Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Working Environment

The Working Environment

Old Jun 20th 2013, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

elk1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Working Environment

When I was young, with lots of enthusiasm and drive to succeed I worked in the City of London, it was a hot bed of politic's, manipulation, and bitchiness. After each maternity leave (there were 3) I found it harder and harder to go back into that environment to the point I just stopped.
But I love my work, if only I could just do my work, without all the politics and nastiness.

Now we are moving to NZ and I am hoping the NZ work environment is different? How have you found the office environment I notice people don't where ties?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 8:48 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Working Environment

Hmmm.... I think that there is probably a bigger difference between sectors than between countries. I've not worked in the sort of City jobs you have, so I can't compare. Politics is the human condition, and you'll find it everywhere. It's probably more about how well it's managed (and how well the egos are managed!).

I got to the point where I couldn't stand corporate life and have become self employed. I'm much happier making my own decisions and planning my own working day. To me a workplace where you turn up on time and suck up to the boss is just like being back at school. In a way it's demeaning.

What sort of work will you be looking for?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elk1973
When I was young, with lots of enthusiasm and drive to succeed I worked in the City of London, it was a hot bed of politic's, manipulation, and bitchiness. After each maternity leave (there were 3) I found it harder and harder to go back into that environment to the point I just stopped.
But I love my work, if only I could just do my work, without all the politics and nastiness.

Now we are moving to NZ and I am hoping the NZ work environment is different? How have you found the office environment I notice people don't where ties?
Hi,
I have the experience of a professional office job in Manchester versus the same in Wellington CBD and I was amazed at the difference.
You are correct - no ties here. Mandatory back in the UK.
Also most people wear smart slacks or posh jeans instead of suit trousers and seem to wear much more dressy shoes than the usual office brogues then just with an open necked shirt with maybe a merino over the top (half zipped thin pullover).
Tis very laid back dress wise but so is the actual way we work and the mentality of the management.
It's like real office politics haven't been invented yet. Maybe that's what people discuss at the mandatory 10am and 3pm proper tea breaks or round the table with friends / colleagues at other times of the day in our own in house coffee shop which puts a Costa Coffee shop in the UK to shame ha ha!
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:14 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Working Environment

I enjoy the work here. You can keep a bottle of whisky under your desk and no one gets their undies in a tangle if you have a few drinks while at lunch.

Don't do the kiwi casual dress thing though, if I feel adventurous I'll wear a waistcoat Friday afternoon .
Old Jun 20th 2013, 7:07 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland likes to think it compares to the likes of Sydney, NY and London ...... therefor if you're working for a professional organisation you'll be expected to wear appropriate clothing ..... don't think thongs and boardies will go down too well in a business meeting (even on dress-down Fridays)!!
Old Jun 20th 2013, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are some very good reasons why so many Kiwis are self-employed.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

SimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant future

My first impressions are that, having consulted for probably about 20 major organisations in the UK, NZ was the first place I've ever witnessed people truly working co-operatively. Let's see how it plays out but my impressions so far are very positive.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

You'll still find it, but perhaps less of it.

I've just finished a 7 year stint in London and had a decent working environment. Which goes to show that people are people, no matter where in the world you work.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
Auckland likes to think it compares to the likes of Sydney, NY and London ......
You write this as if this sort of ambition should be derided.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jmh
Hmmm.... I think that there is probably a bigger difference between sectors than between countries. I've not worked in the sort of City jobs you have, so I can't compare. Politics is the human condition, and you'll find it everywhere. It's probably more about how well it's managed (and how well the egos are managed!).

I got to the point where I couldn't stand corporate life and have become self employed. I'm much happier making my own decisions and planning my own working day. To me a workplace where you turn up on time and suck up to the boss is just like being back at school. In a way it's demeaning.

What sort of work will you be looking for?
I'm Test Manager (if you don't know what that is, its managing the delivery IT solutions - usually within a large corporation like banking, retail and so on). Finding a job in NZ is not difficult I am actually spoilt for choice - its my fear of going 'back in'.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SimonR
My first impressions are that, having consulted for probably about 20 major organisations in the UK, NZ was the first place I've ever witnessed people truly working co-operatively. Let's see how it plays out but my impressions so far are very positive.
Now that sounds positive
Old Jun 21st 2013, 4:21 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
You write this as if this sort of ambition should be derided.
Yes and...??!!
Old Jun 21st 2013, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

gazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience office politics is as prevelant here as in the UK. One word of warning the attitude of employers (the boss) is 20 years behind the UK and their behaviour at times just would not be accepted any longer in the UK. I work in the logistics sector and to be frank the standard of management is appalling.

Having said all that I have found if you clearly communicate you will not tolerate such behaviour then they tend to back down very quickly.....Kiwi's don't like conflict either!

NZ is beautiful and everything we hoped for, don't let office politics stop you coming.

Good luck.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 11:42 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elk1973
I'm Test Manager (if you don't know what that is, its managing the delivery IT solutions - usually within a large corporation like banking, retail and so on). Finding a job in NZ is not difficult I am actually spoilt for choice - its my fear of going 'back in'.
I worked in an IT office in London which was fine, but one of the female staff told me about an earlier company she worked at which was a male dominated cock-fighting arena. The stories she told me were appalling, and being female she was singled out for special treatment.

I don't think you'll find those sorts of high pressure environments here. I suspect it may be more common in London as well.

It is true that Kiwi's don't like confrontation. That doesn't mean you can walk all over them, it means that if they don't like your attitude your contract won't be renewed next time. Bear that in mind.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazmfc
In my experience office politics is as prevelant here as in the UK. One word of warning the attitude of employers (the boss) is 20 years behind the UK and their behaviour at times just would not be accepted any longer in the UK. I work in the logistics sector and to be frank the standard of management is appalling.
I have had about five jobs in NZ and get to deal with a heck of lot of people in other businesses: I couldn't agree with you more, the bar for management is set very low. What can you expect when most of them have been elevated to positions way beyond their qualifications and experience; justified only the basis of the personal references and people they know.

There are so many show ponies that have all the talk and big themselves up but at the end of the day they really don't have a clue.

I find the office politics and particularly the nastiness and manipulative behaviour is worse than I have ever experienced in the past and just as well to steer very clear, because everyone knows someone from a previous life or is related in some way.

People are people; the office affairs, gossipy huddles and scandal and sucking up all still go on. I have stories that would make ones eyes, ears and hair curl and it's very clear that many incompetent people only hold their jobs because they have the dirt on someone else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.