Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wondering whether to back out?

Wondering whether to back out?

Old May 16th 2010, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

rja4096 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wondering whether to back out?

Hi, we have 3 montha left to complete out ITA and not really sure if we can affoard the whole thing, wondering whether to back out or give it a go and say what the hell, just wondered if anyone else had been in a similar situation and had any advice?

My wife has a job offer in Auckland in the Health Care profession for $60,000.

I' was planning on looking after our 3 small girls and getting working for families tax credit, until all 3 are at school so I could get a part time-job but still be around to do the school run.

We have £3,500 in savings but it looks like the costs stack up as follows, we have not paid any of these yet:

- Medicals £1,000 (Think this is a good price for all 3 of us)
- Socicitors fees to copy and sign documents £200
- Submitting ITA £865
- NZATS registration £400 (registration with Anaesthetics professional body in NZ)
- Levy £400 (sometjhing to do with English language research)
- Flights - don't know yet but assuming approx £2,500
- Accomodation bond - again not sure but hear 4 weeks rent approx £1,000

My mum and dad might help us a bit, think they said they would pay the £865 for the visa.

Just wondered if you think it is all worth it??

In some ways think its now or never, I'm 36, wife 30, kids 6, 4 and 4.

Any advice, cheers, Rick.
Old May 16th 2010, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Jewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wondering whether to back out?

Just wishing u well in your decision making, it's a tough one, mainly because of family that you will be leaving behind. We, that my husband and three children and I are going to actually have family around us as my hubby is from NZ.
Like you said, it's now or never as the older the children get the harder it is to move them but the only advice I can give is sometimes you have to take a chance, even if it doesn't work out so that you won't be looking back in ten years time saying What if...........!
I really hope things work out even if you decide against it
Old May 16th 2010, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rja4096
Hi, we have 3 montha left to complete out ITA and not really sure if we can affoard the whole thing, wondering whether to back out or give it a go and say what the hell, just wondered if anyone else had been in a similar situation and had any advice?

My wife has a job offer in Auckland in the Health Care profession for $60,000.

I' was planning on looking after our 3 small girls and getting working for families tax credit, until all 3 are at school so I could get a part time-job but still be around to do the school run.

We have £3,500 in savings but it looks like the costs stack up as follows, we have not paid any of these yet:

- Submitting ITA £865
- NZATS registration £400 (registration with Anaesthetics professional body in NZ)

My mum and dad might help us a bit, think they said they would pay the £865 for the visa.

hi i think you would be better off just waiting for a couple of years they will always be looking for people like your wife and she could work on her qualifications and get more and it would give you a chance to save some more money i am 52 and just going back in so you have plenty of time yet
Old May 16th 2010, 7:14 pm

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

hmm tough one.

I take the other view point and say give it a go.

Having said that where is the job? as Auckland might be expensive to live in etc etc and so on.

You children are at a great age to move here you have a good job offer and providing you pick the right spot to live and work then if its what you REALLY want to do then go for it.

Is it JUST the cost of getting here that is putting you off is this a strong dream for BOTH of you want.

wait to long and it wont happen as kids get settled in at school and it gets harder to drag them out here without feeling guilty (we came with our four daughters 6 years ago aged then 4,6 12 and15) so have a fair idea of their emotional reactions when doing a move like this. the younger ones were alot easier to settle in than the older two!

all the best and again if coming here is a dream come true go for it! if its a whim then dont!

george
Old May 16th 2010, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

rja4096 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI, thanks for the above advice,

George, the job is in Grafton, so was thinking of renting somewhere within 20 to 30 mins on public transport. We wil only be able to afford sometjhing like $350 max rent per week, an hoping only 2 bedrooms will do as my 3 are all girls. Do you know an area to recommend?

I'm feeling it would make more sense to wait a few years, but think that if we do that then it will just not happen - which has been the story of my life really, being too cautions, not a rick taker, but would love to just go for it, but wondering if this is really irresponsible with not enough cash?

Thanks for all, cheers, Rick.
Old May 16th 2010, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say go for it but then I'm about to take the plunge on my own having never even visited NZ before and going to a town where I know no one so I might not be the best person to ask!
Old May 16th 2010, 7:58 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Only you can make this decision but for what it's worth, I would go for it. If you have the resolve and determination to succeed, then a lack of finances shouldn't be an obstacle......but you have 3 girls to consider.

Good luck with the decision, whatever it may be
Old May 16th 2010, 8:06 pm

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

hmm again!!

Why Auckland!

that is the first mistake I would say!

One thing is for sure you wont be living anywhere near where you work which will make for a crap commute in crap traffic which imo defeats the move here same shit different country!

I would say forget Auckland on a budjet and look to the south island Christchurch or Dunedin for more space less stress and a better bang for your buck housing wise.Less traffic nicer people (imo!) and more like NZ should be.

Others on here love Auckland but NOT ME!

hard choices

all the best

george
Old May 16th 2010, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirplug
Only you can make this decision but for what it's worth, I would go for it. If you have the resolve and determination to succeed, then a lack of finances shouldn't be an obstacle......but you have 3 girls to consider.

Good luck with the decision, whatever it may be
I agree with Lisa and Pluggy. Go for it mate. He who dares. Otherwise you'll be 65 and full of 'what ifs'. You have asked our advice..just do it. Might I add that I would also agree with the waiting for 2 years bit but your bit about the 'story of my life is not doing stuff like this' leads me to the conclusion you have to go for it. Now.
Old May 16th 2010, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it.
Old May 16th 2010, 9:39 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Medicals £1,000 (Think this is a good price for all 3 of us)
- Submitting ITA £865
We are doing the same, 5 of us too and OH is an AT, just a few tweaks on those costs:
Our solicitor only charged 10GBP in total for OH´s certs for registration so 200 sounds way over the top unless you have a huge amount of docs to certify.
NZATS registration is $400 not GBP so nearer 200 GBP.

So having saved you 300 GBP I would still say go for it, we are also at the point of now or never with 3 girls to come (12, 10 and 4)...

See you there?
Old May 16th 2010, 9:47 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

- Submitting ITA £865

Hi Rick tough choices ahead for you.
I noticed you had not put down shipping cost on your list of things. We have just had (first) quotes in £3,700 for 20ft and £5,500 for 40ft containers . Sorry not putting a dampner ondampener but something you will need to take into account as well.

Having said that I agree with others it is ultimately your choice and you do have the girls to consider but.......... would you always regret it if you didnt?

Best of luck with your decision

Dewb
Old May 16th 2010, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Emigrating is an expensive business, there are no doubts about that. Do you have any equity from your house in the UK or are you renting?

As Dewb says, don't forget to take shipping into account - bring as much as you can. Even bringing a container, setting up a new house costs money - restocking the kitchen, bathroom etc and there are hidden costs such as paying for medical care, school donations, rubbish to be collected etc...

Having said all that, we gulped at costs too, but we took the plunge and don't regret it one little bit, we have a much better life here, and it's much cheaper entertaining the children, sports/music clubs are cheaper and the beach/bush is FREE

Good luck in making the right decision for YOU.
Old May 16th 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

HI, thanks for the above advice,

George, the job is in Grafton, so was thinking of renting somewhere within 20 to 30 mins on public transport. We wil only be able to afford sometjhing like $350 max rent per week, an hoping only 2 bedrooms will do as my 3 are all girls. Do you know an area to recommend?

I'm feeling it would make more sense to wait a few years, but think that if we do that then it will just not happen - which has been the story of my life really, being too cautions, not a rick taker, but would love to just go for it, but wondering if this is really irresponsible with not enough cash?

Thanks for all, cheers, Rick.
Do you want to move to NZ? If you really do then you should not be saying "no" because of a couple of grand upfront costs, bearing in mind you already have a job lined up and are in a better position than a lot of people wanting to move.

I really dont think the upfront costs should be a reason to give up on moving to NZ, maybe you are having second thoughts (which is natural) but you should be honest and upfront about that to yourself, and not use the costs as an excuse not to go.

There are places around Auckland to rent, Grafton isnt as accessible as the City centre for public transport but the train station is nearby so that helps.

I think, if you dont take this opportunity, you wont take one in future. Things are probably as good for emigrating as they are ever going to be, they are not magically going to be "better" or "easier" in a few years time.

If you decide you want to emigrate to Nz, then now is the time really, if you dont want to then you dont have to, but dont kid yourself that it will be easier "in a few years time"

BTW, its perfectly natural to be stressing about it!!
Old May 17th 2010, 9:54 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, it's a difficult one.

Me and OH (no kids) came ver with £4000 in our pockets....not counting flights, meds, shipping, temp accomm, just £4000 spending monies and we went through it like a flash.

Yes we spent the first week acting like it was a holiday and that's what ew had said we'd do....spend without thinking too too much as we didn't want to have our first memories dampened by no funds.

BUT after paying for a sofa, fridge/freezer, washing machine, rental bond and a few basics for the rental whislt waiting for our stuff to get here we pretty much had $100 spending money to last 3 weeks (not counting rent). It was tough waiting for my first proper pay check (last week), but so far we have been thinking it was completely totally worth it.

However, if you really only have £3500 for EVERYTHING including the pre-move stuff, I would be thinking twice because all your funds will be pretty much gone before you get here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.