British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Yummy NZ foods? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/yummy-nz-foods-526473/)

SarahB Apr 3rd 2008 8:31 am

Yummy NZ foods?

I dont think we've done this one for a while.... what foods, drinks have you had here which you think is really nice? Personally I love the crisps here.... I like my crisps with lots of flavour so they are great for me.

I bought a bottle of ready to drink blackcurrant drink the other day.... it was honestly the best blackcurrant ever IMHO! :D... me and DS drank the whole huge bottle in 24 hours..... ooops! I'll remember the name of it soon :confused:

What foods do you think are yummy? :)

Steve and Julie Apr 3rd 2008 8:37 am

Re: Yummy NZ foods?

In New world the other day I brought Custard and Pecan swirls YUM YUM :D
But my fav is at the bakers Cheesymite Scrolls, I think a trip is on tomoz to the Bakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb sup:

SarahB Apr 3rd 2008 8:41 am

Dont even mention the bakers! lol.... we have one in the village and we are forever there buying their pastries, cakes, tarts, gingerbread men (for DS), fresh bread rolls, pizza bread, pies, sausages, muffins.... I could go on and on..... :eek::D

garryhg Apr 3rd 2008 8:46 am

hi there,been here since last July and I'm still waiting to find anything I can describe as yummy i'm afraid.I seem to be buying the same things week after week,struggle to plan different meals here.I find food shopping expensive and choice is limited.

Just my opinion....Jacky

Woodlea Apr 3rd 2008 8:47 am

Afghans and Anzac biccies, those choccy biccies with Hokey Pokey top covered in chocolate!

Kiwi Fish n Chips.

The Mad Butcher chicken nibbles - just sling em on the barbie, did it yesterday and it's supposed to be nearly winter!!

Pork chops with fat on them!

Big steaks that are tender and taste good.

Bright red tomatoes instead of wishy washy pale ones.

SarahB Apr 3rd 2008 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Woodlea (Post 6151677)

Big steaks that are tender and taste good.

Youve just reminded me of minced beef.... its excellent here. Ive never had to drain any fat from the mince I buy here.

I agree the steaks are good too.... and good value too. My OH would quite happily live on steak if he had to.

Oh, and I just love going to Fruit World... its like heaven for me as I love fresh fruit and veg..... :)

SarahB Apr 3rd 2008 8:57 am

Originally Posted by garryhg (Post 6151667)
hi there,been here since last July and I'm still waiting to find anything I can describe as yummy i'm afraid.I seem to be buying the same things week after week,struggle to plan different meals here.I find food shopping expensive and choice is limited.

Just my opinion....Jacky

Oh, thats a shame Jacky. I do my main shop at PacnSlave but buy fruit from Fruit World on Botany Road and attached to that one is a butchers called Cavendish, an English butcher works there and we've had some really good meat from him.

irnbru14 Apr 3rd 2008 9:07 am

Monteiths Golden
Pineapple Lumps
Tim Tams (ok, their Australian)
Simply Squeezed OJ
L&P & Southern Comfort
NZ Natural Ice Cream - especially the Mango Sorbet

Bo-Jangles Apr 3rd 2008 10:00 am

Originally Posted by SarahB (Post 6151605)

I bought a bottle of ready to drink blackcurrant drink the other day.... it was honestly the best blackcurrant ever IMHO! :D... me and DS drank the whole huge bottle in 24 hours..... ooops! I'll remember the name of it soon :confused:

Was it Thextons? (you need good teeth to say that) :D I like Barkers blackcurrant cordial and their Jams.

My favourite 'new' foods that I didn't eat in the UK because they were either not available or too expensive:

Lamb backstraps (pure fillet of lamb with no fat, grissly bits or bones)
Chicken Snitzels
Arnotts Shapes (cheese ones only)
Lamb Shanks
Corned Beef (not tinned)
Egg & Celery Salad (Foodtown deli counter)
Monteiths Radler
Roasted kumara
Tempura Prawns (frozen ones ready battered)
Sirloin beef roast
Fillet Steaks
Passionfruit with anything (mostly cheesecake) :D
Bakers Delight (everything, all the bread and all the cakes and all the scones and the loyalty cards) :rofl:
Long blacks, with a chocolate fish.
Pesto with everything.
Bacon and Egg paninis
Roasted veg and cheese paninis

Enough already, that's my shopping sorted for this week. :thumbup:

kamburu pat Apr 3rd 2008 2:22 pm

I dont think we've done this one for a while.... what foods, drinks have you had here which you think is really nice? Personally I love the crisps here.... I like my crisps with lots of flavour so they are great for me.

Sarah,
I was just a visitor to see my son in Wellington but he took me to the fresh fish market, friut and Veggie one, Asian and Greek places and then he cooked the stuff he`d bought. I also went to New World and was so impressed by the freshness, the variety. My conclusion was that the food in NZ is fresher and far better quality than in Britain. Another thing was the interesting foods in self service cafes, not just a sandwich, salad or wrap like here.
Pat.

happynz Apr 3rd 2008 4:59 pm

in addition to above...
Feijoa
Kumara mash
karaka berries (big as your thumb!)

brussels_sprout Apr 3rd 2008 5:28 pm

Yes i like Anzac biscuits, Arnotts biscuits here are the crispiest i have ever eaten (Butternut Snap , try just eating one, impossible) and Hokey Pokey ice cream is good. Real fruit ice creams.

Any drink made by Bundaberg (yes Oz i know)
Arnotts Shapes !

Kiwi Fish n Chips (try the blue cod or Terakihi).

Anatoth jams , try the Boysenberry !

Virtually all NZ Fruit and Veg is wonderful, Kumara and other root veggies are exotic ! Maori potato bread "Kewana" s interesting too.

My ultra favourite is the NZ soft eating licorice

Montieth's Summer Ale - brilliant ! It frequently sells out it is so good.
NZ wine, Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir are just revelations after you have had French wine lake stuff all your life

Eastbound Apr 3rd 2008 5:35 pm

Chocolate fish and ..........chocolate fish why cant you get them anywhere else :huh:

crap coffee Apr 3rd 2008 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by irnbru14 (Post 6151779)
Monteiths Golden
Pineapple Lumps
Tim Tams (ok, their Australian)
Simply Squeezed OJ
L&P & Southern Comfort
NZ Natural Ice Cream - especially the Mango Sorbet

Speights Old Dark
Kapiti white chocolate and raspberry Ice cream
Kapiti cheeses "Sliced Swiss"
Tasmanian Brie Cheese (Ok, their Australian)
Kiwi Fish & Chips
far better & Fresh(er) seafoods (Tarakihi) (than in Britian) from deep blue blue sea
Better quality aspects of red meat (minced beef)
Fresh(er) fruits & veggies

ok...stuffs in packages or containers - I consume European :eek:

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 3rd 2008 9:36 pm

Phoenix Organic Ginger Beer (we like Bundaberg too).
Hokey Pokey Ice Cream
Anzac Biscuits (can get them in Sainsbury's)
Apples (they just taste more appley ;))
Fillet Steak
Tarakihi, snapper & yellow fin tuna - wow!
Kumara -mashed or roasted
Choice of Muffins
Flat whites
Persimmons

I could go on....