457 visa

Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

gormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nice
Default 457 visa

Hi All Can anyone pass on any advice re the 457 visa I am a nurse of 20 years exp I am at the moment in touch with a Australian recruitment and relocation company who have offices in London and Melbourne I have sent them my CV and they are sending me a application pack any advice or help would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:51 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of
Default Re: 457 visa

I going on a 457 next year with a promise of PR sponsorship after a 6 month probation period, I'm still a student at the mo so don't have experience for other visa and don't want to hang around the UK too much longer.
As a nurse with 20 years experience loads of hospitals in Oz would be glad to employ you so I would say don't keep all your eggs in one basket, you could try other agencies or do what I did and contact hospitals directly having a few people wanting your skills might give you some extra bargaining power to get a better visa
Old Nov 11th 2006, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

I am certainly no expert and am fairly new to this site, but i was originally going to work as a nurse on a 457visa, but this site has persuaded me otherwise. The restrictions are just too tight. I am qualified 12 months in 4 months so i am going straight on a 136 permanent residency visa, which gives you just about the same rights as a aussie born person. Research the 457 first. With your experience i suggest going for a PR visa straight away.457 are good for people newly qualified but are risky if you dont like the employer when you get there!!

gd luck

Ade S
Old Nov 11th 2006, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

gormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nice

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
I going on a 457 next year with a promise of PR sponsorship after a 6 month probation period, I'm still a student at the mo so don't have experience for other visa and don't want to hang around the UK too much longer.
As a nurse with 20 years experience loads of hospitals in Oz would be glad to employ you so I would say don't keep all your eggs in one basket, you could try other agencies or do what I did and contact hospitals directly having a few people wanting your skills might give you some extra bargaining power to get a better visa
Thanks for your advice, would a permanent residency take longer to obtain?
I am researching in all aspects at the moment, whats the best site to get
a list of hospitals in Brisbane, Queensland to apply to them myself.
Gormac.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Yes a PR visa does take a lot longer. The advice I was given from the immigration people was 6 weeks for a 457 and 6+ months for a PR..

The best website for all things about QLD hospitals is www.health.qld.gov.au. This lists all the hospitals, also a list of current vacancies and you can also submit an 'expression of interest' where you fill in your details and upload your CV and send it in to them. This is what I did and have had emails from hospital unit managers directly.

Are you registered with the QNC yet? If this is something you definitely want to do, I would recommend you make a start on that now while you're researching hospitals as it can take a while and if you read other posts on here, people are waiting for a while before their registration is processed.

As has been said before, with your experience, I would not hesitate at looking around and talking to everyone you can. The 457 is the visa I am going for but only because of lack of post reg experience. If you can wait, I would echo the points made above and go for a 136. (perm res)

This is a great place for you to find out everything. The official sites can be a little daunting at first but the more you read and get used to terminology, the easier it gets. For more official info have a look at the www.immi.gov.au site and read the guidelines a few times. Everyone on here is really helpful and I would not have been without it. Don't worry about asking questions. We've all been where you are and there is always somebody about to answer questions. Good Luck.

Originally Posted by gormac
Thanks for your advice, would a permanent residency take longer to obtain?
I am researching in all aspects at the moment, whats the best site to get
a list of hospitals in Brisbane, Queensland to apply to them myself.
Gormac.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 7:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gormac
Hi All Can anyone pass on any advice re the 457 visa I am a nurse of 20 years exp I am at the moment in touch with a Australian recruitment and relocation company who have offices in London and Melbourne I have sent them my CV and they are sending me a application pack any advice or help would be much appreciated.
Bottom line is that you can't stay in Australia on a 457 visa. So sooner or later you will have to apply for and obtain permanent residence. Otherwise you'll be taking a one-way trip home.

Many 457 holders cannot get permanent residence and have to do just that, so be careful.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

indalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Bottom line is that you can't stay in Australia on a 457 visa. So sooner or later you will have to apply for and obtain permanent residence. Otherwise you'll be taking a one-way trip home.

Many 457 holders cannot get permanent residence and have to do just that, so be careful.

Does having a 457 visa have a detrimental effect on applying for permanent residency?
I'm starting work on a 457 next Feb, and will be submitting a STNI 137 application this week - am I wasting my time?
Old Nov 12th 2006, 10:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indalo
Does having a 457 visa have a detrimental effect on applying for permanent residency?
I'm starting work on a 457 next Feb, and will be submitting a STNI 137 application this week - am I wasting my time?
Normally makes no difference.

But you need to be careful. If your 137 is granted and your 457 visa application is still outstanding, you should immediately withdraw the 457 application. Otherwise the grant of a 457 would cancel your permanent visa.

Are you fully aware of the risks of uprooting yourself if you choose to leave before your permanent visa is granted? (eg if the job didn't work out, or the permanent visa was refused?)