Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

your thoughts please -home business

your thoughts please -home business

Old Jan 7th 2006, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Question your thoughts please -home business

Hello All,
We are coming to NZ in April & hoping to settle in the Wellington area. I have 2 small children to care for but am considering setting up a home business. I am a fully qualified chef so my first thought was to do a 'Pudding Club' making & selling puddings, including traditional stuff like bread & butter pudding, sponge pudding, spotted dick etc to order. Another thought was to make handmade cards & luxury cushions. How do you guys think these ideas would go down? Any thoughts welcomed, thanks
Old Jan 7th 2006, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: your thoughts please -home business

Originally Posted by poppets
Hello All,
We are coming to NZ in April & hoping to settle in the Wellington area. I have 2 small children to care for but am considering setting up a home business. I am a fully qualified chef so my first thought was to do a 'Pudding Club' making & selling puddings, including traditional stuff like bread & butter pudding, sponge pudding, spotted dick etc to order. Another thought was to make handmade cards & luxury cushions. How do you guys think these ideas would go down? Any thoughts welcomed, thanks
Hi poppets...sorry can't help with NZ but wish you were coming to Houston, as this lot seem to love anything English or European as they call us...good luck with your new venture...yummie love spotted dick with lovely warm custard
Old Jan 7th 2006, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

maybe i'll look into shipping some stuff over there
Old Jan 7th 2006, 5:37 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: your thoughts please -home business

Hello All,
Hi, Kiwis all love to bake, mainly because the shops are so unaffordable in New Zealand. So they already make all their own puddings. I think you would have a tough time selling something so many people make themselves, but at least it would be cheap and low-risk to try out your idea.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 7th 2006, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi, Kiwis all love to bake, mainly because the shops are so unaffordable in New Zealand. So they already make all their own puddings. I think you would have a tough time selling something so many people make themselves, but at least it would be cheap and low-risk to try out your idea.

Cheers

Buzzy

Nothing ventured nothing gained, i suppose, thanks anyway
Old Jan 7th 2006, 6:51 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

because the shops are so unaffordable in New Zealand.
Buzzy
Wow - quite a generalisation and not one I'd agree with.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 6:56 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: your thoughts please -home business

Originally Posted by Biddy
Wow - quite a generalisation and not one I'd agree with.
Yes, a generalization. But in my personal experience, having lived in NZ, and in the opinions of many of the posters on this forum, the Salaries vs Costs in NZ make the shops so unaffordable for many.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 7th 2006, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Hello All,
I think the "Pudding Club" is an excellent idea - I live in Wellington and over the past few years there has been an explosion of quality ready made chilled meals - several brands are attached to quality restaurants - there is a good market for such products in Wellington, especially from the inner-city, apartment dwellers, many of whom are professional people with high incomes who haven't the time to home-bake. I read an article recently about a city butchery which makes quality savoury pies which has had great success.

Handmade cards and cushions would also have a market in Wellington as there are many up-market shops selling such items for both the home and tourist markets.

Of course, the art is also in marketing your product and finding distribution outlets - I'd be happy to help if you want to contact me offline.

There is an expat shop in Taranaki Street, Wellington, "Cool Britannia" - the owner is Claire Blanchfield - sounds like you need to have a conversation with her!
Old Jan 7th 2006, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Yes, a generalization. But in my personal experience, having lived in NZ, and in the opinions of many of the posters on this forum, the Salaries vs Costs in NZ make the shops so unaffordable for many.

Cheers

Buzzy
I would doubt that Poppets is looking to go into mass production and it is often surprising what people will be pay for quality and convenience.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
I think the "Pudding Club" is an excellent idea - I live in Wellington and over the past few years there has been an explosion of quality ready made chilled meals - several brands are attached to quality restaurants - there is a good market for such products in Wellington, especially from the inner-city, apartment dwellers, many of whom are professional people with high incomes who haven't the time to home-bake. I read an article recently about a city butchery which makes quality savoury pies which has had great success.

Handmade cards and cushions would also have a market in Wellington as there are many up-market shops selling such items for both the home and tourist markets.

Of course, the art is also in marketing your product and finding distribution outlets - I'd be happy to help if you want to contact me offline.

There is an expat shop in Taranaki Street, Wellington, "Cool Britannia" - the owner is Claire Blanchfield - sounds like you need to have a conversation with her!
Thanks very much, that's very encouraging will be in touch
Old Jan 7th 2006, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
I would doubt that Poppets is looking to go into mass production and it is often surprising what people will be pay for quality and convenience.

Just looking to make a contribution to the household income & still look after the kids, doesn't have to be a massive business. \thanks to all for advice, very inspiring , cheers
Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:17 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Just looking to make a contribution to the household income & still look after the kids, doesn't have to be a massive business. \thanks to all for advice, very inspiring , cheers
What about dog walking???????