Winter

Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of
Default Winter

Woke up in Wellington to rain and wind and it is pretty cold.

I have my wood coming on Saturday and I have been chopping the rest over the last few weeks making the most of the long evenings.

Days are getting shorter, the clocks will be back before you know it.

What does everyone love or hate about winter? Personally I like winter, you get to wear more clothes the fire is on the central heating is on and you have an excuse for sitting a home all weekend watching DVD's. The winters here are a lot milder than in England to what's not to love?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Winter

As someone who hasnt been here very long - i am marvelling at the fact that i havent worn proper shoes since 5th January - i dont like having to wear too many clothes - dont much like having the central heating on (not that we have any!!) - and was never a fan of the dark nights or watching telly. So i would like to say Stop wishing my lovely autumn away!!

However, it was rather nice to snuggle up under my newly unpacked feather duvet the other night - very cosy

Psycho
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psychopandy
As someone who hasnt been here very long - i am marvelling at the fact that i havent worn proper shoes since 5th January - i dont like having to wear too many clothes - dont much like having the central heating on (not that we have any!!) - and was never a fan of the dark nights or watching telly. So i would like to say Stop wishing my lovely autumn away!!

However, it was rather nice to snuggle up under my newly unpacked feather duvet the other night - very cosy

Psycho
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by j19fmm
its not that funny - stop laughing - and i hear the fog is pretty awful toooo.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

its not that funny - stop laughing - and i hear the fog is pretty awful toooo.
Oh but think how lovely the trees are going to look when the leaves start to change colour, ooo I can picture the scene now......actually I'm sure there's a picture of it on my calendar...
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

i would rather look at a picture - and if the fog is that bad - i may not be able to see that far up !
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

i would rather look at a picture - and if the fog is that bad - i may not be able to see that far up !
Have you morphed in to a whinging pom already??? Dartmoor fog for years..you'll be right
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bro69
Woke up in Wellington to rain and wind and it is pretty cold.

I have my wood coming on Saturday and I have been chopping the rest over the last few weeks making the most of the long evenings.

Days are getting shorter, the clocks will be back before you know it.

What does everyone love or hate about winter? Personally I like winter, you get to wear more clothes the fire is on the central heating is on and you have an excuse for sitting a home all weekend watching DVD's. The winters here are a lot milder than in England to what's not to love?
Wheres the best place to get firewood from, what type should i go for, how much will i need for winter,how much should i be paying, can i just buy a chainsaw and go playing in the woods ?

Neil
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Have you morphed in to a whinging pom already??? Dartmoor fog for years..you'll be right
does that sound likely to you??
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am actually very impressed with most everything i have seen - not everything - but most.
nothing to make me go back.

And i have always had an opinion that i will voice if something winds me up or makes me cross! thats just me. would happen wherever i was - i blame my father

And i will take this winter on the chin - i will put my trousers back on put proper shoes on - and maybe even a coat - and then i will come out the other side - with less clothes on again just dont mean i got to like it x
Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Wheres the best place to get firewood from, what type should i go for, how much will i need for winter,how much should i be paying, can i just buy a chainsaw and go playing in the woods ?

Neil
We got ours from the firewood guys they seem ok pine is cheap but a quick burner get a mix of slow and quick burning, depending on how much you have the fire one one or two cords should do you.

Firewood guys deliver cheap to The Hutt and $10 to Wellington, they have a truck which is just over a cord so pretty good value. We got through a cord last year but we have a small house with central heating and insulation so it's pretty quick to heat.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I thought u where in CHCH i think i will need someone a bit closer

Neil
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

My location does say Chch I haven't changed it in the past 3 years I've been in Wellington. Wiz n Ton have a shed full of wood I'm sure they'll give you a fair price.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:43 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil

Neil
Hi mate. Best place for wood? Well, whoever is closest and cheapest! Look in The Press classifieds, the Yellow Pages, and whatever the local rag to you is. Compare prices, ask the neigbours, and you'll see who comes out best. As for how much? Well depends on several things. How big is the place you want to heat, how long will you want to heat it for, and is it insulated? You've seen our place, and with us home about 1/2 the time last Winter we got through 6 cubic metres or 2 cords of pine and another 2 cube of mixed. That is a lot of wood. We had no insulation at the time, which certainly didn't help. Pine burns quick but not too hot, macrocarpa burns hot and slow, but needs some faster burning pine with it to keep it going (depending on your wood burner) and blue gum burns great but quite quick. Price-wise I think anywhere around $50 per cube for pine, to $100+ per cube for macro, and somewhere in between for gum. Trademe's a great place to get familiar with prices.

Originally Posted by bro69
My location does say Chch I haven't changed it in the past 3 years I've been in Wellington. Wiz n Ton have a shed full of wood I'm sure they'll give you a fair price.
Haha! That wood was hard won, doing it old skool with a chainsaw, a trailer, and an axe. Never again. 2 days full on effort for 7 cube of pine. It was so wet it's taken a year to dry, and saved us $40! I'll be buying it in future!

Last edited by Wiz'n'Ton; Mar 17th 2010 at 12:54 am. Reason: added prices
Old Mar 17th 2010, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of

please stop with the winter!

we just finished a mega one here in the UK and I am brilliantly timed to arrive in NZ just before it begins there...

just put it down to genius planning

could you not all just keep it warm for a few more weeks? go on.... I don't even have a house yet and I need to think about firewood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.