Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Yesterday I found myself unreasonably excited by...

Yesterday I found myself unreasonably excited by...

Old Dec 9th 2013, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

marooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud of
Default Yesterday I found myself unreasonably excited by...

.... a tin of mushy peas. I even skyped my OH to prepare him for the dinner-time thrill!
I never used to get that excited by food - especially mushy peas - in the UK - I guess absence does make the heart grow fonder!
Being in NZ has obviously changed me. I know when we've had visitors from the UK they've been surprised by the shed-like living conditions. I think I've hardened up (or lowered my standards!) and don't find unheated bedrooms or shoddy build standards much of an issue any more.
I wonder how any one else thinks they have changed - better, worse, or just different - by being here?
Old Dec 9th 2013, 7:42 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yesterday I found myself unreasonably excited by...

lol - whatever floats your boat

I think lowering your expectations, not sure standards is how I would put it, is a valid point.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by marooned5
.... a tin of mushy peas. I even skyped my OH to prepare him for the dinner-time thrill!
I never used to get that excited by food - especially mushy peas - in the UK - I guess absence does make the heart grow fonder!
Obviously it is what you get used to and take for granted whilst living in an area / country. Having left NZ some years ago now, I still miss fish and chips, which IMO, was superb and the UK does not even come close to the taste and value!
Old Dec 9th 2013, 8:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You a blue cod person then, not a haddock fan?
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BEVS
You a blue cod person then, not a haddock fan?
Lemon fish.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:14 pm
`

Originally Posted by Charlie Paynter
Lemon fish.
Rig ?
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:37 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Rig, but lemon fish sounds more appealing. Unfortunatly it's popularity is much to blame for the downfall of the Maui Dolphin.

http://www.forestandbird.org.nz/what...hark/lemonfish

The rig fishery is notorious for posing a significant threat to globally threatened Hector’s and Maui’s dolphins, where they have been caught and killed in nets
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:55 pm
`

With ref to the Maui Dolphins , it is one of the causes I make donations to . That is to support the work behind the initiative to have the NZ govt increase the marine park and stop with the netting. The govt response was feeble in the extreme.

As for Nick Smith ? I don't have the words. The barf emot would say much on my views of that one.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:58 pm
`

I suppose, although I am of a mind to have a rant about Nick Smith now.

I will see that tin of Mushy Peas marooned5 and would raise you a controversial Frey Bentos steak and kidney pie.

I saw that once and simply had to have it. It was delicious and I felt I had stumbled on the fast food of the moment .
Old Dec 10th 2013, 1:53 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I got really excited when I found bisto gravy granules in PAC n save.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marooned5
.... a tin of mushy peas. I even skyped my OH
I recently bought a big tub of Twiglets as my contribution to a 'bring something to share' type of soiree. Who was I kidding, the sharing thing was never going to happen.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

It was a box of Alpen that did it for me :-)

Gill
Old Dec 16th 2013, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

A box of soreen sent from England! Yum yum!
Old Dec 17th 2013, 2:12 am
`

Bad thread. Bad, bad thread.

I swung by a pot of Shiphams crab paste and had to have it. Nom.Nom . Nom.

Gone off it again now though.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 4:19 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

The news that hubby is allowed to have a turkey instead of Ham off his work for xmas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.