Is it worthwhile?

Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Mitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it worthwhile?

Hi All

Well, I’m a newbie on here and firstly let me say that it’s been really interesting/useful for me to read through some of the posts, certainly given me food for thought. Anyway, on with my first post…..

I’ve been contemplating getting the hell out of the UK for a while now. Whether it’s a case of being totally disillusioned by the country or just needing to move out of Stockport <sob> (not that I mean to offend anyone who likes the place!) and not going abroad I’ve yet to figure out for myself. A change of scenery is definitely required and I kinda feel that life is too short to be stuck in one place for its entirety. I’ve been considering OZ and NZ for a while and know a couple of people who’ve made the move, to OZ at least, and are very happy a year or so down the line. Having been delving into this forum though, I get the idea that most people end up dissatisfied with emigrating which is certainly making me reconsider the idea of moving abroad.

I’m certainly not someone who takes the easy route through life, having packed in a high paying job for half the income and a better quality of life once already, that aspect doesn’t scare me. I guess my question is, having seen and understood all the negative and difficult aspects of emigrating mentioned on here, is there anyone on here who actually considers it to have been a worthwhile thing to do!
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:54 am
isv
Forum Regular

isv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is it worthwhile?

Well I certainly don't believe that most people end up dissatisfied. Only a very small percentage of NZ migrants bother coming on to forums like this. I know many people in NZ having a great time who *never* come here - why would they?

I think it all comes down to expectations. Dissatisfaction always stems from a failure to reach expected outcomes. Be realistic in what you expect - prepare for the worst and then seek to improve on it.

Alan.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by isv
Dissatisfaction always stems from a failure to reach expected outcomes. Be realistic in what you expect - prepare for the worst and then seek to improve on it.
Wise words indeed!

I'm in research mode at the moment and before I even consider a move abroad I'm finding it really useful to hear other peoples experiences good or bad, I'm just getting the impression that the bad ones outweigh the good! It's all interesting reading though
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:36 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitz
Wise words indeed!

I'm in research mode at the moment and before I even consider a move abroad I'm finding it really useful to hear other peoples experiences good or bad, I'm just getting the impression that the bad ones outweigh the good! It's all interesting reading though
Mitz,

I would agree with ISV in that there will be lots of happy migrants, but they don't hang out on expat forums.

However, it's also worth knowing that last year, 191 000 Brits left the UK to start a new life overseas. 105 000 Brits returned home in the same year.

So personally, I think success depends on your expectations, having sufficient funds to take you through potential disasters such as losing your job or getting home to see a sick rellie, keeping good health, luck in falling on your feet/meeting a good bunch of people/finding a nice area to live etc and reasons for the change.

If nothing else it's an adventure, and if you believe that you only live once and have a 'no regrets' philosophy then that's all part of your life experiences and memories. The worst thing is to look back on something and think 'if only'.

There is also a belief that unhappy rich migrants don't exist, ie lots of unhappiness is money related - but I suppose that could be said of anywhere, homeland or not since it is the key driver in arguments leading to divorce apparantly.

And on that happy note, I wish you well as I'm off to make lunch! May also phone hubbie quickly .
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:37 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Hi welcome to the Forum

Isn't it a case of weighing things up?.......
how badly are you fed up with the UK Vs How much aggravation involved?

My personal take on it is that i have lived in the same place for 45 years.....do i really have to commit myself to living permanently anywhere else?

We are aiming to go when my Son has finished school (in 2 years) and i am viewing the trip as a 2-3 year working Holiday when i get there........hell if its nice we may stay longer.....or go to OZ / Fiji or someplace else........takes the pressure off i think.

We are also tryin g to leave a back door......buying a house and letting it might be the answer for us
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Just wanted to add my bit to this. Now I know that I have moaned about certain problems we have come across in the Uk but I would just like to say that I have not regretted our time here. It was a very hard decision for us to leave NZ and try living in England with 3 very active, sporty boys but it has worked. I really do believe that if we hadn't come we would have regretted it a an opportunity missed and regrets are just a waste of time.
We have seen loads of Europe and opened the boys eyes to all the fantastic history and art that is not available in NZ. Italy has got to go down as a favourite for us all.
Now though we feel that it is time for us to leave the Uk and return home (hopefully end of the year). There are things and friends that we will miss about the UK and things that we will not miss at all, just as there as things that we miss about NZ and things that we do not miss at all.
I feel that life is far to short to stay in one place forever, it should be about the people we meet, the places we see, the experiences we have and of course the wine we drink.
Good luck with your decision.
KAZ
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
I feel that life is far to short to stay in one place forever, it should be about the people we meet, the places we see, the experiences we have and of course the wine we drink.
KAZ
That’s exactly how I feel (especially about the wine of course ) My life so far has been increasingly more about experiencing things rather than accruing material wealth and possessions. I’m actually beginning to find that the more changes I make to my life the more changes I want to make…..kind of addictive….which is just crazy, someone section me already!! That’s not to say that you shouldn’t be prepared and at least semi aware of what you’re getting yourself into!
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Isn't it a case of weighing things up?.......
how badly are you fed up with the UK Vs How much aggravation involved?
Yup, that's the thought processes I'm going through at the moment. It's kinda interesting to do some proper soul searching and also can be difficult to get to the real reasons with regards to what exactly it is about my life that makes me want to change it, apart from where I'm currently living that is !
Old Aug 13th 2005, 9:21 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't imagine never having left the country I was born in. I've lived in Holland and England apart from Ireland of course, and now New Zealand. I know there are millions and millions of peole who quite happily live their whole lives in one area but not me thanks. It's limiting, living in only one country and never seeing how other countries work and live. You don't say how old you are but if there's nothing keeping you where you are, go for it. At least you'll have stories to tell your grandkids That's the way I've always looked at my adventures.