Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Old May 17th 2005, 10:02 pm
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Originally Posted by Biddy
I'd give you my opinion but I've not been there yet - however I have nothing but positive thoughts about it!
Good luck with the studies! Hey shouldn't you be out drinking and running over cars and getting your arse out?
...and stealing traffic cones and vomiting into policemen's helmets?
Old May 17th 2005, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Biddy
There's a loaded question if ever I've heard one! Prepare yourself for plenty of useful information!
OK, OK - its driving me nuts - can someone please tell me, I know I am stupid, how on earth I get a picture under my name (ie like your chilli) - and how do I change my name??????? Its driving me crazy/ I have to go out now - but if someone could PM me with this info I would really really grateful - and how to post photos on here as mine always come up as being too large??????
Old May 17th 2005, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future

anyone else with opinions on NZ?

tottefan.
Old May 18th 2005, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 80s Chick
...and stealing traffic cones and vomiting into policemen's helmets?
Thanks to all of you have PM'd me with instructions - I will give it a go just as soon as I get 5 minutes to myself to sit here and do it - off out again now after being out ALL day. I have a mate who is moving to UK for 2 years so been helping her pack etc today and now out to say goodbye tonight, but won't b late so may have a go later. Thanks heaps again to all of you.
Old May 18th 2005, 10:50 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tottefan
anyone else with opinions on NZ?

tottefan.
Hi Tottefan,

I haven't ever lived in NZ, so I know I can't comment on that aspect of NZ life, but I am married to a kiwi and have visited several times firstly when my hubbie was at Auckland uni (ie tested the student scene), and latterly to visit his family and friends.

The 3 things I love about NZ from my experience are - the sunshine, the feeling of space and the people. Not to mention some breath taking scenery -although you can get some good scenery in parts of the UK. (I'm originally from the Lake District - love it there, and my husband says it reminds him of home. He's from the North Island - North Shore.)

Personally I'm not a massive fan of Auckland city although some of the residential suburbs are lovely, and it still doesn't feel anywhere near as crowded or dirty too me as parts of London do - I admit this is probably just the parts I've seen in case I upset anyone. And actually must also have something to do with age as some of our buildings look so dirty, despite them being architecturally beautiful. shame.

Personally, I have always been made to feel very welcome during my visits to NZ. What also struck me the last time I visited was the relative politeness and maturity of the teenagers - eg the 15/16 year old Saturday check out girls at the supermarkets. Has anyone else noticed this? This is of course a comparison with what I see here in England, but before anyone thinks I've got my rosy specs on, I know this cannot be true for all areas of NZ, just as I am aware that the UK also has its own good and bad points to offer.

I also really liked the kiwi's general attitude to life in terms of what really is important. Sunshine does help of course! And the restaurant food and wine are great. Chilled Cloudy Bay on a balmy Summer's Eve...

It did also strike me pretty quickly thoguh on my 1st visit just how very very far away it is .......... we're going to try the 29 hour journey with our 5 and will then be 4 year olds for Xmas this year. Kind thoughts please. Am a bit nervous!

Great reading on this forum, love it.
Old May 18th 2005, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hi Tottefan,

I haven't ever lived in NZ, so I know I can't comment on that aspect of NZ life, but I am married to a kiwi and have visited several times firstly when my hubbie was at Auckland uni (ie tested the student scene), and latterly to visit his family and friends.

The 3 things I love about NZ from my experience are - the sunshine, the feeling of space and the people. Not to mention some breath taking scenery -although you can get some good scenery in parts of the UK. (I'm originally from the Lake District - love it there, and my husband says it reminds him of home. He's from the North Island - North Shore.)

Personally I'm not a massive fan of Auckland city although some of the residential suburbs are lovely, and it still doesn't feel anywhere near as crowded or dirty too me as parts of London do - I admit this is probably just the parts I've seen in case I upset anyone. And actually must also have something to do with age as some of our buildings look so dirty, despite them being architecturally beautiful. shame.

Personally, I have always been made to feel very welcome during my visits to NZ. What also struck me the last time I visited was the relative politeness and maturity of the teenagers - eg the 15/16 year old Saturday check out girls at the supermarkets. Has anyone else noticed this? This is of course a comparison with what I see here in England, but before anyone thinks I've got my rosy specs on, I know this cannot be true for all areas of NZ, just as I am aware that the UK also has its own good and bad points to offer.

I also really liked the kiwi's general attitude to life in terms of what really is important. Sunshine does help of course! And the restaurant food and wine are great. Chilled Cloudy Bay on a balmy Summer's Eve...

It did also strike me pretty quickly thoguh on my 1st visit just how very very far away it is .......... we're going to try the 29 hour journey with our 5 and will then be 4 year olds for Xmas this year. Kind thoughts please. Am a bit nervous!

Great reading on this forum, love it.

Bizarre, I am married to a Kiwi, from the North Shore who studied at Auckland Uni, I also have a 5 year old (and a 1 year old) and are due to go out to N.Z at Christmas (although dithering because of the travel)! I prefer a chilled glass of Marlborough though!

Tottefan - N.Z is great, a really healthy place to live, fantastic nightlife, great beaches, scenery, people, food and wine. I loved living in Auckland it felt like a very safe and vibrant city.

Good Luck!
Old May 18th 2005, 12:27 pm

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ginaf
Bizarre, I am married to a Kiwi, from the North Shore who studied at Auckland Uni, I also have a 5 year old (and a 1 year old) and are due to go out to N.Z at Christmas (although dithering because of the travel)! I prefer a chilled glass of Marlborough though!

Tottefan - N.Z is great, a really healthy place to live, fantastic nightlife, great beaches, scenery, people, food and wine. I loved living in Auckland it felt like a very safe and vibrant city.

Good Luck!
Hi Gina,

Uncanny! Would you like to join us for a plane party? I completely understand your concerns. The plane journey is bad enough, but then there's also the jet lag! I am also very excited though, it's been a while, its the children's 1st time, and we're ready for a 'big' family adventure.

I'm curious about your husband, did he go to Rangitoto College? My husband left in 1989 and went to Uni (Varsity!) in 91 after a gap year in the UK which is where we met. There have been a few of his friends come and go over here, curiously only one hasn't gone back so far I think. Something to do with having lots of fun in Europe and taking lots of GBP and a passport home! Not really sure I understand about the latter, but it seems to be a popular move.

Gina - any plans to move back? And where in Auckland did you live?
Old May 18th 2005, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hi Gina,

Uncanny! Would you like to join us for a plane party? I completely understand your concerns. The plane journey is bad enough, but then there's also the jet lag! I am also very excited though, it's been a while, its the children's 1st time, and we're ready for a 'big' family adventure.

I'm curious about your husband, did he go to Rangitoto College? My husband left in 1989 and went to Uni (Varsity!) in 91 after a gap year in the UK which is where we met. There have been a few of his friends come and go over here, curiously only one hasn't gone back so far I think. Something to do with having lots of fun in Europe and taking lots of GBP and a passport home! Not really sure I understand about the latter, but it seems to be a popular move.

Gina - any plans to move back? And where in Auckland did you live?
To be honest I can't remember where he went to school, Rangitoto college does ring a bell, I know he grew up in Browns Bay and then Mairangi Bay and the I.L's are now in Castor Bay. He is 34 now and I know he started uni at 17 so that would have been 1987-88 but he stayed on to do a masters there and did some tutoring at the uni (Economics) at the same time so he would have been there when your husband was.

We were very lucky and lived on Princes Wharf in the city. We were only there for a year as a sort of working holiday. At the time I didn't mind leaving but now I have 2 children I would love to live there. My husband is adamant he does not want to go back as in the area he works in there is very little opportunity in N.Z, I hate it in the U.K probably partly due to seeing what a good life we could lead in N.Z and so we are in the process of applying to move to Canada (Toronto) as hopefully a good compromise for us all.

If you like a nice white wine and can get the grandparents to babysit there is a fantastic new Vineyard on Waiheke called "Te Whau", you've got to book early but ask for a table outside and you should have one of the most memorable meals with a truly breathtaking view and great white wine!
Old May 18th 2005, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by ginaf
To be honest I can't remember where he went to school, Rangitoto college does ring a bell, I know he grew up in Browns Bay and then Mairangi Bay and the I.L's are now in Castor Bay. He is 34 now and I know he started uni at 17 so that would have been 1987-88 but he stayed on to do a masters there and did some tutoring at the uni (Economics) at the same time so he would have been there when your husband was.

We were very lucky and lived on Princes Wharf in the city. We were only there for a year as a sort of working holiday. At the time I didn't mind leaving but now I have 2 children I would love to live there. My husband is adamant he does not want to go back as in the area he works in there is very little opportunity in N.Z, I hate it in the U.K probably partly due to seeing what a good life we could lead in N.Z and so we are in the process of applying to move to Canada (Toronto) as hopefully a good compromise for us all.

If you like a nice white wine and can get the grandparents to babysit there is a fantastic new Vineyard on Waiheke called "Te Whau", you've got to book early but ask for a table outside and you should have one of the most memorable meals with a truly breathtaking view and great white wine!
OMG - my husband lived in Brown's Bay! His mum now lives in Waiake which is where we'll stay at Xmas. Interested in the vineyard as last time we were there we went to a place thats sounds like the one you described - had some yummy olives with the wine - but it was 8 years ago. Do you think it's a different one? Would love to go either way. Off on the school run & ballet classes now - will mail more later - Carmen.