Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The worst 9 months of my life in NZ

The worst 9 months of my life in NZ

Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The worst 9 months of my life in NZ

Originally Posted by GS.83
It seems you have certainly had an unfortunate time, however, outwith the earthquake, surely any of the above could have happened in the UK, or to a Kiwi moving to the UK. In fact being in NZ means that you missed the rioting.
You probably didn't have the house on the beach with the swimming pool back home either.

We are moving over in November and looking forward to it, and despite your thread being an attempt at putting people off of the country, I am trying to avoid that happening.
I have heard reports from friends over NZ at the moment and none of this has happened to any of them so my feeling is that you have perhaps been unfortunate and although I can understand that this may put you off the country, this wouldn't be the same for everyone.

I realise at time it will be testing and won't be a trouble-free paradise I am confident it will be a better lifestyle than much of the UK at present. You say that you need ' a lot of luck', it seems to me that you have had none at all.

I hope things pick up for you and you go on to enjoy the life that you moved for, fingers crossed things work out for us.....and in the meantime enjoy the beautiful house on the beach with the swimming pool, I would give my right arm for that just now.
I m certainly NOT attempting to put anyone off NEW Zealand GS ,,In fact I feel NZ needs more professional people here to help their economy , ,
I am, in my short time here giving a frank view of how I feel,and what I ve experienced ,,
Is that not what the forum is for GS !!!
I DO realise how lucky I am for living by the beach and having a swimming pool, Alot of hard work was done in achieving those pleasures by the way BUT not all monetary things bring happiness

I hope my next thread will be more positive :
I stated that if I had read this thread before coming it would not of put me off..However
I know alot of ex pats whom would never think about returning BUT also others whos marriage has ended due to the pressures of emigrating
Some are returning because of the earthquakes,
Some due to the high cost of living and low wages ,
Some because they miss family and the realization of what they had in the UK was not that bad !!!
I really hope GS you have a more positive time in New Zealand ,
I ll be interested to read about you in 9 months !!!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:08 am
Just Joined

geordielasstoo is an unknown quantity at this point

We are basing our decision on where to live on the schools and as such I was very interested in your comments about schooling down there. Which school have your children been attending?

I have visited quite a few schools down there and we are currently undecided between Ilam School (known for its programme of extending children) or a country one over in Lyttelton. After lived in Tauranga and being so used to the close proximity of water I'm not sure about living in town but on the other hand we are keen to find a good school for our children.

I'd be interested in any feedback you have on schools down there and hope that you manage to find something more suitable for your family soon.[/QUOTE]

We have been here nearly 6mths in Chch and both of my kids are doing really well at school. They are 9 & 13 and go to Cashmere Primary & High schools. They were doing well in the UK and I was concerned about the effect the move here would have but they've taken it in their stride. I think it depends on the child ability as well as the schools rating. I would recommend both schools. We looked at Lyttleton as well and a lot of kids from round that way tend to move onto Cashmere High after the primary ones in the bays round there. Mt oldest has friends who live round that way and they have a school bus that does the rounds to take them to Cashmere High.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
OP: I feel your pain. Emigrating is tough and what surprised me (and still does) is just how long "the process" can take. I think before I came out here I imagined feeling homesick and a bit unsettled for a year or so. I totally underestimated the potential severity and duration of culture shock. I suspect you are experiencing this, compounded by having had a bad run of luck. The reason I think this is because some of your former posts about life in NZ were very upbeat and chipper. Have a look at this page and see what you think: http://www.lossesintranslation.com/s...mmigration.php or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_shock

Emigrating is bloody tough, even without earthquakes and all the 'issues' you adn your family have experienced. Sorry for your troubles, hope in time you find a bit more peace, wherever that may be!

I'm not going to pick through your list of issues, I'm only going to comment on the education system here because that's something I know a good deal about and frequently see confusion about. When you move kids over from the UK it may appear the NZ system is 'behind', whereas in reality the focus and approach is different. This would never be a problem if your kids were born and raised here because when you look at international education measures NZ outperforms Britain http://www.pisa.oecd.org/dataoecd/54/12/46643496.pdf
Thanks Bourbon-Biscuit that was really helpful I gave it to my partner to read,,, Put a lot of my feelings in perspective ,, I really hope I get though this and can become more positive about living in NZ l
Old Sep 11th 2011, 5:55 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7
I m certainly NOT attempting to put anyone off NEW Zealand GS ,,In fact I feel NZ needs more professional people here to help their economy , ,
I am, in my short time here giving a frank view of how I feel,and what I ve experienced ,,
I DO realise how lucky I am for living by the beach and having a swimming pool, Alot of hard work was done in achieving those pleasures by the way BUT not all monetary things bring happiness

I stated that if I had read this thread before coming it would not of put me off..However
I know alot of ex pats whom would never think about returning BUT also others whos marriage has ended due to the pressures of emigrating
Some because they miss family and the realization of what they had in the UK was not that bad !!!
Me too, opinions often change after the honeymoon period wears off.

Half of Australia lives by the beach and has a swimming pool, it's so passe and taken very much for granted. So I know it's not the be all and end all, there's a lot more to life than the material things.

Good luck to you, it will come right for you I'm sure it will.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Me too, opinions often change after the honeymoon period wears off.

Half of Australia lives by the beach and has a swimming pool, it's so passe and taken very much for granted. So I know it's not the be all and end all, there's a lot more to life than the material things.

Good luck to you, it will come right for you I'm sure it will.
And a vast number of us over here rarely see the beach and still dream of access to a swimming pool that isn't filled with tribes of school children.
Wherever you are life is definitely about far more than the material stuff, its far more about peace of mind and feeling settled somewhere.......
Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

GS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Obviously it touched a raw nerve and made you think of something other than the big house and the swimming pool. Why is it that sharing bad experiences and telling it like it is, is seen as an attempt at putting people off the country?
No not at all, I realise it is not all about that. I have a lot of sympathy for the OP, I was just pointing out that these problems could have occurred anywhere and the UK has its problems of its own.
Knowing people in NZ who have never experienced these problems I would say that this situation is not the norm and there were no mentions of any positive experiences in the OP.

I know it will not be all about nice houses with swimming pools as I will be unlikely to live that life anyway, but I also know that it will not all be about crime, bullying bosses etc..... everywhere has its ups and downs and I don't expect NZ to be any different.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

GS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant future

Apologies for the context in which you have taken my post and in which I way I must have written it. I suppose my comment in putting people off the country was due to it being purely a negative post when I was thinking surely there must have been some positives in there.

I'm sorry things haven't worked out the way you wanted and it does seem that you have had a very unfortunate time, I would just hope that your experience is not the general experience people have of NZ. I am prepared for ups and downs but not prepared for downs, downs and downs which concerns me slightly.

I really do hope things will pick up for you and I am sorry that I cannot offer more advice, I suppose that my situation will be different as moving over to work and take it one step at a time, rather than giving up my whole life in UK, having to sell a house etc and making the move permanently, with the decision I would never return. For that reason I suppose I may have been slightly ignorant in my views.

I will be more than happy to share my experiences in 9 months time and hopefully it will be positive, one thing is for sure, it will be different from my last 9 months, and I can only echo what you in that I hope your next thread will start out more positively
Old Sep 11th 2011, 10:03 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

......I was just pointing out that these problems could have occurred anywhere and the UK has its problems of its own.
Knowing people in NZ who have never experienced these problems I would say that this situation is not the norm . .....
Fully agree that Europe and the UK are going to be tough places to live in the next while. Talking to friends this afternoon, one an expat Swede and the other a Kiwi we thought that NZ should be a better spot for our kids over the next decade.
However, the fact people you know in NZ are still here means that their experiences, whilst valid, are not an entirely fair representation of the situation here for all people moving here from the UK. Many people I know have come and gone even in the best of times when the pound was high, they had cash and there was plenty of work in NZ.
If I were you I'd be thanking the OP for their opinions as they represent the other possible outcomes.
Way back 5 or 6 years ago, part of me wanted to shut the "negative" posters up as their experiences and views went against the "happy clappy" view that was so appealing and affirmed our decision to bring our young family to NZ. However, with hindsight, I am really glad of the debate on this board.

I for one have encountered several of the issues that the OP mentions. I know many other people who report similar things, very poor management, blatant racism (involving Pomms, islanders, Maori, "asians", etc, etc) along with a resistance to accept and embrace new ideas.

However, there are ways to overcome some of these problems, particularly the workplace ones - as it's so easy to set up your own business here. That's what I had to do.

Anyway I wish both you and the OP all the best and that your adventures in NZ work out happily.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Apologies for the context in which you have taken my post and in which I way I must have written it. I suppose my comment in putting people off the country was due to it being purely a negative post when I was thinking surely there must have been some positives in there.

I'm sorry things haven't worked out the way you wanted and it does seem that you have had a very unfortunate time, I would just hope that your experience is not the general experience people have of NZ. I am prepared for ups and downs but not prepared for downs, downs and downs which concerns me slightly.

I really do hope things will pick up for you and I am sorry that I cannot offer more advice, I suppose that my situation will be different as moving over to work and take it one step at a time, rather than giving up my whole life in UK, having to sell a house etc and making the move permanently, with the decision I would never return. For that reason I suppose I may have been slightly ignorant in my views.

I will be more than happy to share my experiences in 9 months time and hopefully it will be positive, one thing is for sure, it will be different from my last 9 months, and I can only echo what you in that I hope your next thread will start out more positively
Thank you GS,,
I wrote this thread the day my handbag was stolen and car was vandalized and to me it was like a smack again in the face,,
I have now calmed down,,
Looking back honestly and talking to my friends we have experienced alot of bad luck since arriving,, However I have now found a better job with a more professional organization,, My partner has also settled with a reputable engineering company . My kids DO love it here::
Yes,, it has been the hardest time of my life adjusting and having to cope with our personal experiences of New Zealand,, And yes this could of all happened in the UK,,
But what you need to know is that you become very vunerable and frustrated the first few weeks or months after the initial high of being in New Zealand. Due to the fact ,, you don t know how things work or where to get the simplest of things,, So everyday things that you would just do or take for granted in the UK take twice as long or you just can t do or pay over the odds for.. That has been an issue with every Ex pat I ve encountered ,
Sometimes these frustrations can build up and can grind you down that some days you just have enough and want to return to the familiarity of what you know
Iwish you luck GS
Old Sep 11th 2011, 10:46 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Half of Australia lives by the beach and has a swimming pool, it's so passe and taken very much for granted.
As a matter of fact, NZ has the highest swimming pools per capita ratio in the world.

Edit : According to some sites, and then others say Oz ... not important ... carry on ... as you were.

Last edited by waikatoguy; Sep 11th 2011 at 11:47 am.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you GS,,
I wrote this thread the day my handbag was stolen and car was vandalized and to me it was like a smack again in the face,,
I have now calmed down,,
Looking back honestly and talking to my friends we have experienced alot of bad luck since arriving,, However I have now found a better job with a more professional organization,, My partner has also settled with a reputable engineering company . My kids DO love it here::
Yes,, it has been the hardest time of my life adjusting and having to cope with our personal experiences of New Zealand,, And yes this could of all happened in the UK,,
But what you need to know is that you become very vunerable and frustrated the first few weeks or months after the initial high of being in New Zealand. Due to the fact ,, you don t know how things work or where to get the simplest of things,, So everyday things that you would just do or take for granted in the UK take twice as long or you just can t do or pay over the odds for.. That has been an issue with every Ex pat I ve encountered ,
Sometimes these frustrations can build up and can grind you down that some days you just have enough and want to return to the familiarity of what you know
Iwish you luck GS
That's excellent news, hopefully everything will continue to turn around for you and I look forward to reading your updates in the future!

Thanks for your wishes, fingers crossed things will go to plan
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry you are having it so tough too . However, a lot of what you are unhappy about is also true of the UK. Vandalism (think riots recently as well), awful problems in the NHS and in private care homes for elderly and disabled, where people are left to starve, beaten or abused.
Our schools are hit and miss and the way the school system are constantly having to change policies, qualifications etc means that most are confused. There has been a 'spate' of Nursery staff imprisoned for abusing very young children in their care....and the list goes on.
What I'm trying to say is that nowhere on this earth is Paradise. However, it is up to each individual person as to where they perceive the closest to this is. My men have been in ChCh since October last year and wouldn't change it for anywhere else. Who knows, a few years down the line they may change their mind, just as we decided we no longer wanted to live in the UK!
You have given it a chance, in your opinion and now it is your decision what you will do next and where you will do it.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Just a thought for you in the area we live, Devon, which is seen as a nice area, you will not get a officer to visit for a burglary, the cuts they have made are so drastic it is affecting everything. This can only lead to less arrests & prosecutions and more confident criminals!!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Iwish you luck GS[/QUOTE]

I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement. (Apart from the initial high, didn't happen for me, well, was visiting the in-laws in Auckland !) For example I tried to register at one of the Doctor's practices in town here in NZ. I got turned down for the first two as their caseload was full. I sat outside in the car and cried. No doctor ? Was I some sort of leper ? I found a doctor that was taking new patients - surgery hours 9 to 5 with an hour for lunch, yes really. At least we've got a doctor now. An initial health screen appointment with the practice nurse followed by an appointment with the doctor are now scheduled. I accept these will cost as we live in NZ. Money for old rope as it's at the surgery's request. Yes we have health insurance but no, routine doctor's appointments aren't covered.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 10:49 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your advice and grammar lesson !!!! ,,justcol ,, There is always one on these forums
We are giving it a year, so we can build up funds to enable us to move on and also decide on a place to live
Ignore that twat 'justcool' he obviously has some problems with his life and shite! all his spare time is talking shite to people on here feel sorry for the old codger

Sorry to hear about your problems as soon as we get citizenship we are gonna look at Oz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.