British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   You know it's winter when ... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/you-know-its-winter-when-911643/)

Bo-Jangles Apr 13th 2018 10:11 am

You know it's winter when ...

.... people have gone to the extra effort of dressing up and putting on their PJs, dressing gowns and slippers for a trip to the supermarket. :lol:

brits1 Apr 13th 2018 5:59 pm

Re: You know it's winter when ...

Hi, This might sound mad but after a few years of WA Summers I soooooooo looked forward to the Winter time...putting a blanket on our bed, I loved not waking up during the night feeling way to hot ( I hated sleeping with the air con on lol), having the windows open to let the "cool air" (would be a heatwave compared to where I live now lol) breeze through our home.....wearing socks and jeans....it was just a nice change...and also having actual cold water coming out of the cold water tap for a change lol, towards the end of winter though I was looking forward to my flipflops, skirts and t-shirts again lol

MrsFychan Apr 14th 2018 12:03 am

ahh yes the time I can look forward to to possibly not having to look at peoples manky feet when I'm out :o

BEVS Apr 14th 2018 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12480912)
.... people have gone to the extra effort of dressing up and putting on their PJs, dressing gowns and slippers for a trip to the supermarket. :lol:

I know. We see that but sometimes with bare feet.:eek:

I had to have words with husband last week. I caught him turning native. :sneaky:
He had to go to a pharmacy to pick up some meds for himself. upon his return I noted he was wearing his jamas bottoms. They sorta look like shorts I suppose BUT that are jamas ! He tried to wriggle away from the point by stating that no-one noticed.
Well I noticed husband. I noticed and thou shalt not do that again you lazy git. Go get your shorts on !

mikemike Apr 14th 2018 12:59 am

''by stating that no-one noticed.''

just blending in, Kultural adaptation:))

BEVS Apr 14th 2018 3:00 am

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 12481352)
just blending in, Kultural adaptation:))

Which blending might not have worked so well if his jama bottoms had loosened and slid a little to reveal he was, in fact , as one would expect for underneath one's jamas, commando.

brits1 Apr 17th 2018 3:11 pm

I remember seeing my first "shopping in bare feet" we had only been in Aus a few months, it was the middle of summer, I was dropping the boys off at school and had stopped for petrol and a "lady" go out of her huge, shiny newish looking 4 x 4, in her PJ's and walked across the petrol forecourt with bare feet to pay for her diesel...needless to say the floor of the forecourt was full of everything really mucky etc and I remember the colour of the soles of her feet to this day ...they were literally black....I never forgot that and I then never let our boys go barefoot thereafter...lol

LittleGreyCat May 1st 2018 5:44 pm

You know it is winter when it is 4C and pouring with rain.

Hang on, this is the end of April start of May in the UK. Something wrong here......

MrsFychan May 1st 2018 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat (Post 12492539)
You know it is winter when it is 4C and pouring with rain.

Hang on, this is the end of April start of May in the UK. Something wrong here......

April showers, to be expected :nod:

Catchafire May 2nd 2018 1:18 am

You know its Winter in the South Island, when the tradies wear a beanie with their fluoro t-shirts and shorts.

BEVS May 2nd 2018 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 12492742)
You know its Winter in the South Island, when the tradies wear a beanie with their fluoro t-shirts and shorts.

You have seen MrBEVS :eek: