Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

World Cup Radio coverage

World Cup Radio coverage

Old Jun 18th 2014, 3:08 am
Just Joined

MarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to all
Default World Cup Radio coverage

Hi all,

Looking for some advice! I'd love to listen to the World Cup games on the radio when I'm in the office in the morning. I can't listen through my browser at work (long story...but the computers here don't play sound).

So I'm stuck with listening on my phone. I have the 'Tunein Rado' app that can tune into any radio station in the world, but try and listen to WC games on BBC Radio 5 Live or ESPN in the US and you're greeted with ''Due to broadcasting rights, we cannot broadcast this game in your country''.

So I suppose I have two questions. Are there any NZ radio stations that provide live commentary on the games?

If not, does anyone know of any mobile phone app (preferably for a Windows Phone, but I could you my iPhone if need be), that switches your IP into thinking you're in another country, much like the Hola extension does on Google Chrome.

Many thanks! I'm going crazy not having any coverage of the games and my Kiwi colleagues don't feel my pain!
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:38 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Cup Radio coverage

I'm surprised you can't get radio - I didn't think that was geo blocked.

Hola has an app for iPhone and android - have you tried it?
Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:41 am
Just Joined

nickhats is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also in desperate need for this!!!

Originally Posted by jmh

Hola has an app for iPhone and android - have you tried it?
What is this hola app?

Let me know if you find something.

Cheers!
Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:47 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickhats
I'm also in desperate need for this!!!

What is this hola app?

Let me know if you find something.

Cheers!
Here: Hola – Access ALL of the web (free VPN) & faster browsing

I use it on my chrome browser but not on a phone.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

For sure the beeb's blocking of their internet 5 live sports coverage overseas is always inconsistant and annoying. I regular try and follow the tennis rand slams and the cricket, it's weird often you'll find sometimes it's fine, othertimes blocked.

Certainly a struggle to follow the World Cup football in NZ too, there's been some very decent coverage on the free to air tv again, but any coverage in the press & on the local radio is dreadful. In the NZ Herald it's behind ocean's of rugby coverage and ditto on the radio, both take perverse delight in referring to it as soccer.

Still no worries for tomorrow's big game, I've taken the day off, hoping we don't join Spain & the Aussies existing the tournement after two games. Tough on the Aussies, they've played well for most of both their games.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Ianriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same problem. I am currently using an android phone and cannot get it to hide its IP on tune in radio using mobile data but if it's connected to a wifi network using unotelly (which I use for TV too) it works fine. I thought I missed the English pundits until I saw Adrian Chiles' hamfisted presentation style and immediately changed my mind.

No app (that works) for it though.
I used to have an iPhone and could trick it using mobile data as well as wifi.
The setup is easy enough with step by step instructions on the website.

You can also try TV When Away and unblock US, they all do free trials so you should get the rest of the World Cup on radio without paying anything!