American Medical Assistant - Equivalent in Australia?

Old Sep 1st 2005, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

AustralianMaddy has a brilliant futureAustralianMaddy has a brilliant futureAustralianMaddy has a brilliant futureAustralianMaddy has a brilliant futureAustralianMaddy has a brilliant futureAustralianMaddy has a brilliant future
Default American Medical Assistant - Equivalent in Australia?

Hi,
I haven't posted one before. But seeing you guys being so friendly and nice I thought I'd just join.

I've completed my Medical Assisting Course and Injection courses here in the US. But now, my husband and I are moving to Australia in a couple of months. Apart from the 3 months of training at a Pediatiric clinic , I don't have any other experience.

Is there an equivalent of a Medical Assistant in Australia? If so,do they have similar responsibilities as here in US? Will my certifications from US be considered valid for a job in Australia or do I have to take up other certifcations/diplomas in Aus?

I sincerely want to take up Medical Assisting as my career. And may be nursing later. I just fell in love with the whole thing during my training.

I'd really appreciate any inputs from you guys.

Cheers
Sho.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: American Medical Assistant - Equivalent in Australia?

Originally Posted by AustralianMaddy
Hi,
I haven't posted one before. But seeing you guys being so friendly and nice I thought I'd just join.

I've completed my Medical Assisting Course and Injection courses here in the US. But now, my husband and I are moving to Australia in a couple of months. Apart from the 3 months of training at a Pediatiric clinic , I don't have any other experience.

Is there an equivalent of a Medical Assistant in Australia? If so,do they have similar responsibilities as here in US? Will my certifications from US be considered valid for a job in Australia or do I have to take up other certifcations/diplomas in Aus?

I sincerely want to take up Medical Assisting as my career. And may be nursing later. I just fell in love with the whole thing during my training.

I'd really appreciate any inputs from you guys.

Cheers
Sho.

Hi Sho !
I have only been here 10 months and am currently working in the local district general hospital. I have worked with people with similar training as you IN SCOTLAND , but have not here, yet. AIN's have slightly more scope here than HCA's in the UK but it all depends on what "area" of the hospital you are working in.Most of AIN's here are student nurses.I think your best idea would be to get in touch with the hospitals in the geographic areas of Australia you wish to work in and e-mail them direct.(and I would do it by department rather than going thru' human resources department , too general and non-specific)They will certainly let you know if your skills can be utislised , even under a slightly different role.
All the best to you.
I hope this helped a wee bit,
Tass.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

AustralianMaddy has a brilliant futureAustralianMaddy has a brilliant futureAustralianMaddy has a brilliant futureAustralianMaddy has a brilliant futureAustralianMaddy has a brilliant futureAustralianMaddy has a brilliant future
Default Re: American Medical Assistant - Equivalent in Australia?

Thank You so much Tass. That really helps.
As you said, I'll try contacting some hospitals and get to know more.

Cheers
Sho
Originally Posted by Tass
Hi Sho !
I have only been here 10 months and am currently working in the local district general hospital. I have worked with people with similar training as you IN SCOTLAND , but have not here, yet. AIN's have slightly more scope here than HCA's in the UK but it all depends on what "area" of the hospital you are working in.Most of AIN's here are student nurses.I think your best idea would be to get in touch with the hospitals in the geographic areas of Australia you wish to work in and e-mail them direct.(and I would do it by department rather than going thru' human resources department , too general and non-specific)They will certainly let you know if your skills can be utislised , even under a slightly different role.
All the best to you.
I hope this helped a wee bit,
Tass.