Yummy NZ foods?

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:46 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yummy NZ foods?

louise slice - even the Arnotts one, proper cafe ones are super yummy
ice cream - like Kiwi and even cheapie brands are nice
Anzac biccies - even the home brand from New Woeld are yummy
pineaplle lumps from the freezer
Whittaker's choc - milk choc and some of the dark stuff is preferable to NZ Cadburys
feijoas - in small doses, now in season up here
tangelos from friend's trees
the frozen kiwi-fruit based thingies, can't remember name but don't leave em too long in the fridge, they ferment.....
kumara - but we liked sweet potatoes in UK!
fish & chips made to order!

the Thai in Manly and Sparks Cafe in Manly, Whanga'oa
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lardyl
louise slice - even the Arnotts one, proper cafe ones are super yummy
I have a recipie for that if you can convince the missus to make it - super easy!
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:33 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay
I have a recipie for that if you can convince the missus to make it - super easy!
please........./drools/
could get the kids doing it they love cake/biscuit making......
Old Apr 4th 2008, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

DTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really nice

Well I am sitting in the garden with a nice glass of "Passion Pop"....not sure if it is a New Zealand thing....but wow....$5.99 a bottle of sparkling wine flavoured with Passion Fruit or if wild berries if you prefer....yum!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 6:43 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
ok...stuffs in packages or containers - I consume European
European fruit and veg? Surely not!

So long as you're happy to eat in season the fruit and vegetables are wonderful here- I bought 10 red peppers today for less than three dollars

L&P
Apple-y apples
Feijoa (can't get enough of them but then I love lychee, passionfruit etc)
Seaweed Sakata
Timtams
Thai scallop and cashew curry from Havelock North
Tofu sausages
Kumara
Crayfish (but only when my lovely neighbour pops by with some he's caught at our beach and kindly 'done the business' to so we can just turn it into Thai curry or whatever- ridiculous price to buy.

and the BEST THING EVER, only discovered last weekend these divine jaffa cakes-a-like, which are way more orange jammy and have a chocolate squidgy biscuit bottom and come in berry and a few other flavours. They are the best biscuits in NZ but I can't remember the name, lol. On special in New World last week in an orange packet.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

I have to admit this, and something you only find in the Auckland area...but I LOVE Wendys....God it is so good!! You cannot beat the burgers. Amazing.
No wonder none of my clothes fit me properly since moving to NZ!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

wilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the rough

Tofu sausages!!! was expecting to exist on a diet of fish (not so bad) and lentils in such a culture of confirmed carnivores, so what a lovely surprise.

Thai scallop and cashew curry....mmmm....
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:48 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilekit
Tofu sausages!!! was expecting to exist on a diet of fish (not so bad) and lentils in such a culture of confirmed carnivores, so what a lovely surprise.

The tofu sausages here are out of this world- sundried tomato or sage and onion or olive- they are divine. No idea how anyone can miss crappy LM veggie sausages in the land of veggie sausage heaven Also, they're really healthy, delicious in pasta, on pizza, wiv mash etc, etc

Also have this weird Tofu luncheon meat in a thick sliceable sausage that I've become rather fond of
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:50 am
---

Originally Posted by NZBee
I have to admit this, and something you only find in the Auckland area...but I LOVE Wendys....God it is so good!! You cannot beat the burgers. Amazing.
No wonder none of my clothes fit me properly since moving to NZ!
Wendy's is alive and selling it's wares here in Hawkes Bay- had a white chocolate and raspberry/ baileys and scorched almond icecream today

Hot dogs there look vile.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilekit

Tofu sausages + a diet of fish + carnivores + Thai scallop and cashew curry = YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK Yuk, yucky, yukky
Old Apr 6th 2008, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

wilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the rough

Tofu sausages + a diet of fish + carnivores + Thai scallop and cashew curry = YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK Yuk, yucky, yukky
totally with you on the whole carnivore end...standing by the tofu sausages, fish and thai curry tho...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

so relieved there's a bit of veg choice...was resigned to making my own lentilburgers or something
Old Apr 6th 2008, 6:01 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Tofu sausages +
erm...dunno 'bout tofu sausages...I'd try 'em though.
a diet of fish +
I'd be OK with that.
carnivores +
I'd get tired if it was beef beef beef...been there done that and man, a carrot never looked so good.
Thai scallop and cashew curry
Interesting. I'm married to a Thai and I lived for a longish spell in Thailand. I asked my wife if she had heard of a Thai scallop and cashew curry. She said no. I've never heard of one either. I'm thinking it must have been something made up for western palates. Good, eh? It sounds OK to me.
= YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK Yuk, yucky, yukky
Geez, girl. You are a particular sort, aren't you?

Old Apr 6th 2008, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Yes i like Anzac biscuits, Arnotts biscuits here are the crispiest i have ever eaten (Butternut Snap , try just eating one, impossible) and Hokey Pokey ice cream is good. Real fruit ice creams.

Any drink made by Bundaberg (yes Oz i know)
Arnotts Shapes !

Kiwi Fish n Chips (try the blue cod or Terakihi).

Anatoth jams , try the Boysenberry !

Virtually all NZ Fruit and Veg is wonderful, Kumara and other root veggies are exotic ! Maori potato bread "Kewana" s interesting too.

My ultra favourite is the NZ soft eating licorice

Montieth's Summer Ale - brilliant ! It frequently sells out it is so good.
NZ wine, Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir are just revelations after you have had French wine lake stuff all your life
We are living in the ME and the thing we miss most from home is the wine. NZ is the best in the world. We were in Bahrain a couple of weekends ago and managed to buy a bottle of Wither Hills Savignon Blanc. It was like nectar of the guys albeit expensive at the equivalent of $100NZD but we didn't care. The other things we miss are decent coffee (our only choices are Starbucks and Gloria Jeans), banana bikes, pineapple lumps, fancy beer (montheiths), marmite (I got my son to bring a jar to Thailand at Xmas), creamed honey, nice cheeses, deli food, sandwich bar food (ham rolls etc), nice bread like Vogels of Burgen, oh God so many things. I was in the UK recently and I must say that the choices there are not a hell of a lot better.

Living away ahs definitely made us appreciate the utpoia NZ is!!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:03 pm
---

Well, you don't eat the carnivores!!!! Is there anything in life you do like?

Originally Posted by happynz
erm...dunno 'bout tofu sausages...I'd try 'em though.
I'd be OK with that.
I'd get tired if it was beef beef beef...been there done that and man, a carrot never looked so good.
Interesting. I'm married to a Thai and I lived for a longish spell in Thailand. I asked my wife if she had heard of a Thai scallop and cashew curry. She said no. I've never heard of one either. I'm thinking it must have been something made up for western palates. Good, eh? It sounds OK to me.
Geez, girl. You are a particular sort, aren't you?

Yeah, I'm sure it's more scallops and cashews in a Thai style sauce, but it is delicious!!! Never been to Thailand- we'd really love to
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Is there anything in life you do like?
a great question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.