Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Work to Residence rights!

Work to Residence rights!

Old Jul 21st 2007, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all
Default Work to Residence rights!

Are you still entitled to NHS service and would OH get taxed just like any other NZ resident? Is it 33%? That seems quite high to me!

Apparently, Polish workers in the UK get charged emergency tax!

Basically, hubby is still smarting (he feels unwanted, bless him!) at the fact that we were not invited to apply and is nervous about going out to NZ under any other visa!
Old Jul 21st 2007, 10:24 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Work to Residence rights!

We were in Christchurch with a work visa and we got medical treatment for one of the kids who broke his collar bone. ACC covers the cost. But you have to pay to see the doctor. We were told to go to the local small private doctors but we did not as we did not want to pay (nor afford it) $120 just to be told go to the hospital. The hospital was very clean and the staff were great. There was even a phone for you to use for free. The doctor we saw was a Brit. But some people i worked with thought i was wasting the hospitals time and should have just gone to the small place. Sorry but i don't take a chance with my kids health.

Dentistry work in NZ is very expensive by the way. People i worked with were being quoted $800 and more for work. Pirates.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Thanks Lenmil, at least I know going to the doctor is the same as for everyone else.

Does anyone know about the income tax situation?!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:01 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
Does anyone know about the income tax situation?!
Yeah, for those on a wage, here is the breakdown as it currently stands --

- 0 to 38,000 you'll have 19.5% of your income taken out

- 38,001 to 59,999 they'll take 33% of that

- anything over 60,000 they take 39% of that

-on top of all that you'll have 1.6% taken out for ACC (bargain!)

For example lets say you make 50,000 per year. Your first 38,000 is taxed at 19.5 % leaving you with 30,590. Your next 12,000 is taxed at 33% which will leave you 8040. Minus the ACC and you end up with approximately NZ$730 take home per week. Then you might or might not elect to go into the Kiwisaver programme which may have your take home pay further reduced by 4% or 8% (but you'll eventually get that money back plus some lolly as well).

These figures are approximate. I'm certainly not an accountant and your mileage may vary. At any rate, these are the tax rates as I understand them.

Last edited by happynz; Jul 22nd 2007 at 6:04 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you HappyNZ, and that applies to any worker in NZ not just those with permanent residence?!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by happynz
Yeah, for those on a wage, here is the breakdown as it currently stands --

- 0 to 38,000 you'll have 19.5% of your income taken out

- 38,001 to 59,999 they'll take 33% of that

- anything over 60,000 they take 39% of that

-on top of all that you'll have 1.6% taken out for ACC (bargain!)

For example lets say you make 50,000 per year. Your first 38,000 is taxed at 19.5 % leaving you with 30,590. Your next 12,000 is taxed at 33% which will leave you 8040. Minus the ACC and you end up with approximately NZ$730 take home per week. Then you might or might not elect to go into the Kiwisaver programme which may have your take home pay further reduced by 4% or 8% (but you'll eventually get that money back plus some lolly as well).

These figures are approximate. I'm certainly not an accountant and your mileage may vary. At any rate, these are the tax rates as I understand them.

And hubby moans about the 20% he currently has deducted!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:01 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
Thank you HappyNZ, and that applies to any worker in NZ not just those with permanent residence?!
Yes, it applies to everyone, whether they are on PR, on temporary work permit or on a work-holiday-visa. Wellington's gonna get a wedge from your pie.