private or Health Service employment.

Regards,

Jane

Hi Jane ,
not community nurse , just your ordinary run of the mill type ! However ,Lynnelovesthesun and a couple of others are community nurses , hoping to move to Brisbane as well and have started threads on the same before (quite recently). Do a quick search on the nursing forum or wait until the lazy bunch get up and log on !

Good luck !

Tass.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 12:02 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Community Nurses moved to Oz?

Originally Posted by Tass
Hi Jane ,
not community nurse , just your ordinary run of the mill type ! However ,Lynnelovesthesun and a couple of others are community nurses , hoping to move to Brisbane as well and have started threads on the same before (quite recently). Do a quick search on the nursing forum or wait until the lazy bunch get up and log on !

Good luck !

Tass.
Hello Lynn Here!!!!! I'll have you know that I have been busy at work today doing my rounds and have now popped home for a 2 hour lunch! Just so busy ye no!!!?

Jane I never got any feedback on your Question either, just other peeps planning to migrate.

I am a community staff nurse (district nursing) with absolutely no intention of ever going back into the ward setting. ever. I am currently an E grade working in Glasgow and plan to migrate to Sunshine coast Brisbane within the next year. What about you?

Where do we get jobs. Blue care seems to be the main provider of community care but they are private. Are there any government run bodies? Lets hope someone lets us know!

Tell me all about your plans and stage of application

Lynn
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

jodesmc will become famous soon enoughjodesmc will become famous soon enough

Hi Guys,
not usre about Brisbane, but here in Vic a lot of community(district) nursing is done by the RDNS( royal district nursing service), so you could try perusing on that, also her in Vic a lot of hosps have started doing hospital in the home, a hospital based home setting of nursing, no showering, just drugs and assessing, so may be worth checking out something like that.
http://www.rdns.asn.au/Services/Hosp...n+the+Home.htm
http://www.bluecare.org.au/
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by jodesmc
Hi Guys,
not usre about Brisbane, but here in Vic a lot of community(district) nursing is done by the RDNS( royal district nursing service), so you could try perusing on that, also her in Vic a lot of hosps have started doing hospital in the home, a hospital based home setting of nursing, no showering, just drugs and assessing, so may be worth checking out something like that.
http://www.rdns.asn.au/Services/Hosp...n+the+Home.htm
http://www.bluecare.org.au/

Thanks for the links but the RDNS only operate in Melborne Vic not Queensland. Blue care do provide however but I am not sure if they are the main providers of DN care?

Can anyone out there shed some light?

Lynn
Old Oct 24th 2004, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Hello Lynn Here!!!!! I'll have you know that I have been busy at work today doing my rounds and have now popped home for a 2 hour lunch! Just so busy ye no!!!?

Jane I never got any feedback on your Question either, just other peeps planning to migrate.

I am a community staff nurse (district nursing) with absolutely no intention of ever going back into the ward setting. ever. I am currently an E grade working in Glasgow and plan to migrate to Sunshine coast Brisbane within the next year. What about you?

Where do we get jobs. Blue care seems to be the main provider of community care but they are private. Are there any government run bodies? Lets hope someone lets us know!

Tell me all about your plans and stage of application

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

I am currently an E grade working near Portsmouth and plan to migrate to the Brisbane area ASAbloodyP.

Ever felt disillusioned with the whole thing going on here? what is it all about eh? anyhow just about to put application in after going to expo next Sat. Have you got past the thinking stage yet? Its good to know there are others out there if you see what I mean!

Have you or anyone else got any clues about the references required for skills assessment? cos at present im clueless.

Seem to have started a paper mountain, good news for all those trees out there

regards
Jane
Old Oct 24th 2004, 9:18 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lynn,

I am currently an E grade working near Portsmouth and plan to migrate to the Brisbane area ASAbloodyP.

Ever felt disillusioned with the whole thing going on here? what is it all about eh? anyhow just about to put application in after going to expo next Sat. Have you got past the thinking stage yet? Its good to know there are others out there if you see what I mean!

Have you or anyone else got any clues about the references required for skills assessment? cos at present im clueless.

regards
Jane
Jane
If you want to work in a specific field it may be as well to find a job before you go.
Although there is a shortage of nurses they tend not to move around too much, mainly because of the career structure and because of geography.
In some areas community posts are hard to find. If they are easily available it may because they are in the outback.
Agencies tend to be primarily interested in placing you as quickly as possible and not necessarily where you want.
For queensland try :

www.seek.com.au

My experience is mainly in mental health but as far as I know community posts are also quite popular for Australians as well.
Someone living there may be able to give better advice.

Also have a look at the posts about registering in a state first and then applying to the ANC afterwards. It will save you money.

Good luck

G
Old Oct 25th 2004, 12:03 pm

Hi Jane

Yes Feel like I have been at the 'thinking' stage for bloody ages too - all seems so complicated!!!

As Grayling said I am going to save money by applying to Queensland for registration 1st then do a much cheaper/ simpler modified skills assessment with the ANMC!

Yesterday Hubbie Marc and I sat and tidied up all our paperwork into folders with polypockets and dividers and everything!!! Still not actually posted anything away (except letter to NMC asking them to send verification that I am registered in UK direct to QNC) Need time to phone around solicitors re. certifying docs and still awaiting reference from my evening DN job (I have a part time DN out of hours job - 2 evenings and 3 months ago I started full time days in the same health centre - so for the time being I am 45.5hours per week!!!)

I have been a bit naughty - because I have only started full time E grade 3 months ago I don't want to tell them about my plans to migrate to Oz so I have asked the lead nurse from my out of hours job to give me my reference instead - I figured that the QNC/ ANMC will be none the wiser as this is still tecnically a 'current' job. What are you doing about refs? Are you telling your employers? I will but just not right now as not planning to move for another year!

Lynn
Old Oct 25th 2004, 12:05 pm

Hi Lynn,

regards
Jane
P.s I am going to the Expo on Sat too! Flying down to Stanstead from Glasgow then going to try and work out how to get there by tube!!! Never been to London in my life!

Lynn
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Any Community Nurses moved to Oz?

P.s I am going to the Expo on Sat too! Flying down to Stanstead from Glasgow then going to try and work out how to get there by tube!!! Never been to London in my life!

Lynn
Im scared, I think you must be my double :scared:
Ive been doing a twilight post for two years or so and have started full time E grade post three months ago!!! hadnt really thought about who to ask for references yet. I have told my DN about plans just to scare her! but she is leaving anyway so I think the word sloping shoulders springs to mind!
Earls Court is really easy to get to as has its own station. Are you planning to get to the "Nursing in Oz" seminar? hopefully we will have it planned to military precision(hubby is ex services) so need I say more and we have got three kids to eject first! I am hoping Saturday will shed light on loads of questions cos I dont know where to start!

Email me at [email protected]
and I can send you my mobile No. (without the whole world seeing it !!!) and we could meet up at the expo if you want to.

Regards,

Jane
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:07 pm

Im scared, I think you must be my double :scared:
Ive been doing a twilight post for two years or so and have started full time E grade post three months ago!!! hadnt really thought about who to ask for references yet. I have told my DN about plans just to scare her! but she is leaving anyway so I think the word sloping shoulders springs to mind!
Earls Court is really easy to get to as has its own station. Are you planning to get to the "Nursing in Oz" seminar? hopefully we will have it planned to military precision(hubby is ex services) so need I say more and we have got three kids to eject first! I am hoping Saturday will shed light on loads of questions cos I dont know where to start!

Email me at [email protected]
and I can send you my mobile No. (without the whole world seeing it !!!) and we could meet up at the expo if you want to.

Regards,

Jane
Hi Jane

Freaky or what!!! I started out with the evening service to get me the experience to get a full time job on days and have just sort of kept both jobs on since although I am planning to hand notice in on evening post within the next 2 weeks so I finish up evenings in time for xmas. A full time job is quite enough! Before DN I was a D grade after I qualified for 2 years in Respiratory medicine (hated it!).

Was planning on trying to get into the nursing seminar - will have to look up the times etc. I think it is an agency called acclaim running that particular seminar but I don't want tied into any contracts/ agency, just planning on going it alone on the community job front. p.s I have e-mailed Caboolture and Redcliffe Blue Care for info/ advice on job situation with our experience. No e-mail back yet though. Will let you know what they say if they ever get back to me.

Will e-mail you my mob no - text me or something on the day and we could meet in that seminar or something and moan to each other about how complicated it all is!!!! Will have my husband Marc with me too (he's there to find out about engineering vacancies/ engineering seminar!)

Lynn
Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Any Community Nurses moved to Oz?

Hi Jane

Freaky or what!!! I started out with the evening service to get me the experience to get a full time job on days and have just sort of kept both jobs on since although I am planning to hand notice in on evening post within the next 2 weeks so I finish up evenings in time for xmas. A full time job is quite enough! Before DN I was a D grade after I qualified for 2 years in Respiratory medicine (hated it!).

Was planning on trying to get into the nursing seminar - will have to look up the times etc. I think it is an agency called acclaim running that particular seminar but I don't want tied into any contracts/ agency, just planning on going it alone on the community job front. p.s I have e-mailed Caboolture and Redcliffe Blue Care for info/ advice on job situation with our experience. No e-mail back yet though. Will let you know what they say if they ever get back to me.

Will e-mail you my mob no - text me or something on the day and we could meet in that seminar or something and moan to each other about how complicated it all is!!!! Will have my husband Marc with me too (he's there to find out about engineering vacancies/ engineering seminar!)

Lynn
It gets even freakier!!!!

My other half, Ray, is also an Engineer (electronics) so he's on the lookout for info as well!!!

C u Sat,

Jane