Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

you know when its coming into winter

you know when its coming into winter

Old May 24th 2015, 8:20 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default you know when its coming into winter

when your morning ritual includes having to wipe off all the condensation from the windows and open them all despite it being quite cold - I miss my terraced house with its proper double glazing and gas central heating
Old May 25th 2015, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: you know when its coming into winter

Oh man I feel your pain in every single way!
Old May 25th 2015, 9:17 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

This is my first winter in my new home and I gotta say, I'm impressed with the HRV system that was in here. I have large floor floor to ceiling walls and sliding doors, and no water on them at all. Amazing. Lots of moisture on things outside. Obviously you can't fit them in a rented property. In my last place, which was a flat, I found a dehumidifier worked well to keep the moisture off the windows, although in fairness I did have double glazing as well.
Old May 25th 2015, 9:28 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
This is my first winter in my new home and I gotta say, I'm impressed with the HRV system that was in here. I have large floor floor to ceiling walls and sliding doors, and no water on them at all. Amazing. Lots of moisture on things outside. Obviously you can't fit them in a rented property. In my last place, which was a flat, I found a dehumidifier worked well to keep the moisture off the windows, although in fairness I did have double glazing as well.
We had HRV fitted and as you say no window condensation even on the big sliders and the system dries the air so the heat pump works a lot more efficiently. The big plus peeps forget is in Chch we get big blue skies most of the winter and the strong sun heats up the loft space during the day and the HRV pushes the warm air down past the loft insulation and into the house. We did spoil ourselves and have had an inset log burner fitted as we still have one of the rare Chch chimney stacks still standing and wanted to get a 15 year permit before the CCC take more drastic clean air steps.
Back in the UK we had some condensation on the colder double glazed windows and put piano heaters behind the curtains, they sell in NZ as wardrobe heaters.
Old May 25th 2015, 10:53 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we had double glazing, such as it is over here, put in the bedrooms last year. no where as much condensation as previous but still a blinkin pain to wipe down every morning and wake up to frigid air, not to speak about the cockroaches having to be hoovered up.

not having a good time of it at the moment and hanker after my terraced house with it double glazing, and central heating, shops that sell low fat foods ohh and one shop shopping would be good also.
Old May 26th 2015, 5:05 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Winter in NZ is a bugger isn't it ? I agree with the last two things you mention on your most recent post.

Still, midwinter Christmas at mid year (for those that have it) next month.
Old May 28th 2015, 12:51 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

It's forecast 12C in Chch today but with big blue skies. Earlier this morning outside shade temp was 8C with loft temp of 22C. The HRV pumped the warm air into the house and pushed the temp to 17C.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 11:58 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
when your morning ritual includes having to wipe off all the condensation from the windows and open them all despite it being quite cold - I miss my terraced house with its proper double glazing and gas central heating
I came across this today:

http://www.scoopy.co.nz/

Thought it may be of use if you have lots of moisture on your windows, beats using tea towels
Old Jun 7th 2015, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan

But just think of all that water. You can use that to wash yourself, or you could mix it with the squash etc. I'm sure you know that they did this in the 1960s and they made their kids drink it to save costs.

Also, come 20 years time when every country has moved on. Condensation water is going to be so unique. You could probably flog it off in China at auction for billions. Knowing the water is from New Zealand would add six 0s to it English condensed water of course would be 0 because of the location.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I came across this today:

http://www.scoopy.co.nz/

Thought it may be of use if you have lots of moisture on your windows, beats using tea towels
I have a Kercher thing(i think) already but its the point of having to do it and to be fair its not as much as last year as we had the windows double glazed in the bedroom its just not what I want to be doing first thing in the morning.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Tom H
But just think of all that water. You can use that to wash yourself, or you could mix it with the squash etc. I'm sure you know that they did this in the 1960s and they made their kids drink it to save costs.

Also, come 20 years time when every country has moved on. Condensation water is going to be so unique. You could probably flog it off in China at auction for billions. Knowing the water is from New Zealand would add six 0s to it English condensed water of course would be 0 because of the location.
This made me smile = thank you
Old Jun 8th 2015, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

We put in radiator Central heating, insulation and double glazing, no weepy windows here.
I went to a friends ground floor flat today for coffee, it was freezing, both sat in coats drinking tea. Can't believe it's seen as normal here
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Tom H

You're mentals but I like that.

Bit of truth in there eh?
Old Jun 9th 2015, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You know it's coming into winter when ... you get home from work and you head straight to the wardrobe find more clothes to put on.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
This is my first winter in my new home and I gotta say, I'm impressed with the HRV system that was in here.
We bought our first house here recently (after renting another place for a few years) - the first thing that I had done was putting the HRV system in - no more weeping windows for us.

You know when its coming into winter because the price of strawberries in the supermarket goes through the roof, that's if they have any at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.