Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Zealandia - Mount Bruce - Kapiti Island - worth it?

Zealandia - Mount Bruce - Kapiti Island - worth it?

Old Oct 3rd 2014, 2:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Zealandia - Mount Bruce - Kapiti Island - worth it?

Is Zealandia any good at all please?

Do you get to see anything or just those leafy bushy spots where something may have been.
Is it value for money?

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 3rd 2014 at 3:22 am. Reason: typo.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough
Default re: Zealandia - Mount Bruce - Kapiti Island - worth it?

We've been and it is, in effect, a nice couple of hours walking. And there are plenty of places around Wellington that you can do that for free. Somes Island was much better, and you get a trip on a boat to boot!
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

A few years back they got in a new management who decided it would be good to charge big dollars for what had been free, as long as they did some fancy branding for it. Have heard it's a bit average. I think Wellington has plenty of appeal without needing to do it.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 9:32 pm
`

I did wonder. I;m not paying to view foliage. I can do that here for free.

We were looking for something new to see/do.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 1:51 am
Just Joined

Jnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile re: Zealandia - Mount Bruce - Kapiti Island - worth it?

Just been to Zealandia today as a family, it's a brilliant safe place and excellent. There is a really cool interactive museum with a movable Moa. And a nice cafe serving great food with toys for the the little ones. We saw a tuatara, Kaka and loads of tiu. As well as the amazing takahe. True it's expensive but it's cheaper than the Zoo and the money goes to saving these beautiful birds which can only be seen here.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Where else can you see Tuatara sunning themselves au naturale!
Old Oct 5th 2014, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoCarb
Where else can you see Tuatara sunning themselves au naturale!
Somes Island for starters or you can see baby ones in Nga Manu in Waikanae! I don't think it's worth the money, but they have reduced the prices I think as no one was visiting and it's losing so much money.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jnut
Just been to Zealandia today as a family, it's a brilliant safe place and excellent. There is a really cool interactive museum with a movable Moa. And a nice cafe serving great food with toys for the the little ones. We saw a tuatara, Kaka and loads of tiu. As well as the amazing takahe. True it's expensive but it's cheaper than the Zoo and the money goes to saving these beautiful birds which can only be seen here.
...says jnut from Zealandia Marketing dept!

I see Tuis every day in the trees in our backyard; and dolphins down in the bay at the end of the road. Got any of those?
Old Oct 5th 2014, 8:43 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I like Zealandia and I think the museum part is worth visiting at least once. They have an old mine that has hundreds of cave weta sitting on the walls, which I think is fascinating.
The bush walk part is nice, you can see loads of native birds, some of which you won't see outside like Kaka. Just don't go at busy times as all the daft noisy people scare off the birds!

Saying that, a couple of km up the road is Otari Wilton's bush which is free and has loads of Tui, Kereru and other natives, a small museum and several km of bush walks.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Its a waste for the price. Museum is ok, but Zealandia itself.......It's just bush, bush and more bush via walking tracks under the canopy a lot of the time, with a couple of nice bridges and a short lake sail ride for good measure. We didn't see much when we walked round :-(
Old Oct 7th 2014, 3:03 am
`

Thanks everyone. I think we've ruled it out really.

What about Mount Bruce or Kapiti Island?

Worth a trip ?

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 7th 2014 at 3:06 am.