academic IELTS or OET engliish test which is easier ,

Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

markntracy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default academic IELTS or OET engliish test which is easier ,

We have just arrived on the gold coast and went to register with the queensland nursing council only to be told that since July the pass i obtained in the GENERAL ielts is no longer good enough and i must sit the academic ielts or the oet.

For someone who has lived in England from birth and trained in England which test would be easier to pass or are they very much the same.

Also the first avalible test is in October, is it possible to get an earlier date.

Any advise would be welcome, the thought of not being able to work until December is quite worrying.

thanks Tracy.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: academic IELTS or OET engliish test which is easier ,

Originally Posted by markntracy
We have just arrived on the gold coast and went to register with the queensland nursing council only to be told that since July the pass i obtained in the GENERAL ielts is no longer good enough and i must sit the academic ielts or the oet.

For someone who has lived in England from birth and trained in England which test would be easier to pass or are they very much the same.

Also the first avalible test is in October, is it possible to get an earlier date.

Any advise would be welcome, the thought of not being able to work until December is quite worrying.

thanks Tracy.
I'll move the post to the Nursing forum as I know the IELTS requirement has been discussed there a few times
Old Aug 28th 2009, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Difficult to say which one would be easier unless one had the experience of both!My guess is though that if you passed the general then the academic should not be an issue as the only difference is in the reading and writing sections where more detail is involved and a further stretch of you vocabulary.The real decision should be down to which institute has the earliest opening for test dates!There are plenty of online test papers you can try aswell as using the search option on this forum as IELTS is discussed to death regularly!
Old Aug 28th 2009, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Bjoernman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markntracy

thanks Tracy.

Hi Tracy,

I don`t know what the OET is like. But what I think to know is that the OET is with 528 A$ much more expensive than the IELTS. Here you got the link for the OET: http://www.occupationalenglishtest.o...spx?tabid=2470
Just scroll down and you can see the fees.

good luck

Bjoern
Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

thanks guys for your help, i didn't realise the oet was so much i think i better stick to ielts. october is the earliest date so i guess i wont be working untill next year.

thanks tracy
Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

mr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of light

I dont mean any malice but why did you not research this before you got there? The IELTS test requirement came in on the 1st July 2009. What happens if you dont pass it first time and it takes you a few months to pass it? Have you got enough money to keep you going otherwise this could be the thing that sends you home.

JOHN
Old Aug 28th 2009, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

your so right,my hubbie suggested we should check on registration but it seemed as though we had submited so much info and references that the nursing registration would be a formality. This would have been the case had the law not changed ,but with so many other things going on in England we missed this, yes it is a worry but at least we can get by for a while and I have plenty of time to study.
Tracy.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

mr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of light

As I said, no offence was meant. We are in the same boat but we are not in oz. We managed to get my wifes application in to the ANMC before the 1st July deadline only to find that the state bodies set the IELTS as a requirement as well. She has her test on the 12 September. If you google IELTS practice tests you will find loads of resources. Also look at youtube as that has LOADS of vids on it.

Our plan is that Lisa is going to take the test 3 times and then we will reassess. If she is just missing the 7 overall score required then she will take a course that our local institute is offering to help pass it. If she is way out then we will rethink our move to oz.

JOHN
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

I just realised that my last post reads really negative! Of course she is going to pass first time!

JOHN
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

thanks John, I never thought to look on utube, you know the funny thing about all this is that before leaving England the last item I sold on ebay was my ielts practice book. I do wish yourself and your wife every luck in her exam, sometimes these small setbacks can be benefical in the long run, ie the exchange rate or housing market may move in your favour.

Tracy.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mr luvpants
As I said, no offence was meant. We are in the same boat but we are not in oz. We managed to get my wifes application in to the ANMC before the 1st July deadline only to find that the state bodies set the IELTS as a requirement as well. She has her test on the 12 September. If you google IELTS practice tests you will find loads of resources. Also look at youtube as that has LOADS of vids on it.

Our plan is that Lisa is going to take the test 3 times and then we will reassess. If she is just missing the 7 overall score required then she will take a course that our local institute is offering to help pass it. If she is way out then we will rethink our move to oz.

JOHN
Hi John

Where is Lisa taking her test on 12 September. I have mine too on that day in Guildford.

And how is she getting on with the revision?

Karen
Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Colchester. We are revising everyday. Trying to do 30 mins at least. Lisa is definitely improving though!

JOHN
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

There seems to be a few who have recently done their IELTS. How does everyone feel they done?

JOHN
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough

Hi John

How did Lisa get on on Saturday?

I have no idea how Ive done!

Karen
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

I picked her up and expected her to say that it was "really hard", " I aint doing it again" blah blah blah.She got in the car and said it was not that bad and she reckoned she done enough to pass but if she has to do it again it not a problem!

JOHN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.