Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Would New Zealand be boring for *you* if you were in your twenties?

Would New Zealand be boring for *you* if you were in your twenties?

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

RichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of light
Question Would New Zealand be boring for *you* if you were in your twenties?

Yes I'm aware it's a very general question.

Discuss please:sunglasses:.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

yorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Would New Zealand be boring for *you* if you were in your twenties?

Hi

My daughter is 19 and at university in Auckland and she is having a ball. She has just finished her 1st semester here and is currently touring the South Island with 2 other uni friends. Suppose it depends what you are into and where you are going to live.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

My grandson of 19 has just spent a month with us and done all sorts of things while he has been here. However he said he would be glad to get back to NZ where he now feels is home and does not find it boring. He has been there for 5 years.

June
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Skipton, North Yorkshire to Auckland North Shore
Kiteboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I came here originally for a year when I was 21. I did the whole working holiday visa - backpacker trip. I had the time of my life and its the reason I'm here now for good.

For ME personally if I could have I would have come here when i was in my mid 20's. I'm now in my early 30's.

I live a very active lifestyle and there is potentially so much to do here with a lot of it being on your doorstep.

I looked on your profile and saw that your a graphic designer. Lots of jobs in that field here at the moment & I think its on the shortage list too.

Last edited by Kiteboy; Nov 23rd 2011 at 10:47 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:47 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

This is a very broad question about a specific topic.

If drinking RTDs and shouting at people out of car windows (a New Zealand custom) is your thing then New Zealand could be ideal.

On the other hand if your idea of a good time is mingling with sophisticated types or getting into a good career then New Zealand may not be so much for you.

Horses for courses etc.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:04 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you approach travel with an open mind it can help you to discover who you are and what kind of life suits you. For some, like my kiwi brother, it will be the high flying career, high salary, cultural highlights of multicultural London and frequent trips to the continent (so he tells me anyway). For others Australia or NZ might offer a better lifestyle. I know someone who has moved to Hong Kong for a better quality of life (not my choice). I think your 20's are a great decade to explore and learn about yourself and others.

I personally didn't find it boring in my 20's (although to be fair I left at 23). When I left I was planning to come back, but marriage and other commitments meant I stayed longer than planned.

Last edited by jmh; Nov 23rd 2011 at 11:06 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

yorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the rough

Really does depend on where you live, I have never come across any shouting out of car windows !

If you like the great outdoors, then Taupo is the place to be. There is always an event going on here, from Iron man, triathlons, rally car racing, etc. This weekend we have the bike race round the lake and will have 9000 visitors - thats alot of people when the population of Taupo is only 22,500. Its impossible to be bored here and we are so close to the ski fields.

I have 2 younger kids who are into swimming, athletics, soccer, squash, tennis, golf, cricket and triathlon. They are also having sailing lessons. Both of them are counting down the years when they are old enough to do the bungy and skydiving.

Wherever you are going to live, my advice would be to find the clubs around you that you are interested in and make an effort, you will never be short of friends that way.

Good luck
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

RichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the replies all. Really appreciate them!

Kiteboy - thanks. My worry is just finances really. I feel that if I go (which is an almost certainty given the dire situation I'm at in England), I'll have nothing to show for it at the end. On another hand did you stay after your year? Or come back later on? Thanks man.

jmh - thanks. I went to Australia at just turned 21. Used my 2 years visa so now I have no option. In hindsight went too young and really should have used the last year to make solid work connections/save up. Crushing feeling knowing I can't go back unless I chose to be an illegal.

Charismatic - thanks! Laid back approach, ha! But coming to the age now where I (think) have to get a bit serious if you know what I mean. My worry once again is finances, as I'll be starting from scratch.

yorkylass - thanks glad to hear your daughters having fun! Hopefully Uni will be the time of her life. Yeah I'm an active/social person, and it's great to hear there's alot to do in that field (love the running).
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:58 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Again it depends on what type of person you are. But if you are a "neo hippie" then NZ has lots to offer, great laid back lifestyle ie surfing, lots of herbs, outdoors festivals.

If you are a townie, then head for Auckland, lots of Sharon and Tracy types down the Viaduct. The cool people hang out in er....maybe someone could fill that bit in. For chav type entertainment, head to west Auckland.

Wellington, is my favourite city and in my mind has the best night life in terms of live music and bars.

But to be honest, in your 20's, with Europe on your doorstep, I know where I would rather be. By the time I hit my 30's I was all clubbed out and ready to move on. NZ proved to be the perfect place.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 12:40 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, so I left, along with thousands of my contemporaries.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Yes, so I left, along with thousands of my contemporaries.
Discuss please
Old Nov 24th 2011, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

old dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RichP
Yes I'm aware it's a very general question.

Discuss please:sunglasses:.
Yes, I'm struggling with it right now and I'm in my late thirties. It's a beautiful and place and I have no doubt that coming here was the right thing to do for the family - but it feels a little like a weekend in the country that never ends and I'm just hanging out for some sparkle and buzz. It would be nice to head on over to Melbourne or Sidney for a long weekend and that would probably scratch the itch however, cost makes that a distant dream at the moment. Day to day I'm happy enough - but week in week out I find it hard going.

We've lived in a lot of different countries and I struggle to put my finger on it with regard to where we currently are because it's so fantastic. I think it's because here in Tauranga it's very low wage economy with perhaps a disproportionate amount of disposable income being in the hands of much older people.

With the majority of the 20 and 30s being flat broke or struggling there is very little balance, and an evening out on the strand can feel much like a saga holiday advert - and I'm only just coming to terms with the fact I'm officially too old for a club 18-30!

When we do go out for a meal - the restaurants, cafes and bars are all fantastic but almost never even half full. It's actually quite depressing to be one of only 2 or 3 tables occupied.

Our oldest son is planning university in Oz and won't come back here to live until his 40s (his current plan!) and as a couple, we plan to move back over to Asia the moment the youngest is off to uni and perhaps we'll come back in our 50s/60s.

Sorry for such a random explanation - it's difficult to articulate, especially speaking as someone who loves riding horses, kayaking and just being outside. My husband is pulling his hair out. He wouldn't move by the way, but he was always a sensible old fart - even as a kid!
Old Nov 24th 2011, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Yes! It would also be boring if you were in your eighties. Discuss later.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

whitesand - Tbh, the overwhelming majority on here seem displeased with New Zealand.

old dragon - thanks for the reply and genuine insight! You ever lived in Aus? I lived in both Sydney & Melb. Can't help feel that I'm forever going to be comparing. This is such a dilemma for me at the moment. *sigh*
Old Nov 24th 2011, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

My son arrived age 17 and left 2 years ago the moment he finished school,
He's been back once and really finds it boring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.