Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Woot! We're all booked up!

Woot! We're all booked up!

Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Woot! We're all booked up!

Originally Posted by Maz
Wow Caroline, that's an excellent deal! Might have to check them out.

Kiwi, we intend on spending a week in and around Wellington, hopefully relaxing some, too. If our schedule gets too hectic, we're going to leave the car in Welly and just get the train back up to Auckland. If we love it enough to move there, we'll have to save something for our hols when we're there and can't yet afford to go to Oz.

or just book a one way flight back, theyre pretty cheap too...no need to get all the details sorted just yet....

now on the the itinerary.......lots of fun planning it im sure

ever been to nz b4?
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:19 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
So, Maz, what do you think you are looking for that will be enough to move here? A genuine question by the way! For me it wasn't any one thing, just a special feeling about it that made me feel like I was 'home' that i was meant to be here, cant explain it any better than that!
I asked hubby, he said, "some special opportunities, that I couldn't get here". Bear in mind we currently live in the far-western Chicago suburbs in the city (3rd biggest in Illinois) that he was born in, and the county next to us, that our daughter's future school district is based in, is the 3rd fastest growing county in the entire US. All depends on what he wants to end up doing, and what he can find, that he feels comfortable doing. He's a toolmaker - tool & die maker - by trade. Damn good at his job, too.

For me... a little less than hubby, I think, even though he's said he doesn't want to retire "here". I have pressed him on "here" and a lot of it, to be honest, is the weather. A fair chunk is the area, how quickly it's growing, etc. 10 years ago our house didn't exist, and it was *all* lovely fertile farmland around here. I'm not all gung-ho about staying in the US, though I'm not sure he'd be *completely* comfortable leaving the US for such a relatively tiny landmass. I took citizenship just over 6 years ago and am a dual citizen (so's our daughter), but don't feel "American" much at all now. I used to... but that was pretty short-lived.

I'm looking for a better place to bring up our daughter. A country that's not the planet bully. Somewhere that's out of the public eye, more. Somewhere cleaner, somewhere where the way of life is more relaxed. Somewhere where we can have a more outdoorsy lifestyle (difficult when it's either disgustingly hot and humid, or -20C and snowing tons...).
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:22 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newkiwi
or just book a one way flight back, theyre pretty cheap too...no need to get all the details sorted just yet....

now on the the itinerary.......lots of fun planning it im sure

ever been to nz b4?
Oh definitely we're not in a rush to get it all sorted out. I still want to read through the eyewitness guide first and pore over the road atlas we have. Good idea about the one-way flights.

And no, I've never been outside Europe or the US. I can't wait! I nearly emigrated to Oz when I was fresh out of college, but they wanted proof that I had GBP10,000 in the bank. Ba ha ha ha ha!!!! So obviously that didn't happen. I didn't know enough about the place anyway.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Shell2006 is an unknown quantity at this point

"what the hell are we going to do with ourselves after landing at 5.10 a.m. on a Monday morning? "

We had the same problem last April. Decided to dump the bags at the hotel and do a bit of sight seeing until the room was ready. Got to the hotel, only to be told that the room was already ready Nearly kissed him Worth a try?
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:06 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by Shell2006
"what the hell are we going to do with ourselves after landing at 5.10 a.m. on a Monday morning? "

We had the same problem last April. Decided to dump the bags at the hotel and do a bit of sight seeing until the room was ready. Got to the hotel, only to be told that the room was already ready Nearly kissed him Worth a try?
Excellent! Definitely worth a try, that's for sure. Why do all flights arrive - at least from the US - at this awful time of day?
Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:47 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Buzzy Bee said in another thread (that naturally I can't find right now, figures) that Qantas sucks.
I wish I had booked my flights through them then. I havent had a ........
Old Nov 18th 2006, 4:24 pm
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Maz
Excellent! Definitely worth a try, that's for sure. Why do all flights arrive - at least from the US - at this awful time of day?
By the time you get out of the airport and sorted, you'll be able to find some great coffee shops and bakeries open, Mmmmmmmmmmm........ best thing about getting up in NZ
going out for Breakfast
Old Nov 18th 2006, 5:17 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by SirEglamore
By the time you get out of the airport and sorted, you'll be able to find some great coffee shops and bakeries open, Mmmmmmmmmmm........ best thing about getting up in NZ
going out for Breakfast
Ooooh that sounds good! That's one of the things I miss about France, the cafe society.