Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

worst thing we have ever done!

worst thing we have ever done!

Old Apr 9th 2006, 10:24 am
livewire

Default Re: worst thing we have ever done!

Tosh!

How on earth can you make that assumption based on the few words that he has made on this thread.

If someone is having a hard time of it and is feeling let down and disappointed by their experience of NZ then it bound to come out as anger and frustration, at least there is a bit of humour in there too.

I would imagine that quite a few people go through this stage at sometime or other in their emigration process - it usually starts when the rose tinted come off for the first time and the "honeymoon phase" ends.

This is a recognised phase of culture shock known as the "rejection phase" some people get through it and some fall at this hurdle.

Please people, try not to be judgemental and try to have some compassion.

Last edited by livewire; Apr 9th 2006 at 10:26 am.

Old Apr 9th 2006, 10:29 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

- i do wonder where they filmed the 100% NZ tourism video? no houses to be seen just greenery and rivers etc - must have been the south island eh?!or maybe they went to scotland to film it!

I would agree with others here that you should try another part of NZ. We lived in Christchurch for a year and i can tell you that the surrounding scenery is fantastic (bear in mind i have been to BC in Canada and Alaska) and is some of the best i have seen. Sorry i can't comment on Auckland as we only landed there. Give South Island a go you may like it. Queens town is amazing also. The left turn thing in driving is strange but you get used to it. The houses without insulation is a worry but that can be sorted out. Now as a kid i grew up in a house with just a coal fire, the rest of the house was cold. NZ is just a few year behind us as we were behind the USA etc. I don't rate NZ as a 3rd world country, it's just a smaller population and economy. We live in Newcastle and are really thinking of going back for good due to the slower and better pace of life. Our two kids prefer it there and want to go back bad. Homesickness is a horrible thing and treats us all different. Until you try moving you will never know how it feels. Plenty of different languages here now (Newcastle), who knows the Geordie lingo may disappear (i think it has changed over the years) in a few decades. If you come back you will be shocked how crowded it is here and the roads are small too. Best of luck to what you decide to do.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 10:33 am
livewire

and that would be called the fifth stage of culture shock.

http://international.ouc.bc.ca/cultu...k/printext.htm

Edited to say

Oo-er, just realised I'm at the 4th stage

Last edited by livewire; Apr 9th 2006 at 10:35 am.

Old Apr 9th 2006, 10:49 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livewire
and that would be called the fifth stage of culture shock.

http://international.ouc.bc.ca/cultu...k/printext.htm

Edited to say

Oo-er, just realised I'm at the 4th stage
I think I am there too!
Sue
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livewire
Tosh!

How on earth can you make that assumption based on the few words that he has made on this thread.

If someone is having a hard time of it and is feeling let down and disappointed by their experience of NZ then it bound to come out as anger and frustration, at least there is a bit of humour in there too.

I would imagine that quite a few people go through this stage at sometime or other in their emigration process - it usually starts when the rose tinted come off for the first time and the "honeymoon phase" ends.

This is a recognised phase of culture shock known as the "rejection phase" some people get through it and some fall at this hurdle.

Please people, try not to be judgemental and try to have some compassion.

Well said Livewire.... I remember someone on this forum telling me about Culture Shock.... I hadnt really thought about it up until that point. I read the article and realised that I was feeling just as it said I would. I have felt so many emotions/feelings since being in NZ... until you move you dont know how you will feel.... furthest away Id ever been from home was Turkey for one week.

Good luck Fiona in whatever you choose to do.

SarahB
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future

What a stupid, pointless thread ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

If you have an opinion on something, it can be expressed in a tactful way.

Tottefan.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:27 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
The non-English speaking communities are huge (esp in Auckland) this doesn't mean they can't co-exist with English speaking, and if they rely on their children to help then this isn't necessarily a bad thing - just a different way of doing things.
It is a bad thing. It keeps the parents dependent, and the children's social development limited as they shoulder the burden of responsibilty for dealing with the family's affairs, rather than just being allowed to be kids. No child should ever be put in that type of situation. In a long term scenario it could even be technically classified as abuse. The parent and child in effect swap roles. Additionally some adult matters should not be placed in the concious mind of children.

The parent's social development and self esteem is affected and they are far far less likely to intergrate to the point of feeling that this is their home. In worst case scenarios (as I have pointed out before) this can lead to the development of 'ghetto' style areas in the metro area and the child feeling bound to carry out the parents wishes/demands even into adulthood.

Being PC or warm and fuzzy doesn't make things all suddenly marvellous and okay.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:35 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annaerb
the Maori Language really has no other use other than NZ.
It's similar to learning Welsh or Gaelic: something peopel do out of interest adn wanting to connect on a level with their heritage or to understand the heritage of another group more. As such it should never be compulsory in schools but always an optional subject. But then so too should more practical second languages. Choosing a second language to learn should be up to the student, after all doctors and pharmacists no longer write prescriptions in Latin !
Old Apr 9th 2006, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

fiona i is on a distinguished road

so what are you doing on a "British expats" website nice guy?
Old Apr 9th 2006, 10:22 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

*pulls up a chair and orders pizza*
Old Apr 9th 2006, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

nz100 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: worst thing we have ever done!

As many people here have said, you really should have done your research before you came especially if you brought kids with you. Very naive to think your life here would the same as the tourist brochure. No country in the world is ever like that. And how extremely racist. What makes you a better or more acceptable immigrant just because you are white and happen to speak English. I'd much rather have non-English speaking immigrants who actually enjoy living here, than English people who are whinging about their life here simply because they were so naive and didn't do their research. If it's that bad, go home now. We'll happily survive without you and it will be one less car on our roads.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 10:37 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nz100
As many people here have said, you really should have done your research before you came especially if you brought kids with you. Very naive to think your life here would the same as the tourist brochure. No country in the world is ever like that. And how extremely racist. What makes you a better or more acceptable immigrant just because you are white and happen to speak English. I'd much rather have non-English speaking immigrants who actually enjoy living here, than English people who are whinging about their life here simply because they were so naive and didn't do their research. If it's that bad, go home now. We'll happily survive without you and it will be one less car on our roads.
lol - be brave! Come out from behind your newly created account and use your main forum name!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

nz100 will become famous soon enough

Lol, I'll put a name on when I think of a good one. Forgive me for my directness previously. Perhaps that wasn't a good way to start as a new member here

But I've just been seeing a lot of complaints about living in NZ on various forums recently. I appreciate that NZ isn't for everyone, but pretty much all of them are from people who just haven't done their research beforehand. If they had they wouldn't be here, or would at least be living in a different area of the country. Makes me soooo mad I have now declared it my goal in life to ensure all would-be immigrants do their research and don't expect to come to NZ (or anywhere for that matter) and live the tourist brochure idyll. Real life just isn't like that!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

dunedindan will become famous soon enoughdunedindan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nz100
Lol, I'll put a name on when I think of a good one. Forgive me for my directness previously. Perhaps that wasn't a good way to start as a new member here

But I've just been seeing a lot of complaints about living in NZ on various forums recently. I appreciate that NZ isn't for everyone, but pretty much all of them are from people who just haven't done their research beforehand. If they had they wouldn't be here, or would at least be living in a different area of the country. Makes me soooo mad I have now declared it my goal in life to ensure all would-be immigrants do their research and don't expect to come to NZ (or anywhere for that matter) and live the tourist brochure idyll. Real life just isn't like that!
here here, think people should at least make the effort to visit were they intend to spend there lives before committing to such a big move i for 1 am glad we spent the money on visiting nz before coming as we originally planned to move to one of the larger cities(christchurch) but on seeing them decided we wanted something just a little bit quieter
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fiona i
so what are you doing on a "British expats" website nice guy?
Huh?

Cannot see what that got to do with the price of fish?

But to answer your question………I am a British Expat.

Quid pro quo, how old are you Barry?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.